September 2014 Moms
Options

long car ride...how'd it go?!?

For those of you who took long trips over Thanksgiving, how did it go? Any tips? We are traveling 10 hours at Christmas and would love some tips. TIA.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: long car ride...how'd it go?!?

• Options
    We did a 6 hour car ride. E slept most of the ride and we stopped halfway for a diaper change and feeding. The ride back was pretty similar, although she did resist going in the car seat at first but call me a pushover, I took her back out, cuddled her and gave her her paci and she was okay again. 
  • Options
    We did 10 hours at 7 weeks. Left after her first night feeding. She slept 4 hours, stopped for breakfast and I nursed her. She slept for 3 and we stopped at a rest station where we gave her a bottle and I pumped. Then we gave her another bottle after 2 hours. I bf when we got there.

She's an amazing baby in the car, she sleeps the whole time. Hope she's the same way when we go back down for Christmas.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just did the trip yo PA for Thanksgiving, 7 hours each way. DS literally slept the entire way both directions. He's wake up about 3.5-4 hours in for a new diaper and to eat but then back in the car seat and to sleep! It was great! ( for reference he just turned 13 weeks)
  • Options
    I'm hoping my 10 year reunion gif high school isn't until November next year so I won't have to make the 7 hour drive up to the Bay Area with LO before he's 1.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • Options
    cls0602cls0602 member
    edited December 2014
    My son is 8 weeks old and EBF. We traveled from Maryland to NC for Thanksgiving (7 hours- turned into 10 from 2 feedings and traffic). We left at 5am after his 4am feeding. He slept until 9, we stopped to feed and change him and get gas. He slept about 40 min and woke up content. I was hoping that would be the only stop but because of traffic we had to stop again to feed him. He slept about 40 min again and woke up content again. It was only until the last hour that shit hit the fan.

The drive home was much smoother. Left at 4am after 3am feeding, he slept until halfway home, we stopped to feed and change him and get gas. Then he slept the entire rest of the way! Good luck!

Edit- I want to add that I sat in the back with him for both drives! Highly recommended you bring a boppy and catch some Zzz's while hubby drives ;-)
  • Options
    I drove 4 days from nj to az a few weeks ago and she slept the whole way pretty much. You just want to anticipate needs so you stop and take care of it before he/she gets to the crying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    We did what is normally a 10 hr ride for us, with stops to feed and change DD (as well as being mini breaks for us) it took about 13 hrs. She slept really well in between breaks and if she needed a break before we'd planned one then we stopped asap. We stopped every 2-3 hrs. (Should mention she was 11-12 wk when we traveled over Thanksgiving). Be ready for a long trip, have a favorite blanket and toy available, lullabies on CD if LO has favorites, and lots of patience.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"