November 2014 Moms
Options

Getting baby to sleep in crib

So we have been home from the hospital about a week now. And the only place our daughter will sleep is in our arms. Any suggestions on how to transition to the crib? Have tried a small bassinet and that doesn't seem to work. Thoughts?

Re: Getting baby to sleep in crib

• Options
    We swaddle dd while she's still drowsy and put her down in the crib on a blanket warmed in the dryer.. She sleeps really well in her crib now :)
  • Options
    We haven't transitioned this LO yet, but DS1 did well when we used a sound machine and swaddled.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    +1 to the sound machine and swaddle. We use the Rock n Play which isn't for everyone but I feel like it's a good halfway point between the bassinet and co sleeping. Prob will switch gradually over to bassinet over the next month.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Both my kids have been the same way for the first few weeks. Nothing has worked for us but time. They do eventually grow out of it, so just try to be patient if swaddling, warm blankets, etc., don't work right away. Definitely give those things a try though.
  • Options
    Having the same issue and we've become reluctant bed sharers. We start her in the bassinet next to our bed, but by 3am I'm done fighting. We put her down and 10 minutes later she's crying. She actually does WORSE when swaddled. Just taking it day by day and hoping the stretches she stays in the bassinet get longer.
  • Options
    +1 to the sound machine and swaddle. We use the Rock n Play which isn't for everyone but I feel like it's a good halfway point between the bassinet and co sleeping. Prob will switch gradually over to bassinet over the next month.
    This! The RnP is working great right now because DS doesn't like to be totally flat on his back. In a few weeks, we'll try to transition to our Halo Bassinest. We plan on room sharing until he outgrows the bassinet.

image      image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are in the same boat and at almost 3 weeks LO is doing a little better.... We use the swaddle/sound machine combination with the bassinet right next to our bed. The best she's done is 3 hours.... We keep telling ourselves it'll get better.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are swaddling and using a sound machine to get our LO to sleep in her bassinet. We will do the same when she transitions to her crib.
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • Options
    We started by having LO take naps in her crib.  Of course we have to have a sound machine, swaddle her and also put a pillow under the mattress of her crib (she has a little bit of reflux).  Last night was the first night that she slept in her crib and she did pretty well

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    We start in the crib and he wakes around 1:30-2am and then I'm too tired and bring him to our bed.. I keep telling myself I'll rock and nurse him back to sleep and put him in the crib but I love my sleep =\
  • Options
    We actually had to switch from a bassinet to the RNP ... DD wouldn't sleep in the bassinet but would sleep n her pack n play just fine, so we decided to try out the rnp... so far so good although she does have a stint in the middle of the night (usually around 12-3) where she is wide awake. Hopefully there isn't any confusion/upset when trying to transition her to the crib from the RnP now... I plan to do that around a month old, so still 2 weeks or so to go. Kind of makes me sad to think about, not having her right by me, so we'll see how that goes!

• Options
    Can you guys recommend a good sound machine?

IAmPregnant Ticker

First Met: March 13, 2009
    Married: September 13, 2012 
    BFP: March 4, 2014
    EDD: 11/25/2014 
    Three furbabies: Franklin (8) Amos (4) Sasha (2) 

• Options
    Third time mom and how have I never thought of the heated swaddler/blanket.  I'll have to try this tonight as Little Girl seems to only sleep long stretches if being held.
  • Options
    Can you guys recommend a good sound machine?
    I just use a white noise app on my phone. I find it gives me better control and options than the two white noise machines I've used.

IRT sleeping in arms, it's normal and to be expected, given that they've been living inside their moms for 9 months. It's frustrating but they do grow out of it, and IMO it makes their transition to the world easier if they get to maintain closeness for the first few weeks. For me, I'll keep trying different strategies but not push it too hard. So far he's really not interested in the bassinet or RNP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"