Late Term and Child Loss
Options

Intro-kinda long

Hey everyone. One of the ladies from my BMB (Nov 14) referred me here and I am so glad she did. My story is a little long, apologies in advance. Even though such sucky situations all brought us here I am grateful for the support these groups bring (especially since I dont have a local support group to go to).

On the morning of Tuesday October 28, 2014 (exactly 4 weeks ago) I got ready for what would have been my 37 week appointment. Over the weekend I started having contractions. I called my doctors office and talked to one of the midwives. My contractions weren't consistent or particularly painful so she said to just keep an eye on them and follow the 5-1-1 rule. I had a gut feeling that I needed to go to L&D but dismissed it as me being anxious/paranoid. This was all on Saturday. Sunday morning I woke up and felt LO moving although not as much as he used to. Again, I didn't think twice especially being a FTM I just thought he was running out of room and Ive heard that when you go into labor they don't move as much so I wasn't super worried. Contractions continued through Monday and into Tuesday. I didn't even realize they were contractions because they were so similar to the Braxton Hicks contractions I had been having.
What followed I will never forget a day in my life. Tuesday at 2 pm I left my house for my appointment. Arrived at the doctors at 2:25. Little did I know within the next ten minutes my life would be changed forever. Went to go give a urine sample, came back and undressed to prep for an exam to see how dilated and effaced I was. Before the doctor came in the nurse was taking my blood pressure, etc. Shen then (as normal) put lube on my belly and applied the doplar to listen to his heart beat (which had been strong the whole pregnancy). The silence was deafening. She tried everything, changing positions, changing doplars and then she said for me to get dressed so I can go get an ultrasound. I was trying to stay positive but deep down I knew.
I got dressed and went down the hall to get an ultrasound. I saw him on the screen and his little heart wasn't beating. He had left me. The ultrasound tech left to go get my doctor. They came back in, looked at the screen, and my doctor said "There's no heart beat, I'm so sorry." I lost it. They called my husband for me since I couldn't coherently speak. He got there in 20 minutes and asked if they were sure and had we done an ultrasound. We cried together. My doctor was thinking, at the time, he passed due to a cord accident since everything on the ultrasound looked fine. Once we calmed down enough my doctor and the nurse (who were there the whole time being extremely supportive) with my husband and I discussed a plan of action. My doctor had, in fact, confirmed that I was in the early stages of labor so I would be delivering soon and when/ how everything would happen.
My husband and I went home after gathering ourselves to discuss and process everything that had just happened. At 4:30 we left the house to head to the hospital since my contractions were progressing. I texted my parents and the in laws to update them.
My epidural was placed at 7 pm and I was given the inducing drugs (I cant remember what it was called but it wasnt pitocin) at 8:15. Despite the fact that my son had gone to meet the Lord I had the best, most positive birth and labor experience. It was like out of a fairy tale. With absolutely no pain, my LO was born at 1:13 am October 29th with 10-15 minutes of pushing and no tearing. I will try to attach a picture (Ive posted a couple on the FB page). He was perfect. He weighed 5lbs 14 oz and was 18 1/4 long.
My doctor noted after he was born and looking at the placenta that it seemed he had hemorrhaged and bled out, my son and the placenta were pale. The blood work they ran on me before I was cleared to go home confirmed. The concentration of his blood mixed with mine was the highest the hospital had ever seen. Confirming with nurses, if my son had been born healthy and alive he would have weighed anywhere between 7 1/2 to 8lbs. If I had gone the full 40 weeks he wouldve been at least 9lbs. Despite the outcome, I had the best delivery, the most supportive nursing staff (at the office and especially in L&D), and the best doctor. They gave my husband and I the most positive experience they possibly could.
We are still awaiting the results of the autopsy/pathology to understand why this happened and to confirm the preliminary cause of death. Today is the first time I have been able to come back to TB. I tried a couple weeks ago but couldn't, too many memories of when I was still blissfully pregnant and anticipating his arrival, not thinking my husband and I would be coming home to an empty nursery and quiet house.

Re: Intro-kinda long

• Options
    I am so, so sorry for your loss, but am glad you came here for support. Like PP said, the women here are truly a shoulder to lean on during a painful time such as this. Thinking of you.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Seeing their little bodies on the ultrasound machine without the heart beat is heartbreaking.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    **ticker warning**

I am so sorry for your loss.  You, your son, and your family are in my prayers. 
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. 

• Options
    Thank you ladies and you are all correct, he just looked different on the ultrasound, like he was just floating in there and you could tell he was gone :(

@flutterfly88 His name is Stanley Daniel Gilbert. DH and I were honoring our grandfathers. His was Stanley and mine is Daniel. We kept his name a secret until he was born because one name we had previously picked out another couple in our group of acquaintances took so we agreed on Stanley Daniel. We knew it was perfect, it's like music to our ears. We have both said we don't know how we are going to pick another name when we TTC because his was perfect.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. 

My son died of a maternal-fetal hemmorage at 39 1/2 weeks. I was also told that the fetal blood in the maternal blood test was the highest they had ever seen. One thing that has helped me with the what if I had… questions is that I have been told that the blood loss had possibly been happening for weeks and if we had delivered the day before, when I hadn't felt much movement, that he probably still wouldn't have made it.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• Options
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. My heart breaks for you and all that you are going through. My husband and I lost our son over 5 months ago on the day a delivery at 39 weeks due to a cord accident that happened once my labor started or in the 4 hours while my labor progressed prior to arriving at the hospital. Learning your child does not have a heart beat is the most heartbreaking experience.  I am so glad your birth experience and time with your son was such a positive experience. The women on this board are amazing and have been a huge help to me - feel free to visit as much as you need to. ((hugs))
  • Options
    Stanley Daniel Gilbert is such a great name and I love the meaning behind it.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. While my loss is different, I can not imagine what some of y'all have to experience with seeing your little one through an ultrasound. I agree with the PP that this has been a great outlet of support from wonderful ladies. I just recently found this group after returning to TB for TTC. T&P
    Married my rock - April 29, 2011
    BFP - June 4, 2011 EDD February 3, 2012
    Super T born @ 37 weeks - January 13, 2012
    Super T diagnosed with stage IV high risk Neuroblastoma nmyc-amp - January 2, 2013
    Super T cancer free - June 19, 2013
    Super T relapsed - January 2, 2014
    Super T earned his angel wings - January 3, 2014

TTC for #2 beginning November 2014
    BFP #2 - Chemical Pregnancy - Confirmed May 29, 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS; HSG - Clear; SA - Clear
    Clomid #1 - BFN
    Femera Cycle #2 - BFN
    Femera Cycle #3 - BFP 11/10/15 - EDD 07/14/16

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. T&P for you and your family.
    TTC since August 2013 BFP #1 1/15/14...MMC 2/24/14...D&C 3/3/14 BFP #2 5/11/14 ... severe pre-e placental abruption our angel born sleeping at 22 weeks Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your son, Stanley Daniel. Be gentle with yourself mama.
    Lilypie - (qptF)

"Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss
  • Options
    @dadalou did they say why it happened or just that it happens and they dont know why? thats one thing I am really....and I mean REALLY struggling with right now is the what if I did this differently, what if what if what if....I hate it. I have never in my life been a what if kind of person and this is just a lot to handle.

Thank you ladies, Wed-yesterday (friday) was really really hard. Today I feel ok. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving :)
  • Options
    They don't know why it happened or when. It seems that it is something that just happens sometimes and no one knows why. We didn't have an autopsy done, but we had his placenta tested. There was nothing genetically wrong that they could find. So it seems that it was a freak occurance that shouldn't happen to us again.

Just remember that you can't go back and change anything. What happened is what happened. Questioning everything that happened doesn't help and actually can make it worse. You shouldn't have any guilt. You did nothing wrong.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss of your precious Stanley. The what ifs can be some of the hardest part of this journey. I had a similar experience (went to doctor, couldn't find heartbeat with the Doppler, had an ultrasound, and was told our son had no heartbeat) and it is pretty awful. They don't know for sure what happened in our case either, I had a complete placental abruption, but they don't know why or what caused it. They tell me it's good because the odds of it happening again with a future pregnancy are fairly low with no known cause, but that doesn't give me my son back. And the what ifs! What if I had gone to the doctor sooner, realized something was wrong, done something! Yeah, those are killer. I am so sorry. Beating yourself up won't help - it is not your fault - but it is incredibly hard. Know that we are here whenever you need us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • Options
    ****siggy warning

I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. Stanley Daniel Gilbert...What a great name he has!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"