January 2015 Moms

Used breast pump

Just wondering what your feelings are about using a breast pump that was given to me by a good friend.  She didn't breastfeed for very long and only used the pump a few times.  It is Medela brand.  I just read a few articles saying unless it is a hospital grade pump, it should not be used by more than one person for fear of contamination.  She is a good friend and I trust her, but still am feeling kind of weird about using it now.  I would love to save the money, but of course I want to be safe.  Just wondering your thoughts on this?

Re: Used breast pump

• Just buy new breast shields, bottles, and hoses and you should be fine. I was given a used one and I plan on using it. Buying new accessories is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new pump.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was going to say exactly what @bwall84‌ said. Just replace the parts.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was going to use my SIL's that she gave to me (sounds a lot like your situation - barely used), but I just decided to get the free one through my insurance. I think my main concern was that I didn't know exactly how old hers was and I didn't want to get the wrong parts.
  • I think it would be fine. Like a PP said buy new shields and other parts
  • Check your insurance, with the aca insurance companies were supposed to provide a free pump. I know some got out of it via loopholes, but its worth checking.
  • I'm not sure but maybe they don't want to cover it in the case that you decide not to breast feed and go with formula? In that case you won't know until after birth if you can't breast feed. In general unless the baby has jaundice they don't recommend feeding bottles right away so you have some time to establish a routine then add in pumping. Obviously everyone has their own circumstances eg someone may need to create a stash because they're going to work right away, but I'm guessing they don't want to give out more than they have to and want to be sure you'll need one. My ds had jaundice and my insurance covered a pump rental for one month even before the aca, so if you really need one asap most likely you can leave the hospital with one even if its just Rental.
  • I am using a new pump at home, but am using a hand-me-down pump from my sister-in-law that I can keep at work. I replaced tubes and other parts PP had mentioned.
  • heidih21 said:
    Can I ask a side question... I called my insurance and the person I talked to said she did think they would cover it until the baby was born. Does that seem right? If I'm pregnant why won't they cover it now?
    Same for my insurance company. I got mine at the hospital the day I went home. They were familiar with my insurance and knew which pumps were covered.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • I would probably use a pump from a good family member or friend, but I would replace the parts. Heck I replaced all my parts because I felt it would be better to have new ones after so long. Unless it was a closed system I wouldn't take a used pump from a stranger.

As far as needing to familiarize yourself with the pump ahead of time, I wouldn't really worry about it. I have a Medela PISA and it was very simple and straightforward. Only thing I wish I would have known is that you can refrigerate parts instead of washing after each use. That would have really helped out a lot those first couple weeks. 

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Thanks everyone!  I will definitely replaced the parts.  I am also going to call my insurance company to get a free one, but I would like to keep one at home and have one at work so I don't have to bring it back & forth every day.
  • edited November 2014
    I'm fine with it. 

I wanted an extra breast pump and bought a used medela on eBay. Not having to take the pump to work every day makes life so much easier. 

I'm a big fan of multiple pumps. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • My insurance company will send me one when I get to 30 days of my due date.

I have one from dd, but I'm going to get the new one just in case something happens to one of them, I can have a backup.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"