Trying to Get Pregnant

Newbie Alert

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to The Bump TTGP with a weird/confusing situation..... About me, 33yo SO 33yo, married since April 12, 2014. A little history, I was on BCP's since 17 yo, was told by my OBGYN NP since I took BCP's back to back for YEARS WITHOUT taking the placebo pills when suppose to (yes, ignorant 20 something yo) that I would have trouble TTGP and would need the help of infertility drugs but now my new OBGYN said I'd have no problems?!?!? Quite confusing getting different opinions from them. Long story short, I stopped taking BCP's in March 2014, was not actively TTGP until after our honeymoon this past October. I've been tracking my cycles since June. I know the 14 day theory of ovulation is not accurate since everyone has different cycles, I've been using OPK the past two months with no luck. This past week (11/29 approx) I was theoretically due to ovulate, so we were actively TTGP all week. I had my period on 11/14, normal and finished 5 days later. Now, last night I started bleeding. And still am lightly this morning. Very confusing. Thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else has had the same issue with the bleeding before AF is due (not for 2 more weeks or so) everything AF-wise has been "normal" since March, which is why this is throwing me off. (Side note, I was also told at my last PAP a few months ago, that I had a high-risk strain of HPV, though my OBGYN said this is nothing to worry about in relation to TTGP?!?!?) Don't wory, if this has been answered elsewhere, I won't flip out on you for guiding me in the right direction

Re: Newbie Alert

• Thank you all for the helpful information! Will def start thinking/looking outside the box! I just got a BBT and will start temping regularly. I'll take the bleeding as an irregular period too runningmommy519, guess I ovulated way earlier than I thought...... Let down but determined!
  • Welcome.  I hope someone can answer your questions for you, like others I would suggest you get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility and a basal body temperature thermometer...
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there! Welcome to the board. Fertility Friend is an awesome app to keep track of your cycle and temp, to help you figure out when you're ovulating. Best of luck to you.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• If you used OPKs the last two months with no positives and then had an irregular cycle, you might not be ovulating at all yet. Temping and charting can tell you if you are ovulating by a temperature shift. All the more reason to start using Fertility friend.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• I think your questions have been answered so I just wanted to say welcome and good luck!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• osesecret said:
    are they going to do anything about the high risk strain of HPV? How often have you gotten PAPs and how long have they been abnormal? "High risk" and "nothing to worry about" don't sit right to me...as someone who had a LEEP and was benched because of it for a fairly long time.

I've been getting regular ones since 17? Or so. Yes, it didn't sit well with me either. Not to mention, I've bleed a few times after sex, which NEVERTHELESS happened prior to, which I also asked my OBGYN about and AGAIN, was told don't worry about it. I'm thinking I'm going to make an appt with my OBGYN to see what's going on. Honestly, my PAPs were always " normal" except this last one a few months ago. I was freaking out about her telling me I tested + for HPV, not only +, but also that it was a high risk strain. She basically said it would just mean I'd have to have PAPs every year or two rather than the typical 3yrs when normal. I was also and still am, concerned it could play into my TTGP?.. I can't imagine it would be just as easy to get pregnant if carrying a high risk strain? Who knows. It's the story of my life unfortunately...... Regarding the temping, is it best to check it the second you wake up and are still in bed? Could I get up then check it?
  • Welcome. I agree with PP's on starting temping and charting to confirm that your ovulating. It's best to take your temp at the same time every day before you get out of bed. 
  • You should take your temperature before you move around.
    Anniversary
    Me: 27 | DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 10/14
  • Welcome and good luck.
    Me: 29 ~ DH: 27
    Married: 04/25/14
    TTC #1 Since September 2014
    BFP 12.13.14 -- EDD 08.28.15

***Siggy Warning***

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Lurker, hope thus is ok.....pap and HPV test are two things. You can test positive for HPV and have normal cells but you are at risk for abnormal in future. This link is helpful. www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/pap/default.htm#sec5
  • osesecret said:
    osesecret said:
    are they going to do anything about the high risk strain of HPV? How often have you gotten PAPs and how long have they been abnormal? "High risk" and "nothing to worry about" don't sit right to me...as someone who had a LEEP and was benched because of it for a fairly long time.

I've been getting regular ones since 17? Or so. Yes, it didn't sit well with me either. Not to mention, I've bleed a few times after sex, which NEVERTHELESS happened prior to, which I also asked my OBGYN about and AGAIN, was told don't worry about it. I'm thinking I'm going to make an appt with my OBGYN to see what's going on. Honestly, my PAPs were always " normal" except this last one a few months ago. I was freaking out about her telling me I tested + for HPV, not only +, but also that it was a high risk strain. She basically said it would just mean I'd have to have PAPs every year or two rather than the typical 3yrs when normal. I was also and still am, concerned it could play into my TTGP?.. I can't imagine it would be just as easy to get pregnant if carrying a high risk strain? Who knows. It's the story of my life unfortunately...... Regarding the temping, is it best to check it the second you wake up and are still in bed? Could I get up then check it?
    ************* I don't think an irregular pap actually is going to effect your fertility...and if it's your first irregular one they'll just continue to monitor. I would ask what they meant by "high risk". For me, mine were irregular for several years before I had the LEEP (before they did anything), I was just closely monitored. If it's newly irregular it could be a fluke (one weird test result). If you do get pregnant before your next PAP I would definitely bring up the irregular result. If they just said "irregular" and not "high risk" I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Good luck!

I was told my Pap smear was normal except I carry a high risk strain of HPV which puts me at higher risk for developing cervical cancer, which is why they want me to have yearly PAPs, this way if it shows irregular cells of the cervix, it can be caught early. Thanks again for the great advice!
  • Birdie344Birdie344 member
    edited December 2014
    I started temping last cycle. I have learned so much! It takes so much if the guesswork out if it. When you can pinpoint ovulation you know when you can test. You also know of you are truly "late"

With temping, I thought I read it will show your temp goes up, meaning you ovulated? Or does it show you when you're ovulating so you know when to do the deed? I know when ovulating, it's only 24 hrs or do time frame that you can actually conceive? Then some places say you have to temp for a few cycles, which will show you, if your "regular", when you ovulated those cycles? Though I've also read not everyone ovulates the same time every month? Of course it would be great if temping stay to day would show a rise in temp letting you know it's time to TTC that day! I'm not sure it works that way?....
  • edited December 2014
    Birdie344 said:
    I started temping last cycle. I have learned so much! It takes so much if the guesswork out if it. When you can pinpoint ovulation you know when you can test. You also know of you are truly "late"

With temping, I thought I read it will show your temp goes up, meaning you ovulated? Or does it show you when you're ovulating so you know when to do the deed? I know when ovulating, it's only 24 hrs or do time frame that you can actually conceive? Then some places say you have to temp for a few cycles, which will show you, if your "regular", when you ovulated those cycles? Though I've also read not everyone ovulates the same time every month? Of course it would be great if temping stay to day would show a rise in temp letting you know it's time to TTC that day! I'm not sure it works that way?....
    -----quote box fail-------

Temping confirms that ovulation has occurred, it does not predict it. Some people have a temp drop prior to ovulation. You can conceive up to five days prior to ovulation and up to 24 hours after ovulation has occurred.

OPKs can show an LH surge which occurs prior to ovulation, but they aren't definite (some women never get positives, while others have multiple surges throughout their cycle).

I would suggest looking at tutorials on fertility friend (you can look at community galleries as well to see what charts look like) also read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"