Baby Names

Mable vs Mabel

babymcb21babymcb21 member
edited November 2014 in Baby Names
I've never posted over in this neck of the woods...so first, hi!! I'm a FTM due May 15 :-h. MH and I have a REALLY hard time with names. We really dislike common names, and somehow also dislike a lot of unique names, too. The struggle is real. We only have 1 name on our boy and girl list so far....(if we end up having another one day that is the same sex, we are screwed)

But I do really love the name Mable, and I always have. I know some people consider it very old lady-ish, but it's just never felt that way to me. I don't at all put it in the same category as Betsy/Mildred/Beatrice, etc. With certain old fashion names being on the upswing, and it being a 'celebrity baby name' (thanks, Bruce Willis), I really feel like it'll be making a comeback. It's finally grown on MH and I feel like it may be a real possibility if we end up with a little girl.

So with that being said, it should be obvious that I prefer the spelling Mable over Mabel. I've googled it up and down (and searched the BMB) and as far as I can tell, Mable is not incorrect. Or is it!? Many of you seem to be name gurus/linguistic masters...so please enlighten me if I'm totally off base here!

One more thing...if we have a girl named Mable, I'd consider Marilyn for a middle name. It was my grandmothers name, who passed away when I was a kid. I don't love the double M, but I think I can deal with it because the middle name means so much to me. Any thoughts on if this just sounds completely terrible and I'm too biased to see it? Thanks in advance! And sorry for the super long post ;).

Edited for a typo that was not there when I hit post...

Re: Mable vs Mabel

• I LOVE the name Mabel but prefer it Mabel, not Mable.  And Mabel Marilyn is a lot of Ms but I don't think people use the middle names enough to worry about it since it actually has meaning to you.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I prefer Mabel. I don't know tha Mable is incorrect, but it looks strange to me. I don't mind Mabel Marilyn.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Moidonna said:
    I like Mabel.  Mable looks like table.  I don't know if it's incorrect, but I've never seen it spelled that way.
    I find both spellings when I research the name. I think I always assumed it was Mable, then realized Mabel was more common.

I guess the fact that it 'looks' like table is sort of why I like it...to me, Mabel looks like "may-bel" whereas Mable looks like "may-bul" (like tay-bul).

This could also be accent related, too. I'm from the north east US (you know, where people say "a" instead of "er" and "er" instead of "a"), so that might make a difference on how I see it and say it. 
  • Spell it Mabel! I love love love this name and can't get DH on board. I see Marble when I see Mable.

As far as the MN. Family names trump flow. My favorite name right now is Naomi Kimberly. The flow is not horrid but kinda sucky but I would still use the MN because it is a family name. 
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• babymcb21babymcb21 member
    edited November 2014
    Spell it Mabel! I love love love this name and can't get DH on board. I see Marble when I see Mable.

As far as the MN. Family names trump flow. My favorite name right now is Naomi Kimberly. The flow is not horrid but kinda sucky but I would still use the MN because it is a family name. 
    Ah we are so torn! MH said the same, that he sort of sees Marble...but again, I feel like it IS pronounced like Marble...just without the R. Ack, maybe we'll end up with a boy this round and have a few more years to think it over.

Sorry you can't convince your DH, I'll tell you it's taken many years of discussing it as a name for it to start to grow on him! And lack of other choices that we really like has helped, too. I think in both of our cases, we will not be the moms yelling our kids first and middle names when we're angry at them!

ETA: Based on your avatar pic, I'm guessing you're from the same region I am ;)
  • I'm not ready for Mabel to make a comeback yet. I think Marilyn is so much prettier for the FN spot.

In general I don't like alliterative names, but since Marilyn is so important to you I can see why you would use it.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I personally think Mabel looks correct. Beautiful name!
  • I really like it spelled Mabel. It is one of DH's favorite names. Marilyn is really pretty too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I love the name Mabel, but definitely prefer that spelling over Mable. Mable to me looks like a thing. Table. Fable. Just doesn't seem like the spelling of a name. BUT this is your baby and you get to choose :) 

• Mable looks like marble to me. Mabel is a lovely name but I vote you spell it the traditional way :)
  • Love the name! Mable looks like Maple or Marble to me, and I've never seen it spelled any way but Mabel.
  • Mable makes me think of maple syrup, however, Mable is a legit spelling so if you like it go for it. I don't have a common name and the spelling my parents chose is legit but far less common and I've always liked that. 
    I don't Mind Mable Marilyn, but like Mabel Marilyn better. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Wow, this makes me really glad I asked!!

I totally get the object v name comparison. Both my first and middle name ends with an E, so maybe just seeing the E on the end feels more natural to me. I also have a 'correct but alternatively spelled' name, and though I love the spelling, I certainly understand the pain of always correcting people...maybe that's too much to add on top of a name that's still pretty uncommon these days (not even in the top 1000).

I think I'm going to try and let Mabel grow on MH and I, and think of it more in terms of the way Michael (ironically, my Dad's name) is spelled.

Thank you all for your replies!! Much appreciated guys ^:)^
  • I like it spelled Mabel.  And Mabel Marilyn is super cute!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• This reminds me of Mad About You.  They named their daughter Mabel for the acronym "Mothers always bring extra love."  It was a contrived moment, but it is the only way I can remember to spell Mabel.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"