Cloth Diapering
Options

When to supplement?

So my milk supply is beginning to decrease with this pregnancy.

Previously I pumped 15-20 oz while at work (8 hrs). My MIL has always had a hard time "only" feeding DD 5 oz bottles and I've struggled constantly with her over feeding DD. She burned through my freezer supply without me knowing the last few months and now I'm worried if DD is getting enough milk now that my supply is dropping.

She nurses in the morning (and a night! Ugh!) and then has 3 bottles while I'm at work and nurses before bed. Right now she's getting about 10-12 oz's in her bottles instead of her normal 15. She eats a lot of solid foods though and is a great eater.

When I asked my doctor what to do if my milk started decreasing, he pretty much just brushed it off and said we can talk at my next appt if necessary, which is not for another 2 weeks.

My question is should I start supplementing formula at this age for the few ounces she's not getting now, or have my MIL give more solids instead? I've been seriously fighting the last few weeks to try to make it a couple more months until a year, but having a really hard time. On top of being incredibly sick and my milk decreasing...my nips have literally been sucked raw again! :-S This breastfeeding while pregnant thing is no joke!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to supplement?

• Options
    First, hugs! Second, how old is you LO?

• Options
    How old is she? At 10 m my supply went down and I decided from then on to give what I pumped. No more, no less. And she was eating plenty of solids. I kept BFing whike at home until she was 17m and I was 6m pg. I never supplemented.

(I had low supply due to PCOS.)
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @unaveragejane‌ she's 10 months this week.

I didn't think that this could be just a normal decrease in supply instead of pregnancy related, which would be a relief. Just worried that the 10-12 oz in 8 hrs isn't enough for her?

• Options
    12 oz may be a lot for 8hrs. I think the general rule is about an ounce for every hour you are gone. Maybe see if MIL is overfeeding or if she can try paced feeding? Or more solids? This sounds stressful, good luck to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My son is almost 9 months and we ate doing exactly what you are. We are no where close to needing to supplement. If LO isn't acting like she's starving, just keep going with the flow. You can also offer a sippy of water. We do nursing in the am, night and 11-12 oz at daycare + 3 meals of solids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image

Our English Bulldog, Ulga born 4/9/2013

Baby Boy Xander born 3/13/2014

• Options
    Whew this is a relief to hear! She eats 3 solid meals a day and lots of snacks. She seems just fine on the weekends, and doesn't ask to nurse very often. She also gets water in a sippy too. I will keep on going with what were doing, thanks for your help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"