January 2015 Moms

Lanolin use

KatieFNP1984KatieFNP1984 member
edited November 2014 in January 2015 Moms
My mom says that she discourages use of lanolin and suggests I just express some breast milk to rub over my nipples at the end of the breastfeeding session. I was surprised to hear and I can't remember her exact reasoning for this but I do trust her as she has 30 years of experience as a labor & delivery nurse. Have you all heard similar advice? I'm interested to know. Thanks. Edited for typo
FTM baby boy born Jan 2015

Re: Lanolin use

• Yes I have heard that. I thin antibodies in breast milk are supposed to help protect against thrush and so forth. I haven't heard that using lanolin was bad though. I used lanolin while pumping.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • That's right! I remember her saying that about the protection of the breast milk and it wasn't so much "don't use" lanolin, just that she didn't see it necessary.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, breastmilk definitely has healing qualities. When DD had scratched her face very early on, the pedi suggested putting milk on it and it healed quickly (which happens anyway I suppose).

I used either based on whether or not I had two hands available or just one. But definitely lanolin with pumping!

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• Breastmilk definitely does help with healing, but I'd encourage you to have some lanolin (or other nipple butter) on hand for if you need it. If you get cracks or cuts on your nipple, you will need something more than milk to help it heal up before your next feeding session. And, when LO starts teething, you will for sure need something!
  • Yep. Breast milk is magic! I hated lanolin, but I regularly used coconut oil if breast milk wasn't cutting it. Coconut oil has some pretty decent antimicrobial properties too.

• I will definitely still use lanolin on my nips but breast milk is good for sure. I put a drop or two in my daughters eye after she was first born and had some
    goop/puffiness and it cleared it right up. Nurse hotline helped me figure that out.
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • I used lanolin on DD's dry scaly feet when she was a newborn. It worked great!
  • I used both in the beginning and later just breast milk unless I was having issues.

Squeeze a bit out, rub it in, LET IT DRY!!!!! (prevent yeast growth), then rub in nipple cream if needed for extra healing. Make sure you keep your breast pads/bra dry.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
  • Yep, I used breastmilk for my nipples with both babies. I also used it when my son had a clogged tear duct. It is amazing stuff...hence "liquid gold".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD would refuse to latch if there was even the slightest bit of lanolin. I used either breastmilk or coconut oil.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Never used lanolin when I nursed. I never had cracked or sore nipples, though.
  • I only used lanolin when I had cracked nipples during the first few cluster feeds (BM just wasn't cutting it). I never needed to use anything at any other time, so the only experience I have had using BM was that it didn't help.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I did the bm, but there were times that that wasn't enough to protect again the chaffing. 
  • Thanks girls.
  • I've heard either works. I just got some nipple butter , cause mine were dried out and hurt and not really having breast milk just yet... :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm another in the "both" group. BM alone just wouldn't cut it at some points.

• Anyone notice that lanolin stains their bras/clothing? My friend who gave birth about a month ago said she didn't care for the consistency and heard it stains. I don't know that I care if the consistency is weird, but if I wash a load of clothes and they all come out with grease stains, I might mind a little more! Maybe nip pads will protect from it getting on bras in the first place?
  • Used it a lot on cracking nipa the last time

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • Smelh324 said:
    Anyone notice that lanolin stains their bras/clothing? My friend who gave birth about a month ago said she didn't care for the consistency and heard it stains. I don't know that I care if the consistency is weird, but if I wash a load of clothes and they all come out with grease stains, I might mind a little more! Maybe nip pads will protect from it getting on bras in the first place?
    I highly recommend using with nipple pads. They will protect your clothes, absorb leaks, and also give a little soft cushioning to sore nips.

@saiven I bough some EMAB nipple butter, it seems really nice and smells like cocoa butter (one of the main ingredients). I will be using both EMAB and lanolin on and off.
    I love coconut oil for just about anything, but I won't be using it during breastfeeding as both my girls get eczema from coconut - don't want to take the chance of it irritating this baby.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"