September 2014 Moms
Options

How long does your lo BF for?

For DS a BF session will last about 45-60 mins! And then I usually try to hold him/ burp him for at least 10 mins after. I feel like this is a long time for him to be nursing ( I don't remember my other 2 taking so long) just curious to see how long other Los are nursing.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How long does your lo BF for?

• Options
    LO takes about thirty minutes, sometimes longer b/c she falls asleep.
  • Options
    20 to 30 mins total as well.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 12wkers does 15/15 each side (since week one). At night I'll let her stay on longer since I nurse her to sleep.

• Options
    20-25 mins, I cut her off because I (and pedi) thinks she's over eating and spitting up as soon as I sit her up to burp. If she cried after 10-20 mins I'll give her more time, but it rarely happens.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My LO is 11 weeks today and from day 1 took at least 45 minutes to nurse (sometimes well over an hour), and nursed every 2 hours during the day. But in the last few weeks she's gotten a little quicker during the day, taking 10-15 minutes per side, and going 3-4 hours between sessions at times. She usually still has a long session before bed (sometimes the better part of 2 hours), and our MOTN session is pretty much always 40 minutes exactly. It seemed like all she did was nurse for the first 2 months, but now it seems like she's more alert and interested in other things during the day.
  • Options
    2 months old and she nurses 7 minutes. Every single time. She also eats every 2 hours during the day so it would be nice if she ate longer to spread it out a little but it works for us. Birth weight was 6 lbs 11oz and at 2 months she's 11 lbs 2oz. I assume she is getting plenty and just gets down to business when it's time to nurse. The dr told me anything after 15 minutes is usually comfort nursing. But I think, like adults, some babies eat faster and some like to savor their food lol
  • Options
    About 40 minutes... Sometimes longer, but it used to be closer to 50. I heard some babies get quicker and more efficient as they get older.
  • Options
    My LO eats for an average of 10 minutes on one side. She rarely takes much more and usually it's less, sometimes only a couple minutes. I can't seem to get her to go any longer. She seems satisfied afterwards and there's not much more I can do if she doesn't want it...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    About 10 min total. He's doubled his birth weight at 3mo so I know he's getting enough.

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • Options
    smabdo said:

bumwaters said:

Mine only does 10 mins one side...now I'm worried he isn't eating enough!!!

Exactly this!
    Same! I was also getting worried until I saw your posts. He's a fat beast though.
    BabyFruit Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Probably between 10-20 minutes. He will go longer and comfort nurse forever if I let him. He bfs quite often though. Every 2 hours and he's 9 weeks. He goes longer at night but not by much I know he's getting enough he was 6lb 11oz at birth and is 10lb 7.5oz as of today. It all depends on you flow speed and the baby's ability to transfer milk. I have fast letdown so he gets the job done quickly.
  • Options
    Anywhere from 7-15 minutes on one side. He's over 18 lbs at 11 weeks.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • Options
    It was 40 min sessions every 2 hours. But now he's starting to eat quicker 20-30 mins and going longer between feedings 3-4 hours.
  • Options
    Between 7-12 minutes, typically one side. I have a fast letdown. If it's later in the day he is more likely to take both sides but his time will still total 8-12 minutes. Every once in a while he will want to stay latched for a really long time, but that's typically when he's feeling fussy

imageimage

• Options
    When I have a fast let down about 10-15 minutes. When he's not a hungry beast it takes him about 20, he only nurses one side at a time about 3-4 hours during the day.
  • Options
    I have a pretty fast letdown and DD is pretty much always frantic when it comes to eating. Average times for us range between 5 and 12 minutes. Every 2.5-3.5 hours during the day and with one 4.5 hour block as her longest at night. She was 8lbs 1oz at birth and close to 13lbs now at 9 weeks.
  • Options
    LO eats in 5-10 minutes and then pops off by herself. She only also nurses one side per feeding. She is MUCH more efficient than DS was. IT took 30-45 minutes to feed him...she must know she is a second child and we have things to do haha.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I am so appreciative for this thread to know that DD isn't the only one who is a quick eater! After bottle feeding my older preemie twins and obsessing over how many ounces they were eating, it has been a big change to learn how to trust my body and hers. Most of the time I am ok, but it doesn't always keep the doubts from sneaking in!
  • Options
    My daughter does about ten minutes on one. I asked our pedi about it and she said it's fine. Babies at around week 10/12 (mine is 11 weeks, but has been doing that since 10 weeks). I produce 3-4 oz per breast, I know from pumping. You might have that too. Quite a few moms I know have that, so my pedi told me to do one side per feeding, because my daughter was getting too much milk. As long as your baby is growing and seems content I wouldn't worry :) Also, feeding gets quicker as they become more efficient.
  • Options
    My son is 8 weeks and it's always in the teens. I cut him off at 20 because be falls asleep. I only do one side per feed because the lactation lady thinks we have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance going on... Ugh
  • Options
    Mine would BF for hours if I let her, so per our LC, I cut her off at 10 minutes per side. She takes more than enough in those 20 minutes and anything beyond that is for comfort.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD, now almost 12 weeks, nurses 30/30 on each side every 2/3 hours but when she reached 7 or 8 weeks I noticed my letdown would take 7 minutes tops when pumping and realized she was comfort nursing (my letdown got faster the more I BF'd & pumped to increase supply sooner to help during growth spurts). But I'm fine with it, I go back to work in 2 weeks and already feel bummed that I won't have the opportunity to do this everyday with her after I return to the office; only weekends. It's funny, I used to HATE BF'ing in the beginning, it wasn't an easy road but after sticking to it (through tears) it's become easy and very convenient (took 4 weeks to get there) and is a great bonding experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"