Breastfeeding
Options

Should I only nurse on one side?

My daughter is EBF and 3 months old today. She has been an excellent nurser from day one - always emptying both breasts at every feeding - and she is huge! (She was a full pound over her birth weight by two weeks old. She's over 15 lbs now and in the 95th percentile.) But she has always spit up a LOT. Way more than my son ever did. I've had several friends with newborns comment on how much my daughter spits up. Obviously, even with that much spitting up, she's still getting enough. Her pediatrician said maybe she has mild reflux, but it doesn't seem to bother her - she's a very happy baby. 

Lately, she's been spitting up even more. Last night I nursed her at 3 am (both sides) and when she was done, she spit up a large amount three times - completely soaking a burp rag, a blanket, and my pajama shirt and pants to the point that I had to change. When she was done spitting up, she went back to sleep and slept for three more hours, so she must've still had enough milk in her stomach to keep her satisfied.

I nurse her on demand, and I know that you're supposed to offer both breasts and let them eat until they're done. But with the amount she's spitting up, I'm wondering if it would make sense to only offer one breast at a time. I obviously don't want to deprive her, but this is seriously a ridiculous amount of spit up. Should I give it a shot, or would that be a bad idea at her age? I could always pump the other side so that my supply doesn't tank if this turns out to be a bad system. Thoughts?
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I only nurse on one side?

• Options
    mmandm603 said:
    I don't have a solid answer but just some insight of what worked for me. I always fed just one side and still got a lot of spit up but I noticed my LO would spit up when I had dairy so I cut it out almost totally from my diet. It helped a ton. Also my LO was at peak with spitting up around 3 months which I read is pretty common. So I think he just eventually grew out of it along with me cutting out the dairy.
    Thanks! I actually don't usually consume much dairy other than cheese, but I'll definitely try to keep track of whether she spits up more after I've had dairy.
  • Options
    AmyG* said:
    I would focus on finishing that first side and burp and reoffer side 1 with breast compressions and massage to keep them interested on that side for longer and for more hindmilk (weighs a bit more so not as much spit up) and for continued long comfort nursings.   If baby wants more milk, they'll fuss and pull off and you then put them on side 2.  It's unlikely that you all of a sudden are having issues with dairy at 3 mos--you would see green poopies, and fussiness and other issues aside from just spit up and high weight gai.  It could also be a cold or teething that is causing excess drooling which is contributing to the spit up.
    Thank you!! I'll try that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter has never taken both breasts until just recently and she is 3 months too. I know "they say" you are supposed to offer both. She never took both and if she did she would always spit up. Almost like she got too much.  She seemed satisfied with one and was gaining great. She was over her birth weight at her 5 day check up. Now that she is bigger she seems like she wants more and will now take both breasts. You may want to try just one and she see how she acts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"