May 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else have an anxious baby?

From the time my son was born, he has preferred me. There was a time, around 2 months, that I couldn't even leave him with my husband or he would just scream. He's better now for him and my mom, but still freaks out when we go to any of the inlaws houses. I've never dealt with this before as my other 2 kids have always been happy to be passed from relative to relative. He's 6 months now and still has no signs of stopping this anxiety. Even the doctor commented on it at our 6 month check up, but offered no solutions. 

Anyone else? Have you done anything to help them not be so anxious around other people that they may not see every day? I'm currently a SAHM because I'm on a sabbatical. Thanks!

Braydon 1.23.09
Weston 3.24.11
EDD 5.26.14

Re: Anyone else have an anxious baby?

• Options
    My DD is like this. She is nearing 3 and still only likes a few particular people. My MIL would always just try to take her from me when she was a baby andy DD would claw at me and scream to stay with me. Hated that and would havr to tell her to leave her be. I aleays looked like the bad guy. Only thing Dr said was that she will grow out if it eventually and that it is worse if people try to take her from me and that they need to let the child ease into it on their own terms. All depends on the personality.
    I think that part of the reason my DD doesnt like her grandma much is because of all the anxiety from that past 2 years of her always trying to take her from me. Hopefully it doesnt last that long for your little one.
  • Options
    DD does this. She cries when I leave the room and even if DH picks her up she wants me. She looks for me and cries while reaching for me. I am also a sahm. Our pediatrician said its normal bc DD is with me basically 24/7.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice just commiseration. My gal can hardly sleep unless I'm touching her and leaving her with anyone other then my hubs is impossible. Even he can only take her during the daytime and when she's in a good mood. I get it, I'm her primary caregiver and we are together constantly but it can be a bit draining. I'm hoping it's just a phase and that with time it will pass! We have zero family around and so she isn't used to being passed around to a lot of people. We get out a ton, see lots of people and other kids and she loves the interaction just isn't too pleased with others holding her. Hang in there momma!
  • Options
    My May baby is like that too, and neither of my older boys was.  He doesn't even like DH to hold him. Thanksgiving I had to hold him almost the entire day because he didn't want to be put down and wasn't about to let anyone else hold him.  He seems to have a bit of a tough time when there are a lot of people around.  He cries quite a bit when he has to be left with a sitter (which is rare, because I feel bad leaving him), in the church nursery, or in the kid care at the gym I go to.   He loves interacting with other people, but only when Mommy is holding him.  The other night DH had him for a bit while I was cooking dinner, and he just screamed until I could hold him and then was all smiles as soon as I took him from DH.  At church on Sunday I could hear him crying in the nursery so I went to check on him and as soon as I was holding him he was smiles.  I took him back in to the service and he was smiling at and interacting with the people around us.

I hope he will outgrow it soon.  I'd like to be able to leave him with a sitter a couple of times a month for DH and I to get out for dates.  This month he will have to be for some Christmas parties we need to attend.  One was last night, and he cried quite a bit, but had some calm periods and did go to bed ok.  

Wish I had some advice for you, but obviously I'm still trying to figure it out myself!  (My grandma said I was like that as a baby myself- my mom would leave me with her and she said I would cry from the time my mom dropped me off until the time she picked me up again.  I did outgrow it at some point!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"