August 2014 Moms

"Drowsy but awake"

Pretty much across the board sleep advice as of late is to put the baby down " drowsy but awake"..... Is this some sort of cruel joke? Every time we do this she screams bloody murder and we have to start the whole process all over. wtf, man? Does drowsy but awake work for anyone else? Am I the only one finding this to be complete horsesh*t?

I can't wait to sleep train. I'm gonna sleep train the crap out of this baby!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Drowsy but awake"

• IvyMagic828IvyMagic828 member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah no.  I have to rock/bounce him to sleep or no dice.  Usually swaddled, although I'm trying to get away from that...

My giant baby is basically too big for all the velcro-type swaddles out there already, ahh!

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well when I say drowsy, I mean REALLY drowsy... He will have closed his eyes for more then 30 seconds and then I put him in the crib. He will then wake up a bit, fuss a little and I pat his back as he falls back asleep.

It usually works fine for us. The only time he wakes up screaming a few minutes later is if he needs to burp again. Then we gotta start the whole process over.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Loading the player...
  • My first was like yours @redhorizon343.  My second and third would/will sometimes do drowsy, but only for bedtime.  Night time wakes or naps require full on asleep.
  • Drowsy but awake does not exist for J.  I need to put her down when she is passed out, or else there will be crying.  I can put her in the swing or Rock-n-Play awake and she might dose off for a nap, but there is no putting her in the bassinet awake.

• Doesn't work at all for us! I have to hold DD for about 20 min after she falls asleep in order for her to stay asleep when I put her down.
  • Eyes POP open every time. Lately, I can get her down, but then she will cry within 5 minutes soooooo we start all over. So fun!
  • @kandreas1 When you're trying to establish drowsy but awake, what do you do if he wakes up? Did you have to work on napping all day for the first few days?

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• In a fairytale world! Most times its nurse to sleep then rock for about 15 min to make sure she's out cold. My girl does not like sleeping on her back she will wake right up so yummy it is and I pat her bum some as well.
  • Sometimes? I think it is just pure luck though, or I just caught her at the right time. Most of the time though, she is extremely drowsy and basically asleep before I can put her down.

Bedtime, she falls asleep on me and sleeps on me for awhile, then she gets put into the swing, and then DH will snuggle with her as he doesn't get much of a chance until then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• I have a miracle baby and yes, this works, 9 times out of 10. It never did for my first two, though, i nursed them to sleep for most of the first year.
    Mom to Frances, 6, Adam, 4, and baby Lila.
  • Like others, she goes down drowsy for night sleep, but not naps.
  • Ha...my LO can be drowsy or full out asleep and the moment he touches the crib he is full on awake. He doesn't usually cry but he "plays" in his bed for a loooong time. He will fuss and when I go in he will smile and laugh! Lil stinker!
  • Ck61 said:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! There is no such thing in our house either. I don't have to rock her as long as I used to but it still takes rocking and butt patting to get her down. She also doesn't self soothe. Once she starts fussing she has to be picked up to be calm down. :(

Yes, everything you said describes us exactly!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• It worked for DD... one time.
  • Yeah I nurse my daughter to sleep every night. Basically since day one. There are some rare nights where she'll wake up when she's done nursing, when I put her on my shoulder to burp her, or when I stand up from the rocking chair to put her in her crib. In all those situations, I either keep rocking her or pat her back until she goes back to sleep for a bit. If I put her down when she's any level of awake, she'll stay awake, sometimes fighting sleep just to stare at me! lol I definitely don't mind nursing or rocking her to sleep.. Working full time, I'll take all the cuddles I can get!
  • I don't even want it. I like nursing and rocking to sleep.
  • I almost hate to comment on this thread because it works great for us. Yes, we've done "drowsy but awake" since he was two weeks. He's a miracle baby and it now works awesome (it was a learning process for all of us at first couple of weeks).

I'm not sure I've ever put him down asleep.
  • DD will usually cry for about 3 minutes before she falls asleep in my arms or in the crib. I think she might be a "blow off some steam" sort of kid. Eventually she'll stop spitting out her pacifier and take it from me. She'll suck it vigorously before passing out.

So we have a drowsy, irate and sleep cycle.

• My little one will be 4 months on Saturday and we're on day 3 of drowsy but awake sleep and so far so good.
  • We aren't training, we just do what works for us. Most nights he will go down without much, if any, fight. Some nights involve more cuddling and rocking. We look at it as more time with him and know he won't need us forever.
  • Meh, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I like holding her and snuggling her for a while before I put her down anyway. She'll get to the point where she doesn't want to be rocked and cuddled all too soon IMO. It's not like we're going to be rocking our 16 year olds to get them to bed at night, so I'm just going to enjoy it while I can.

This.
  • chase16 said:

Meh, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I like holding her and snuggling her for a while before I put her down anyway. She'll get to the point where she doesn't want to be rocked and cuddled all too soon IMO. It's not like we're going to be rocking our 16 year olds to get them to bed at night, so I'm just going to enjoy it while I can.

This.
    Yes! I don't get enough time with DD during the day. I am loving the extra cuddle time. And one day I will even miss not having those cuddles anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"