September 2014 Moms
Options

Sleeping problems!

Ok, my baby is almost 3 months old and we have been having some really rough nights getting her to sleep. She doesn't sleep much during the day, maybe 2-3 catnaps, 30 min each, most nights she sleeps well, usually between 6-8 hours, which is wonderful. The problem is getting her to sleep is a process, to say the least. We have started a routine of putting pj's on, reading, nursing. Then I usually walk her around (because she hates sitting) and run a fan. She falls asleep in my arms and I wait about 30 minutes then lay her in her rock-n-play(which is the only thing she will sleep in) and within 5 min she is wide awake. This usually goes on for about 2-3 hours until we are successful in getting her to sleep in her rock-n-play. I know I should work on getting her to self soothe but she cries when in her crib and I am not down with letting her cry it out for several minutes. She also will not take a pacifier, which I feel would help the situation if she would. Any advice?? Please help!!

Re: Sleeping problems!

• Options
    I nurse mine to sleep. Sometimes she'll unlatch on her own, sometimes I'll do it after a specific amount of time. I'll let her sleep on me for about 10-15 minutes so she can go into a deeper sleep them she goes to the crib. Some nights she's easy to put down, other nights not so much. I feel like a winner if I get her in bed before midnight haha. She's 12 weeks old and won't take a pacifier either.

Hang in there, keep up the great work!

• Options
    I also usually nurse mine to sleep at night, but not during the day. She's been taking a pacifier easier if I warm it up under hot water first. I've also been working on putting her down semi awake during the day, some days are better than others.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a failure at baby sleep, but maybe she is overtired and having trouble settling at night because of that?  I know all babies are different, but if that is really all that she naps during the day, that isn't a lot.  Is she in a good mood during the day with that amount of napping?  Do you think she would nap longer or more frequently in a swing?  My baby is a ridiculous mess if she stays awake much longer than 1-2 hours during the day.

My only other thought is that she may still want a later bedtime.  DD is still going down around 9:30  or 10:30.  She hangs out on my lap until then and catnaps or has some quiet awake time.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Click back a few pages. There are several posts about sleep problems.
  • Options
    My little guy started with the cat nappig a few weeks ago and then was becoming a little monster (not really) in the evenings - oh so grumpy and it was taking longer to put him down at night. I assumed this was due to overtiredness so for his midday nap I now always make sure I put him in his swing, he sleeps better there during the day. If he wakes after a half hour, I try giving him the paci, changing direction of the swing and turning on the swing music. Tends to work like a charm and he'll nap for about 2.5 hours! Took some practice but he does so much better if he gets one long nap during the day plus a couple short cat naps. :)

When it comes to the self soothing, I "trained" (if that's what you call it lol) LO at 5 weeks old without having to let him cry. It just took a lot of patience. It probably helps too that my guy takes a paci. I would put him down still awake but sleepy with the paci. For the first few nights he'd spit it out and cry so I would give it back and this would sometimes go on for 30-60 minutes. I didn't let him cry it out, I just gave it back and he eventually got tired out from the process and fell asleep. Or what seems to work well now if he's not going right down is rubbing either his belly or side of head while whispering "mommy loves you, go to sleep" and gentle "shhh" sounds. Just a few minutes worked like a charm last night. :) this is all after a bedtime routine as well (bath, bottle, rocking and story)

Good luck, hope your LO starts going down better for you! :)
  • Options
    Not sure if this would help you but I was reading (in something intended for older children) that it's good to do something active right before starting your bedtime routine. We give DS a nice long bath every night as the first step of our bedtime routine. Then we put on pyjamas and he either nurses to sleep or nurses then we rock him to sleep. Our DS loves his baths and kicks and splashes a lot. I always think of this as his "active time" to let him burn off some energy before it's time for sleep.
  • Options

Put some bourbon in her bottle. :D

Just kidding...obviously.

Our LO usually is a champ when it comes to sleep, but on those nights he does the same thing your LO is doing I've found it usually because he is overtired and overstimulated and the only way to get him to sleep to stay is in a dimly light, quiet room. No reading, no singing - white noise seems to even bother him - just me holding and rocking him with a pacifier. Sometimes I even have to take the pacifier away because that is a distraction.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"