November 2014 Moms
Options

Pain management after birth?

Hey ladies. I know we discussed this before earlier on but wondering what you are finding that helps with the pain of after birth?

I had a vaginal delivery with a vacuum a couple of weeks ago and I still have lots of discomfort if I don't stay on top of my IBprofin. I did have lots of tearing so that's probably a big portion of the pain. Anything helping you manage your pain? I have also tried a heating pad and icing pads but those don't last long. Walking makes it worse but realistically I need to continue to be somewhat active.

Thanks as always!

Re: Pain management after birth?

• Options
    I was taking 1 Advil & 2 tylenols plus Epsom salt baths & not over doing the walking and I found after a couple days it made a huge difference.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I rotate taking two tylenols and 2 advils. I also take sitz baths which help. My tearing is very extensive and I was told that apart from what I'm doing, only time will help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You mention icing pads, do you also add the witch hazel and essential oils to the pads? I do that and I feel it helps a lot. You can instead lay down tucks along the pad for the healing and cooling. It helps with the healing process.

I take 600mg Motrin (Advil) about three pills (two times a day) plus 500 mg of tylenol (three times a day) and colace. It sounds like more than the PP but this is what my midwife rx'ed. It seems to help. I've reduced the amount since then because my lady bits feels a lot better. I also make sure I don't scoot down the bed or the floor causing irritation. Being active is great but listen to your body. If you hurt, take it down a tad bit.

Hope u feel better soon!
  • Options
    kikimeemeekikimeemee member
    edited November 2014
    I'm 4 weeks PP so ibuprofen is all I need. I was also taking two baths a day (no soap) for the first two weeks to soak my lady bits. Doctor said to take baths and I decided on two a day. :-)
  • Options
    I had a c section so mine is a little different. I take an anti inflammatory twice a day. It hurts the most when I get up and when I sleep on my side too long. But everyday is better

• Options
    I'm surprised that some of you have been given the ok to take a bath. I was under the impression that a bath was off limits as long as you're bleeding.

I also had a csection, but I've been doing Tylenol or ibuprofen if needed.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Options
    I also took Percocet but that adds to the constipation. Best thing is just take it easy... Four weeks out, I'm about 80% better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Motrin, and witch hazel. I had some pretty bad tears 3 wks ago and am almost pain free. I no longer take Motrin, but keep putting the witch hazel on one of my tears that still causes a lot of pain (did not heal correctly)
  • Options
    KMW08 said:

I'm surprised that some of you have been given the ok to take a bath. I was under the impression that a bath was off limits as long as you're bleeding.

I also had a csection, but I've been doing Tylenol or ibuprofen if needed.

Interesting. Baths worked well for me. I was also given a squirt bottle by the nurses to use every time after using the restroom to rinse the area. Water has worked nicely for me...

• Options
    I did 800mg ibuprofen every 8 hrs and then also this pain spray stuff on my stitches that actually helped a lot. I only had two small tears and after 10 days, I'm only needing the ibuprofen once a day before bed.

IAmPregnant Ticker

First Met: March 13, 2009
    Married: September 13, 2012 
    BFP: March 4, 2014
    EDD: 11/25/2014 
    Three furbabies: Franklin (8) Amos (4) Sasha (2) 

• Options
    Ice packs the first two days, and then just tucks pads, sitz baths (which I find actually make it hurt more in the short-term), and dermoplast. I've also avoided much salt because water retention made the pain worse. As unlucky as I was in the pain department during L&D, I've been quite fortunate afterward.
    It's a girl! Due November 22, 2014
  • Options
    Same as @staugustinewedding‌ - 800 mg of ibuprofen & dermoplast spray for my stitches. Sometimes I would also alternate Tylenol if I couldn't make it 8 hrs on the ibuprofen.
  • Options
    kegcrc said:
    @CarrieAnne09‌ I had a csection as well. If you put 2 pillows between your thighs (really raise up that top leg) it takes the weight off the sides of your incision while sleeping on your side. Throw a slim pillow under your belly, too.
    thank you!!! I'll try it tonight  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"