Secondary IF
Options

Progesterone and when to take it?

Hello all! I have a 14 yr old and 7 yr old daughter from a previous marriage. My current husband also has 2 boys from his previous marriage. We want to conceive together of course, but seem to be having a very hard time doing so (didn't seem so hard our first rounds). We've been TTC for 2 years, only to result in 2 miscarriages approx. 8 months apart both around 5 weeks. I've been to 3 different doctors through out this journey, and have been told something different or conflicting by each one. Any way, I recently had my hormones tested and was told they are normal. Yet I'm being prescribed progesterone? My doctor said it will help boost a chance for a viable pregnancy, while also regulating and lightening my current painful and heavy periods (sorry tmi). He said to take it the 1st through the 10th of every month. Im confused because after reading through these boards and other research, it seems you would want to take it after ovulating? I called to ask and was told it doesn't make a difference. Every detail makes a difference to me :) and was just wondering what any of your experiences are with taking it if your level is already normal, and when in your cycle? I appreciate your feed back.

Re: Progesterone and when to take it?

• Options
    I was once told to take it ongoing for I can't remember how long to suppress ovulation and then it would be a stronger ovulation the next month. But yes generally it's taken during the luteal phase. I would seek out a different doctor for sure based on your summary. I'm unclear if you are seeing an RE but I'm guessing no....I'd request a referral to one from your family doctor. 

Good luck. 

Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply, from everything I read I gathered it was to be taken in the LP as well. That you take it days 1-10 if your just trying to regulate your period. And no not an RE, just OBGYN - will def take that advice tho this is doc #3 :(. Been shuffled around and treated like a number. Had to wait since last wed to get him to even call me back to clarify, only to be told it shouldn't matter? LOL I didn't think that was right. Thanks again for the response and advice, it will be followed :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the other ladies, find a new doc. I am on my 4th (5th? - who knows) course of progesterone and I have always taken it the last 7 - 10 days of my cycle.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    I swear some of these doctors get their degrees in a box of cracker jacks. I agree with everyone else...run.

June 19, 2010 - Miracle Baby Girl

Round 2
    Since March 2013
    BFP April 2013 - Missed M/C July 2013 @ 12w6d
    BFP December 2013 - CP @ 4w3d
    Eight medicated cycles, three IUIs: FAIL
    IVF #1 Antagonist - January 2015: CP/FAIL

IVF #2 April 2015: Microdose lupron Flare
    ICSI, CCS Freeze all
    6 blasts biopsied/5 normal

FET #1 June 25, 2015 6AA and 5AA blast transfer
    BFP 3dp5dt!
    Beta 8dp5dt 195.2, 10dp5dt 474.8, 12dp5dt 977, 22dp5dt 25,580
    <3 Twins! Our boy and girl coming end of February!  <3

• Options
    On/gyn's are great for general care and ob care. They have no clue how to get you pregnant.

While TTC #1 my genius (ex) dr gave me clomid 4 times unmonitored. He also insisted that we needed to up the dosage every time. After insisting on seeing an RE, we realized that I don't ovulate on my own at all (therefore need a trigger shot) and my cervical mucus thickens from the clomid, killing all sperm. I was pregnant after my 1st clomid/trigger/IuI (and used the same "recipe" the second time). Run not walk to a knowledgable RE!!
  • Options
    I have an apt this week (fri) to get a ref to an RE. This is my 3rd gyno in the apst 2 - 21/2 years, and I was ref to him due to the 2ndary IF - wonder why I wasn't ref to an RE by any professional? I'm sure your all right here with me, but ive been to more doctors and more appts and more testing the past 2 years then in my entire life lol. And you have to make an apt to get a referral - to get another referral it feels like - at least with my insurance neway. So an update - I picked up the prescription and it is for Medroxyprogesterone (10 mg). According to further research online it says DO NOT take medroxy when TTC. Its designed only to regulate your periods and for woman after menopause????? Called my gyno again this morning to question it -and he said he didn't appreciate me using "google" to determine the best treatment or timing of the treatment - that he is the doctor and wouldn't steer me wrong. I told him I have an apt w/ my family doctor to be referred to an RE, and that I will not be taking this med. I'm not trying to bash him, I realize their busy and go through this stuff a million times a day, but your prescribing me something WRONG! I hope the RE I get ref to is at promising as you guys indicate. Thanks for listening and for the advice :) - and Thank God for these threads and for google, because I'd be heading blindly down the wrong path right now if I just took his word for it.
  • Options
    Limbo2000 said:
    So an update - I picked up the prescription and it is for Medroxyprogesterone (10 mg). According to further research online it says DO NOT take medroxy when TTC. Its designed only to regulate your periods and for woman after menopause????? Called my gyno again this morning to question it -and he said he didn't appreciate me using "google" to determine the best treatment or timing of the treatment - that he is the doctor and wouldn't steer me wrong. I told him I have an apt w/ my family doctor to be referred to an RE, and that I will not be taking this med.
    Eeeeek!  Even if nothing else were out of whack, his being annoyed with you for questioning him is a huge red flag.  Glad you're moving on!
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    Medroxyprogesterone is provera!!  If you took it Cycle days 1-10, you'd never ovulate.  

June 19, 2010 - Miracle Baby Girl

Round 2
    Since March 2013
    BFP April 2013 - Missed M/C July 2013 @ 12w6d
    BFP December 2013 - CP @ 4w3d
    Eight medicated cycles, three IUIs: FAIL
    IVF #1 Antagonist - January 2015: CP/FAIL

IVF #2 April 2015: Microdose lupron Flare
    ICSI, CCS Freeze all
    6 blasts biopsied/5 normal

FET #1 June 25, 2015 6AA and 5AA blast transfer
    BFP 3dp5dt!
    Beta 8dp5dt 195.2, 10dp5dt 474.8, 12dp5dt 977, 22dp5dt 25,580
    <3 Twins! Our boy and girl coming end of February!  <3

• Options
    Yup I just looked at my bottle and it says " for provera". AMAZING. Cant wait to see the RE.
  • Options
    Yikes. Any doctor that wouldn't at least take the time to explain why he is prescribing and gets defensive is one I would run from for sure. We throw so Mich crap/meds I think it is essential we have a firm understanding of what we are taking and why we are taking it.
    DS: Born November 2011
    TTC #2 since April '13
    DH 35, Me: 34
    DX: Unexplained Secondary Infertility, Slight DOR
    Sept 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel) = BFN
    Oct 14 - IUI (Clomid + Ovidrel + Progesterone) = BFN
    Nov 14- Benched due to cysts Looking for New Doc
    Feb - IUI #3 (Letrozole + Ovridrel)
    March/April - IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - Follistim+HGH+Low Dose HCG - 11R/9M/5F - 2 8 cell 3dtransfer - BFN on April 23, 2014

• Options
    So right. I'll say it again Thank God for these threads and technology!
  • Options
    Lol @ provera helping you to have a viable pregnancy. Good one, Doc. Good one. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Provera is used to bring on a period. Prometrium (they look like little gumballs- different colors for different dosages) helps sustain progesterone after ovulation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"