Blended Families
Options

going to court vs grandparents

Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I'm a SAHM to our 4 & 2 year old kids. My husband is Active Duty in the Army. Once upon a time I had a great relationship with his parents. About a week after my husband left for a 12 month deployment, his ex wife was involved in a meth lab bust resulting in the kids being taken away and going to live with Grandma and Grandpa (DH's parents).  At first they were all for us taking custody as soon as he got home. But after about 2 months with the kids, they started talking to my husband less while deployed, they mailed me a letter that said "to get on with our lives" and haven't spoken with me or our 2 kids.  About halfway through deployment, the ex wife got in a car accident and passed away.  My husband started being ignored and denied talking to his kids completely after this.  When he got home they agreed to meet up with us, and their pastor.  We all met and talked and they asked us why we wanted custody of his kids (because they are his kids?!), and basically agreed to come up with a plan to get the kids to us. After a month of hearing nothing we called them back and they told my DH to contact the kids school counselor, she suggested writing the kids letters, then making phone calls. We did this and then they said they weren't going to give the kids letters. We really wanted to be able to maintain a relationship with his parents and we thought doing so in a civil manner would be the best way. If we could go back in time we would've just gone to court from the jump. We were concerned with plucking the kids from school so that is why we tried to do it his parents way. Today we went and filed for custody and got a court date of June 10th. I guess I'm really nervous. I feel like he should automatically win, as his parents were given Temp custody, and he is the father who wants to raise his kids...(neither of us have any history of drug abuse, criminal records, heck I don't even have a traffic ticket! My husband has paid child support to his parents since they got the kids, he tried to make contact with them, we have a home, he makes good money...and again HE is their father)  All that being said I feel like we should absolutely win, and since feeling that way then I began to think "what if it sounds so easy and definite that we win...that we actually don't" I've never been to court..don't know how it works or what to expect. Should I expect we just walk in and win and get to take them home that day? Or will they give us a date to get them? When they got the kids no visitation was written up for him in the court. We want these kids so bad, to show them love and raise them..I have no idea why his mother wants us not to have them..up until this we were the best of friends.  I guess I'm just kind of ranting/needed to get it out/confused on how court works.  Also, we are representing ourselves. If we don't win we will get a lawyer and go back. I'm not really sure if there will be a custody "battle" as the mother is deceased, the grandparents have temp custody, its not like its a mother and a father trying to battle custody.

Re: going to court vs grandparents

• Options
    alb2411alb2411 member
    Definitely get a lawyer now and do not try to represent yourselves. Like PP said, once custody is determined, it will be extremely hard to have the order changed. You don't want to take a risk on losing because you will likely not be able to reverse it if you do. You hopefully also have some documentation or notes of everything you described above. This includes every letter you sent to the kids, every phone call your DH tried to make to them, every discussion with the grandparents, the letter they sent you, etc. Document past things as accurately as possible and document current things like it is your job. Your DH should also continue serious efforts to speak to his kids, even if the grandparents ignore him. Document all of this also.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm confused about why the kids didn't come to live with you while he was deployed. I would be ready for that question. Especially because he could always be deployed again. What would be your plan if he is deployed again? Will you keep them or send them back to the grandparents? Maybe his parents are worried about the kids being in a stable home and not shuffling back & forth. Think about that question and be ready with an answer. Also, have they ever given a reason why they don't want to return the kids or have limited contact with the kids? I would be ready with concrete facts to contradict or try to explain why their reasons are not valid. I 100% agree that you should get a lawyer now and document like crazy with specific details so a Judge can trust that what you are saying is accurate. And ask around for recommendations. Not all lawyers are the same and some are just not good at their jobs. Plus with the focus on collaboration in some areas, some family law lawyers are not as good at highly confrontational family situations. Really think through what you need & ask lots of questions before you hire someone. It is an important decision.
  • Options
    rsrcd8rsrcd8 member
    Thanks all for the response! The kids didn't come live with me because I'm not their parent and DCS never even contacted him or I. The mother only gave them the grandparents number. We do not live in the same state as the kids. If/when he deploys again NO the kids would not be sent back to the grandparents. I just wasn't even given the option to take them while he was deployed. I have documentation of everything (recipets from mailing the letters, phone records, facebook messages, emails etc) We are going to try and meet with a few lawyers today and Monday. Thank you for the imput :)
  • Options
    ambrvanambrvan member
    Best of luck. If your H is in the military, then you may be able to get guidance or through them.

I am not an expert, but I think this would be considered a violation of his parental rights. As long as he was legally established as the children's father before this (on the birth certificate Or through paternity test).
  • Options
    they are his kids, he goes to the home and he picks them up.
    there really isn't much the grand parent can do anyway but "see him in court"
  • Options
    rsrcd8rsrcd8 member
    Well we got a lawyer today. Court is the tenth! Just praying it's in our favor. They are wanted by us very bad and they don't even know it. I've suggested just showing up there but my husband isn't confrontational at all.
  • Options
    I am so glad you retained a lawyer.  This is not something you can handle on your own - especially if the grandparents have a lawyer.

To help yourself, document all the letters, emails, attempts to work things out, attempts to work with the pastor and the school counselor ABOUT WHAT WAS BEST FOR THE KIDS.  Demonstrate anything the parents did to alienate the children from their father.  

You also need to make your H understand that he needs to choose his kids over "not making waves" with his parents.  This may destroy his relationship with his parents, but it is what is best for his children.  I counseling for your H (to develop a backbone) and your skids (due to their many changes, death of their mother, drug addict mother).  Obviously, that is something you need to work on once you have custody.

And I personally would not bend over backwards to be generous with your ILS.  They have attempted to alienate DH from his own children - which is not in their best interest AT ALL!!!  They are NOT a good influence on the children.
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    Glad you got a lawyer. Does your dh have any ideas as to why his own parents turned against him? When I first read this I thought this was the dead bm's parents- that would make sense. But it's not.... and doesn't it seem odd that the BM would only give her ex-inlaws phone number to the police? I would never had my dc off to my exh's parents. there must be more to this story. Good luck!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say you have been given very good suggestions, I hope you consider it and follow as your lawyer directs.  I wish you well, hopeful for a healthy and happy outcome for the children.
  • Options
    Definitely get an attorney! We went through something similar with the grandparents grabbing up rights while my dh was in the military and due to unstable bm. We honestly didn't take it seriously because like uhhh parental rights and my dh retired from the military so he could care for his son. We were wrong and only got an attorney at the last second and we lost pretty big. If we had been serious from the beginning we could have asked for a GAL and psych evlas and I'm sure it would have gone differently. PM me if you ever want to vent! Sending good thoughts and prayers for your date on the 10th
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thinking about you and your family. Hoping for a favorable outcome for you in the 10th. I know it's a stressful time.
  • Options
    Most courts will not uproot a child from their "home." Unfortunately if they are established with the grandparents the court may keep them there and your husband gets visitation. Getting a lawyer is your best and smartest option. Good luck.
  • Options
    Keep us updated please. T&Ps
  • Options
    rsrcd8rsrcd8 member

Our lawyer said that we it should be simple because he never lost his superior parental rights, since the grandparents were only granted temporary custody and no action was taken against my husband. He said we don't even have to prove that it's in the best interest of the kids, just prove that are stable - which we are. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers ! I will let you know how it goes...Tuesday is the day.

• Options

Crossing my fingers with you! 

• Options
    Hey, how'd it go?
  • Options
    rsrcd8rsrcd8 member

It got continued to July 8th, since they didn't have a full 30 days.

• Options
    I know a continuance can be frustrating, but look at it as more time to prepare for the new court date. Do everything in your power to contact the kids during this time and keep maintaining your records. We were continued several times during our case, but the extra time actually allowed us to discover a few pieces of new evidence we would not have had if the case had been heard on the original date.
  • Options

Good luck to you. In most states, Grandparents do not have rites to the children should one parent die. What they did was WRONG. Telling your husband to just get on with his life? Keeping him from them? Who does that?

While I would not just assume you will win, you have a very good chance. What they've done is kidnapped your stepkids in a sense, and it's completely wrong.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options
    rsrcd8rsrcd8 member

Just wanted to keep everyone updated

Today we got a letter from DH's parents lawyer. He wrote "my clients have authorized me to make a settlement offer in the refreneced matter.  If you wish to regain custody of your children, my clients are willing to work with you and attempt to make that a possibility". They want to resolve the issue outside of court.  Our lawyer is advising we agree to these terms.  My only thoughts are: He says they are making a settlement offer, but only used the word "possibility" when coming to actually getting custody. They want us to meet with the counselor and follow the recommendations the counselor has as to rebuilding the relationship between my husbands kids and him. This is all fine and dandy but right now his kids don't like him or I very much, as they feel as though they've been abandoned because no communication has been allowed or even acknowledged, the children think he just isn't trying. Espcially the oldest. Our worries are that when we go through with this, the counselor is going to end up saying they don't think it is in the interest of the children to live with us because of the relationship between the grandparents. Also the fact that WE HAVE ALREADY MET WITH THE COUNSELOR and followed her recommendations of writing the children letters and the grandparents never gave them to the kids.  We don't know if this is just a stall tactic or if they are genuinely just looking for a relationship to be rebuilt. We tried this once already, following all their rules and it got us nowhere.... Our lawyer advises us to try this once again because if we went to court next week and lost then they would have full custody and could just say ok nope not working towards you getting them now, and it's hard to go to court after the ruling is in place. He also thinks that now that we have an official letter from their lawyer, that we will absolutely win if they don't follow through.

Feeling confused and sad. We really just want to show them the love we have for them. I know it's not an easy process but it just kinda sucks we have to start back at block 1 because they cut off contact, and then when we already tried to rebuild the relationship they just didn't allow it.

• Options
    From what you have described, the grandparents will go along with the counselor if the counselor favors them (the grandparents), if not "the possibility" will never happen.

Has your lawyer countered?  Why does he think you would lose?  Is there anything you have not shared?  

If I were in your shoes I would counter that I would be happy to work with a counselor to transition the children into living in your home FULL TIME, and that you do not believe that any other situation is in the best interest of your children.  Aside from their bio-dad, they now have siblings that the grandparents are keeping them from.  

I would also look into charging the grandparents with kidnapping.  That is a serious charge, although I'm not sure if the temporary orders would protect them (however, if the temporary orders were just until school was out, or just until your DH returned home from deployment, you may be able to charge them).

Did the children receive any money when their mom died (life insurance, house)?  Could this be what this is about?
    Also, they have custody - do they also have the ability to make decisions for your children?  
    If your H is military, are there any legal services he can use to help you?  I can't believe this is unique to you (terrible though it may be).

There is a website (grandparents dot come) that has the grandparents rights by state.  Many states that DO or state they have grandparents rights also note that grandparents have lost their rights on appeal.  Check on your state to see what is the norm.  And typically, grandparents rights are only for grandparents of the deceased / divorced parent (ie: DH's exW's parents would qualify for grandparents rights, 

Your H needs to fight for his kids, and if that means making mommy and daddy (his) mad at him, he needs to be able to do this.

You also need to consider cutting the grandparents from your lives.  I know it will be hard for the kids, but if they see the kids, they should only have supervised and limited visitation.  They are poison from what you have described.

• Options
    I agree with what Jess9802 said. Counter their offer. Do not agree because things will not change.

My SD only gets supervised visits with her BM. Before the supervision was in place (the most recent order anyway), she had been completely absent for over 6mo (no phone calls, letters, or visits). There had to be a series of steps taken to "reestablish a relationship" between BM and the grandparents that would be supervising before visitation could take a permanent schedule.

It should be the same way transitioning these children to your home. You and your H need time to rebuild this relationship abd break through the grandparents' poison, but it needs to have a set schedule of progress so that they ARE TRANSITIONING toward living in your home full time.

Make sure EVERYTHING is spelled out to the tee. And if they don't agree or fail to uphold their end, go to court.

If you go to court, it may be a good idea to get the kids a GAL.
  • Options
    WahooWahoo member
    edited July 2014
    Any good news? I posted to wish you luck but see the court date was July 8.
    image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Options
    Keep us updated. So glad things are turning out well for y'all so far. No contact from them since? Gosh, that sounds like a really awful set of grandparents who really only wanted the money and control. I hope things go well for these two kiddos.
  • Options
    So glad things went your way!

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Options
    That is good news!!!!
    "he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"