Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Travel System Recommendations

hannahj0hannahj0 member
edited October 2014 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
Hi ladies! I posted this on my birth month board but wanted to get additional opinions:

I know many people aren't fans of travel systems, but I'm set on wanting one. I think it will work best for hubby and I. Also, I really don't think they are that bulky.

I know many people are fans of Britax and Chicco but after playing with them in the store I just don't get the hype. Hubby does NOT want to spend a ton of money (his words were.."we don't need the Cadillac of everything"). We are also getting ready to close on a house, so I see his point in not paying a lot..but on the other hand, this is something that will for the most part be used everyday for years.

Anyway! I thought I was set on the Graco FastAction Fold Sport. So ready to buy it. But, I went to the store to check it out one last time and noticed a few things I didn't really care for and have a few questions for you mamas that already have it!

What do you think about the opening/space in the back?? I find it strange that the seat back does not go all the way up and is not fully enclosed. I'm thinking it might be an issue when snowy/rainy/windy (not sure if I'm describing this well, attached a picture for what I'm talking about. I drew a red line showing the gap I'm referring to)

Also, some reviews have complained about the seat not going fully upright and child/ toddler always being at an incline. Do any of you have complaints about that? Or what about it not going completely down/lying flat?? Then there is the drawstring to get it to recline. Has this been a PITA for anyone?

Lastly, the stroller didn't seem to have much cushion and the flap at the peekaboo window is attached at the bottom with no Velcro and seems that it would just constantly fly open.

Then I came across the Graco Aire3. Didn't really look at the store so I'll be going back. It's much more expensive (I can get the FastAction for $124 right now, whereas this one will be at anywhere from $255-$325), but the back is fully enclosed and it lies completely flat - and the foot rail goes up which can make the seat more like a pram. It definitely seems more cushiony for babes. I also like the parent tray much better on the aire3 (zippered compartment!) but there is no child tray and I read it was a pain to remove the bar to get toddler in and out. Lastly, the Aire3 folds much more compact and neater than the FastAction Sport which would save room in my 2012 Corolla trunk.

Hubby doesn't think we need to spend the extra money and my concerns are not a concern to him. I'm wondering if it's really worth it to spend the extra cash? Of course it's always nicer to have the "more luxurious" options..but necessary? I feel as far as cushion goes we could purchase strap pads and extra cushions for the FastAction (maybe? Not sure these actually exist to buy). Not sure if the other concerns should be dealbreakers (again, to hubby they definitely are not). Are these legitimate complaints for a stroller or are they just features that would be nice to have? There are less fortunate people who do just fine with much cheaper strollers I'm sure? I hate to get caught up in the "my baby needs the nicest things" when they aren't really a necessity and we could use the money elsewhere (new house).

What do ya'll think?? Thanks so much for your input!! Sorry this is so long!

Re: Travel System Recommendations

• Options
    I personally would not buy any of these Graco strollers. They are cheap and will not last. I know you are set on a travel system. The more expensive Graco will cost you $300? You can get a City Versa stroller for $225 right now and then get a car seat to snap into it. It won't cost you that much more and the City Versa is a more supurb stroller with everything you are looking for and more. It folds flat, the seat reclines, can parent face, better wheels, better canopy. I have this stroller and it is the best stroller I have ever purchased. https://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/baby-jogger/2013-city-versa-stroller/black/?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=GooglePLA&gclid=CPaW25fA1MECFY-DaQodHWkAlA Here is a more detailed look at the Versa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-d6sMJI0io
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    You get what you pay for with strollers!

I personally loved the Britax B-Agile with the B-Safe seat. It folds super easy, seat clicks in and out quickly. The stroller is solid. I've have friends who started with Graco systems and wound up paying more in the end to replace the strollers because they hated them so much!

Another inexpensive option is to get what ever car seat you like and get a snap n go frame. When baby is done with that, get a decent stroller.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had the chicco travel system and we ended up getting a city mini gt. If I had to do all over again I would have started with the city mini and just bought the adapter and carrier.
  • Options
    I think Graco strollers and travel systems are perfectly fine! We had a Urban Lite travel System with our 1st and while I ended up using a frame + carseat rather than the TS more, the stroller was really nice and sturdy and would have lasted us for as long as we would have wanted. No experience with those two you mention here, but I would not hesitate about getting a Graco product. People here tend to forget that many folks don't have $500+ to spend on fancy joggers which require special adapters and accessories, anything from a snack tray to rain cover, at additional high price.
  • Options
    Another vote here for the Britax B-Agile stroller & B-Safe infant seat. Stroller is so easy to fold, unfold, and maneuver. And is lightweight. Car seat is easy to install and use.

You use these items daily, it's worth it to get good ones.

DH thought I was crazy wanting the B-Agile, he didn't see why it was worth it vs the cheaper strollers. Then once DS arrived and he started using it, he was like "ok, this stroller is awesome!"

I've never used the Chicco infant seat or stroller, but I can say that I love our Chicco NextFit convertible car seat.

To contrast, we have a cheaper convertible car seat for traveling (one that is lighter than the steel-framed Nextfit and fits on a plane better). It's so much more frustrating to use! Both in installing it in a car and buckling DS in.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Options
    LittleAppleLittleApple member
    edited October 2014
    I think Graco strollers and travel systems are perfectly fine! We had a Urban Lite travel System with our 1st and while I ended up using a frame + carseat rather than the TS more, the stroller was really nice and sturdy and would have lasted us for as long as we would have wanted. No experience with those two you mention here, but I would not hesitate about getting a Graco product. People here tend to forget that many folks don't have $500+ to spend on fancy joggers which require special adapters and accessories, anything from a snack tray to rain cover, at additional high price.
    You have no experience with the ones listed above so how do you know? I had a Graco travel system and thought it was perfectly fine until I tried a City Mini. Mind blowing how much better the stroller was.   Better wheels, better frame, better everything.  Graco is made of plastic and more plastic.  Everything squeaks after a while.
    You don't have to drop $500 for a good stroller.  Bottom line is you get what you pay for.  You want "perfectly fine" ?or something awesome that will last.

The Graco strollers the OP mentioned are a complete cheap ripoff of the City Mini. Heavier, cheaper materials, more plastic.   Nothing compares to the original.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses ladies. We will be using it around the neighborhood when we go on walks with our dog. I imagine the store, the zoo, nothing too wild haha.

Like I said previously, I played with the Britax and Chicco and don't get the hype at all. DH and I couldn't easily get the car seat in and out of the Britax so that was very quickly ruled out, not to mention the car seat with base is larger and I have a small car. I also dislike that parent and/or child trays would need to be bought separately.

I did like the Chicco Bravo but found the car seat to be a lot heavier than the Graco, and the handle was harder to move forward and backward because it kept getting stuck on the canopy. Also, pushing it around the store felt much bumpier/bouncier than the graco's and we were inside on a smooth surface!

The City Mini wasn't bad but I was not a fan that it doesn't stand when folded up.

We spent about 3 hours in the store tonight and ruled out every stroller we looked at except our original 2. We ended up choosing the Graco Aire3 and the only thing I don't like about it is the smaller basket and that it's somewhat difficult to get to. It's very easy to maneuver, folds and unfolds easily and is compact. Will definitely fit in my small trunk and was very light for me to lift. I also like the large canopy, parent tray and single lock for both rear brakes. I didn't get the color/pattern I wanted but hubby likes it so oh well.

I agree in a sense that you get what you pay for. I also think these companies know moms will spend an outrageous amount on their babies, so a higher price doesn't necessarily mean a better product. I know there were some travel systems recommended here that we're around the same price as the one we ended up going with, but everyone likes something different. There's enough Graco products and they are always one of the top brands, they gotta be doing something right. After playing around with other brands, I liked all of the Graco styles we tried out better. Call me crazy! Haha
  • Options
    Oh and we ended up getting the Aire3 for $223, so DH was pleased
  • Options
    @hannahj0‌ just so you are aware, the Britax B-safe is one of the most compact infant seats you can buy. The only one that is actually shorter front to back is the Cybex Aton, which is twice the price.

https://csftl.org/battle-of-the-infant-seats/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    I know you say you don't get the hype of the britax b agile but I have to say I'm so glad we went with this choice. It is so easy to move the infant seat from the stroller to car base and back. I liked that it snaps in straight down without having to tilt the seat like with the gracco or Chico. Also maneuvering the stroller with one hand easily is a must have and that wasn't the case with the 4 wheel base systems. Also it's lighter and folds flatter than some of the other ones. Plus the buy buy baby 20% coupon helped.
  • Options
    dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited November 2014
    Leysin97 said:

I know you say you don't get the hype of the britax b agile but I have to say I'm so glad we went with this choice. It is so easy to move the infant seat from the stroller to car base and back. I liked that it snaps in straight down without having to tilt the seat like with the gracco or Chico. Also maneuvering the stroller with one hand easily is a must have and that wasn't the case with the 4 wheel base systems. Also it's lighter and folds flatter than some of the other ones. Plus the buy buy baby 20% coupon helped.

I'll second this point. Our dog was in rare form this afternoon on our walk. I don't know how I would have maneuvered the stroller with two hands and dog on the leash.

If someone told me I HAD to get a travel system I'd get the Britax. I currently have a City Mini GT and an $8 strap that allows me to secure our Chicco Keyfit to it, making it a "travel system".
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    The "bumpy" ride on the Britax was probably just the built in suspension.  

I hope you are happy with your choice in the long run.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    I know you get what you pay for, but the Graco Fast Action travel system includes the stroller and the carseat.  To get a City Mini you have to buy the stoller, plus a car seat, plus the $60 adapter, plus a possible additional piece for the carseat.  

Is this truly worth it, rather than just going with the Graco? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    EDD: 4/23/15   Team Pink!!!
  • Options

I know you get what you pay for, but the Graco Fast Action travel system includes the stroller and the carseat.  To get a City Mini you have to buy the stoller, plus a car seat, plus the $60 adapter, plus a possible additional piece for the carseat.  

$8 strap instead of $65 adaptor. Works perfectly for us (City Mini GT + Chicco Keyfit)

Britax Adapter Strap Kit, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEAJ9K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c5PDub1TJQ3D6
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • Options

$8 strap instead of $65 adaptor. Works perfectly for us (City Mini GT + Chicco Keyfit) Britax Adapter Strap Kit, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEAJ9K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c5PDub1TJQ3D6
    You can use this for even not Britax carseats? This is secure? Mind = blown!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    EDD: 4/23/15   Team Pink!!!
  • Options
    Yes.  Buying a better than Graco stroller is worth it in the long run.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

$8 strap instead of $65 adaptor. Works perfectly for us (City Mini GT + Chicco Keyfit)

Britax Adapter Strap Kit, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEAJ9K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c5PDub1TJQ3D6

You can use this for even not Britax carseats? This is secure? Mind = blown!

It's worked perfectly for us for 3 months now
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"