Success after IF
Options

Struggling with pregnancy annoucements again. Will these feelings ever go away?!? Long!

When we got married, we expected to have 3-4 kids. We stopped using birth control about 10 months after our wedding (had to make a dent in student loan debt first).

We went through a lot to get our twins. Our diagnosis is sperm morphology (only 0-1% normal). Our RE told us that it was unlikely we would ever have a surprise pregnancy. We finally got pregnant with our twins on our 5th embryo transfer (we also had 2 losses prior to the twins). While going through IVF, I was working in the ob/gyn field and around pregnancy ALL The time! It was a very traumatic time for me!!

We were so busy with the twins for the first 2 years and had a single frozen embryo remaining, so I was in a good place for awhile. Having a frozen embryo was nice....knowing we had a chance at another baby.

Well, the frozen embryo resulted in a 6.5 week miscarriage due to a subchorionic hemorrhage. We had prayed for so long that if the frozen embryo wasn't meant to be a baby, that it wouldn't survive thaw. First, that would have saved us money! The frozen embryo cycle cost almost $5K! We've spent so much money on IF over the years. But of course...it worked, got a positive test 5 days after transfer, 3 great betas and even saw a heartbeat before the miscarriage.

Now, it seems like EVERYONE Is pregnant. My husband's cousin had a baby this Fall- 11 months after their wedding. 2 other cousins are pregnant-one wanted a Spring/Summer due date and is due 5/30. The other one has a baby that just turned 1 this month and had a surprise pregnancy and is due 6/9. I am happy for them, but so sad for us. I turned 35 this year. We really can't afford to go back for another fresh IVF (you can't spend $15K that easily when you do have kids). Of course, I know we are SO blessed to have our twins. I just hate feeling these little stings when there is a pregnancy announcement. I would be 20 weeks tomorrow (if I hadn't miscarried). Maybe it is worse now b/c I should be pregnant right now. Fertile people just don't understand these feelings. I really don't know how to describe it. In some ways, it is jealousy, because we wish we could have a free, spontaneous pregnancy...but I am truly happy for our extended family to be growing. AND these new cousins are playmates for my twins. It is just part of the grieving process I guess.

Also, my cycles are very regular and I have signs of ovulation every month on day 14. It is just a monthly reminder of what a waste my normal cycle is. I have even considered permanent birth control and an ablation to close the door and not think about getting pregnant ever again. But, I know in my heart that I am not ready to do that yet.  

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it get better? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

Re: Struggling with pregnancy annoucements again. Will these feelings ever go away?!? Long!

• Options
    I'm sorry. I may not be able to relate in going through IVF as I just had my second via IUI and stime, but I do completely understand not being able to get pregnant on your own. After two babies nothing in my body has changed at all. Difference for us is IUI with no insurance ran us around 5-7 k total with drugs when we did it, and we are still crawling out of that debt along with birth bills etc. It's hard to be so happy for others when you have so much pain just trying to reach the same goal that is so easy for some. I hope you all are able to save up for another cycle in the future and it has a happy outcome. I hope with time you find some peace :/ Go give those beautiful babies of yours a squeeze!   

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    Well, I definitely don't have advice, as I'm struggling with these feelings myself. Since my twins turned two, my baby fever is raging and my jealousy is out of control. We aren't even actively trying, but I find myself green with envy whenever I'm around someone who is pregnant with their second (which is ridiculous because I have two children!). Our clinic had insane freezing standards, remaining 22 embryos from our cycles were not frozen because of grading cutoffs. I'm so angry over it now! Other clinics freeze lesser quality embryos and our boys wouldn't have even made the cut off. I'm so sad over the loss of those embryos and the possibility of FETs. We told ourselves that we'd be happy if we didn't go back to the RE, but I'm finding that harder than I anticipated. But, truthfully, $20k for a cycle is just not a possibility. If I had any faith an IUI would work (we were unexplained), we could swing that cost. Or, we could have found a way to afford a FET. But, another fresh IVF cycle is out of the question. And, that breaks my heart. It's like this carrot that is just dangling in front of me and I can't stop thinking about it. If I had any hope of a spontaneous pregnancy, those hopes have been dashed with the onset of unexplained irregular cycles (My periods are lasting weeks at a time and the doctor can't figure it out. I only had 6 days off from bleeding this cycle so it's not like I can even have sex to get pregnant!).

And, my jealousy knows no bounds. In crazy jealous over a friend who had success with an IUI and has confidence an IUI will work again. I'm crazy jealous because a friend of mine has a frosty waiting for her and, because of a spontaneous pregnancy, she doesn't know what to do with it. That's awful to be jealous of other people struggling with IF! WTH is wrong with me?! But, the thing is, I'm not really jealous of people who are having babies. I'm happy for them. I'm really jealous that people that have hope- in whatever way that hope comes. I'm jealous of people who have (any level of) confidence they can control their family number. My hope is dwindling fast and I'm heartbroken over it. I'm crying as I type this. The loss of hope is really the worst part of this. And, I get what you are saying about taking permanent measures. Part of me is looking forward to DH's eventual vascectomy, as I am hopeful the formal closing of TTC days will bring me some peace.

So, no advice. Just know you are definitely not alone. It all just sucks so much.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry guys...

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    @KDR1979‌ I'm so sorry you're struggling. I can relate to those feelings of hurt, loss and envy. It's even hard to even read pregnancy and birth posts on here. I'm very happy everyone else is able to expand or complete their family but can't help wondering why I can't have that same success.

I wish I could tell you when those feelings will go away. I think they will always be with you, like any loss, and will sometimes appear when you don't expect it. I would just accept that this is how you feel and not fight them.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I can relate in that I have had multiple losses and had to sit by while most of the last 3 years I should have been pregnant while everyone else was. We spent well over 110k and we could never try again if our last attempt didnt work because we would be financially ruined for the rest of our lives. What worked for me is just allowing myself to have my feelings being angry, sad, livid is a coping mechanism and there is no problem with it, I just had to make sure it didnt consume every waking moment like it once did. I also tried to go back to my hobbies or things I loved to do to distract me or remind me that life is still enjoyable.

The other thing I did was start putting money aside to pay for either future treatments or a trip I really wanted to go on, even if it was just spare change it made me feel like I was doing something and not just listing away.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    luvboston im sorry about the 110K on treatments. That makes me sick! I just don't know why e can't have coverage for something we didn't choose. 

• Options
    All I have to offer is ((BIG HUGS)) Im sorry!!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I completely understand.  My husband and I always wanted 2 kids and we wanted them to be fairly close together.  We also hoped to have both before he was 40 and I was 35 (we got married when I was 30 and he was 35).  I will be 37 this spring and my husband will be 42.  We don't have much more in us financially or emotionally.  But, I don't know how to get over trying to have another child.  We have one frosty from this last IVF cycle.  We will try it and if it fails, we would need a miracle to do another cycle.  I hate, HATE this.  ((HUGS))

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Our ages and IF stories are similar. We have our one frostie and I haven't even let myself think about what may or may not be in store for us in the future. It's not an answer for the hurt, but I currently have an IUD in (even though we have MFI and a surprise is near impossible). My cycles tapered off over 5 months and I haven't had one since. It's nice not to have the bother or reminder every month. Just an idea... Take care, whatever you decide is right for you.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options

Thanks everyone. It is good to know that others feel the same way, even though we are SAIF. It is still hard! I think people think once you have kids, you are "fine" and don't struggle with these emotions.

We won't cycle again (unless we won the mega millions)! I got some treatments discounted (because of my job) and STILL spent somewhere around $55K on infertility. My parents gave us a $5K loan for IVF and I still owe that to them. My body has been through so much. I have gained so much weight over 6 IVF's, 3 losses and a twin pregnancy. The estrogen in birth control pills gives me migraines. I felt terrible on the roller coaster of IVF drugs. I still don't feel like myself (but DD isn't the greatest sleeper either)!

I really hope these feelings fade away for all of us!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"