Parenting after a Loss

How did you dry your milk supply?

I've been battling low milk supply since day one. I have tried everything to increase it without much success. The max I was getting was 1-1.5oz every 4hrs. I then went to pumping every 6hrs with the same results and now I'm trying every 8hrs. I've also cut down on pumping time, instead of 20mins I do 10.

I've noticed at the 6-8hr range I have some leakage (mostly from the lower producing breast too--go figure...stupid tit :D )

Any advice or tips on drying up your supply? I go back to work Jan 20th, so I'm trying to dry up before then as IMO it won't be worth my time or effort to continue pumping for such a minimal amount.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

Re: How did you dry your milk supply?

• porterlove525porterlove525 member
    edited December 2014
    I haven't weaned yet so I have no advice there, but I do ask if you are really set to stop BFing? Are you strictly pumping or nursing as well. Getting 1-1.5oz in a pumping session is actually completely normal and your LO is only a couple weeks old, no? (Sorry I'm mobile as I'm up with my LO). At this point baby isn't taking much milk. Is that your net after nursing? Is LO losing weight?

To give you the other option, I have always struggled to pump more than 3oz ever (from both breasts, total), with 1.5oz being average for a very, very, long time. My LO is gone from me for about 10hrs a day and the most I've ever pumped in that span is 9oz total. My son has been fed exclusively with breast milk since birth and is off the charts for height and is always in the 75th percent for weight and he'll be 8 months next week. My son goes to daycare with just over 2oz in his bottles (3 bottles). I pump every 3hrs, as you shouldn't go longer to maintain supply. I send him to daycare with what I pumped the day before, nothing more and nurse morning and night. So maybe you don't have to give up?

ETA: I should add, I mean no judgement or malice if you just prefer to switch to formula, I just know I struggled with BFing and supply so I like to offer my experience and highly recommend working with an LC if you'd like to try and continue, even if you supplement :)

BFP #1 11/19/12  EDD: 7/25/13  Natural MC on 12/31/12 at 10w4d

BFP#2 3/1/13   EDD: 11/5/13   Missed MC 4/9/13 at 10w   D&C 4/11/13  
    Baby #2 diagnosed with Trisomy 16. Diagnosed Hetero MTHFR.

BFP#3 8/5/13   EDD: 4/13/14   Team Green Turned Team Blue! Our rainbow baby, Griffin R arrived via c-section (breech since 20w) on 4/11/14. 

.image            

~~Everyone Always Welcome~~

• I went down from pumping 9 times per day, dropping one pumping session for 1-2 weeks, so went to 8 for a week or two, then 7, etc. Eventually I was just doing 2 per day then I went to 1 for a couple days then went to every other day, after about a week I just stopped and that was that. No leaking or engorgement or whatever. And it was about 2 months later my nipples finally healed up. The pumping was really hard on them and they were constantly scabbed over and bruised. :-(

I had trouble with supply too and the only way I could get it up was pumping with a hospital grade pump, pumping 10-12 times/day and doing aggressive breast compressions. And then I had to keep doing the compressions every time I pumped, like the whole time I was pumping. It was a pain. But it sounds like you're just ready to move on and that's ok too. For me it was a huge relief to pack up the pump and be done with it. 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Loading the player...
  • Just a small thing to add would be avoid any stimulation to your breasts/ nipples including shower water running on them, ect. I know this because my milk came in after I lost my twins, and my OB told me to keep a bra on and avoid any stimulation. Sorry it did not work out for you. I breast fed my son for 4 months, and then my milk just vanished on me. I supplemented from the beginning, and just transitioned to exclusively formula. Good luck!

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• I quit cold turkey. I would just express enough for comfort when needed. Over a few weeks into longer needed to express, but I continued to "leak" for a month or so (nothing a nursing pad couldn't handle).

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I struggled with BF big time. I dropped all the night sessions cold turkey and then dropped each daytime session one at a time every 4 days. I would say 10 days after I stopped was when my milk mostly went away. Good luck.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• @porterlove525‌ I've been EPing, latch issues + low supply left us both frustrated. He had lost 13% birthweight, started supplementing with formula. John passed his birthweight at his 2wk check. He's 3wks today and I'd say pushing 9lbs if not a bit over.

When I was pumping every 2hrs, I was lucky to get 5-7ml every 2hrs. Spacing it out I get a bit more. Right now at every 6-8hrs I get 1.5-2oz each pumping session, so maybe 6oz total in 24hrs.

The LCs agreed that I was doing everything I could to try & bring my supply up. I'm not sure if I'll quit pumping just yet, but I'm going to space it out, see how twice a day goes. For sure I'll most likely give up BM when I go back to work -- I work 11s and am gone closer to 12.5hrs on work days.

image    image

• For me, M gradually dropped nursing sessions.  I had to supplement for weight issues when she hit 7 months, despite trying everything.  By the time she was done, I was down to one or two sessions a day.  It took about a week for me to get past the discomfort period, and then maybe another 2 weeks to dry up completely. 

I would suggest spacing your daily sessions out a little more at first, and then dropping your night sessions.  After the night sessions are gone, start dropping your day sessions one at a time. 

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • Junebug060609Junebug060609 member
    edited December 2014
    Mine actually dried up on its own. DS very gradually cut back on nursing due to teething. Before I knew it, he was waking at night and we couldn't figure out why...until DH, on a hunch, tried a pouch of food. I tried to save the sinking ship for a bit (was only getting an ounce a session versus four plus when things were good), but ended up throwing in the towel. Once the towel was thrown I only pumped just enough to relieve discomfort (once). In a few days discomfort was gone totally, but it took until I got pregnant again a few months later (with my second loss, not dd) for it to dry up totally.

Eta: DS was 11 months, so I never made my one year goal. He got my freezer stash and formula until one year.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Thanks for all the advice ladies, I really appreciate it :-*

I might do an experiment today, i know I'm getting more BM in my spaced out pumps, for giggles I might try some closer times and see if I still get less or if I get more. I'm not expecting any miracles though.

@eme520‌ Thanks for those kind words! I'm not upset with myself about BM, lil man was what I really wanted and as long as he's doing well, momma is happy! I do have a question, is there a thing as too many wet diapers? I swear he pees every couple of hours, 10-15wet diapers a day and 2-4dirty ones a day. Everything online just says this means he's hydrated.

image    image

• We went through about 13 a day at that stage. :)

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Wifey xo said:

We went through about 13 a day at that stage. :)

This makes me feel so much better!

image    image

• Hi!  I've been absent on this board for awhile.

We are weaning now and it freaking sucks.  My boobs can't take a hint.  Same thing with DS.  I dropped a feeding/pumping every 5 days for about 4-5 weeks and I ended up with mastitis.  This time, I dropped one pump session from work at 4 months.  Then at just over 6 months I dropped a second pump session.  Around the same time she started STTN about 3 nights a week, so I dropped the MOTN feeding too.  Now at 7 months I am down to 1.5 feedings a day.  I nurse at bedtime and in the morning I pump for 3 minutes and then stop.  I am horribly uncomfortable already and am refusing to pump at work because I haven't pumped at work in over 2 weeks and on principle I just don't want to do it.  Meanwhile I feel like I have knives in my boob.

I'll share with you what I have been researching but which apparently doesn't work for me:
    1. Cabbage leaves - actually do help a lot with pain/clogs/engorgement.  Have not reduced my supply though.
    2. Antihistamines.  Am pretty sure these don't really work but I am taking them because really, can it hurt?
    3. Peppermint, sage tea, parsley, herbal type stuff - am 99% convinced when I resort to this stuff that it won't work if the freaking antihistamines won't work, but again, I'm just sharing what I've read.

Makes me feel good reading everyone else saying that there's a week or so of discomfort.  I feel like this will never end, and also like it shouldn't hurt so much if I'm still feeding once a day even, but apparently this is pretty normal.  GAH.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• MickeyM04 said:
    Hi!  I've been absent on this board for awhile.

We are weaning now and it freaking sucks.  My boobs can't take a hint.  Same thing with DS.  I dropped a feeding/pumping every 5 days for about 4-5 weeks and I ended up with mastitis.  This time, I dropped one pump session from work at 4 months.  Then at just over 6 months I dropped a second pump session.  Around the same time she started STTN about 3 nights a week, so I dropped the MOTN feeding too.  Now at 7 months I am down to 1.5 feedings a day.  I nurse at bedtime and in the morning I pump for 3 minutes and then stop.  I am horribly uncomfortable already and am refusing to pump at work because I haven't pumped at work in over 2 weeks and on principle I just don't want to do it.  Meanwhile I feel like I have knives in my boob.

I'll share with you what I have been researching but which apparently doesn't work for me:
    1. Cabbage leaves - actually do help a lot with pain/clogs/engorgement.  Have not reduced my supply though.
    2. Antihistamines.  Am pretty sure these don't really work but I am taking them because really, can it hurt?
    3. Peppermint, sage tea, parsley, herbal type stuff - am 99% convinced when I resort to this stuff that it won't work if the freaking antihistamines won't work, but again, I'm just sharing what I've read.

Makes me feel good reading everyone else saying that there's a week or so of discomfort.  I feel like this will never end, and also like it shouldn't hurt so much if I'm still feeding once a day even, but apparently this is pretty normal.  GAH.
    Do you have a manual hand pump?  I used that for a couple of minutes when it got really bad.  It was just enough to relieve the pressure, and wasn't as stimulating as an electric pump.

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    Moving forward with IVF

imageimageimage
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • I think I do have a hand pump somewhere but I actually don't know how to use it!!  Is that horrible?  I wonder if there's a video somewhere....
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• By the time I stopped, I was EP but only twice a day bc we had given up on bfing and I could only manage to pump twice a day while taking care of B.  I was giving him 1 bottle (4 oz) of bm a day and the rest was formula.

I hadn't planned on stopping but we were going away for a long weekend and I realized I really didn't want to bring the pump, so I just didn't.  The first day I was pretty sore and I hand-expressed some into a bottle before bed to relieve some pressure.  The next day I felt a little better but also hand-expressed a couple of times.  By the third day I wasn't really in pain at all.  I did wear nursing pads for about a week but probably didn't need to.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MickeyM04 said:

I think I do have a hand pump somewhere but I actually don't know how to use it!!  Is that horrible?  I wonder if there's a video somewhere....

I bet there's a youtube video! This makes me giggle. I didn't even know that I had a manual hand pump until yesterday when I was gathering everything and boxing what I'm not using. The pump I got came with the bare basics, but the hospital sent me home with the extra accessories along with the ones I used while there. Apparently there was a manual conversion handle in the accessories!

image    image

• KMW08 said:
    I think I do have a hand pump somewhere but I actually don't know how to use it!!  Is that horrible?  I wonder if there's a video somewhere....
    I bet there's a youtube video! This makes me giggle. I didn't even know that I had a manual hand pump until yesterday when I was gathering everything and boxing what I'm not using. The pump I got came with the bare basics, but the hospital sent me home with the extra accessories along with the ones I used while there. Apparently there was a manual conversion handle in the accessories!
    I had two sets of parts for the medical grade pumps, with two manual handles.  I always left one in my car, for emergency situations.  The one time I actually needed it, I didn't move it into my new car.  I had to go buy another, so I've got 3 manual pumps floating around here. 

TTC started Oct '10
    Moving forward with IVF

imageimageimage
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • I know some others have mentioned cabbage leaves, but FWIW I had used them after my angel with much success. My sister who had used them successfully after her two children was the one to recommend them to me. I also found wearing sports bras helped. Hope your able to dry yourself up with minimal discomfort and leakage.

BTW - My lazy boob is always leaking, too. Boogles my mind.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• So many hugs @KMW08‌! What a struggle. BFing is so insanely hard and everyone is right in that you have to do what works for you and your LO. You are already going above and beyond and are an amazing mom >:D<

BFP #1 11/19/12  EDD: 7/25/13  Natural MC on 12/31/12 at 10w4d

BFP#2 3/1/13   EDD: 11/5/13   Missed MC 4/9/13 at 10w   D&C 4/11/13  
    Baby #2 diagnosed with Trisomy 16. Diagnosed Hetero MTHFR.

BFP#3 8/5/13   EDD: 4/13/14   Team Green Turned Team Blue! Our rainbow baby, Griffin R arrived via c-section (breech since 20w) on 4/11/14. 

.image            

~~Everyone Always Welcome~~

• BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"