November 2014 Moms

Pet Allergies Already?

Jackson is now 11 days old and has been home for 10 days. He isn't stuffy all the time but he does have times where he sneezes and times where he sounds very stuffed up. I've been EBF him and he seems healthy otherwise. But with 2 cats in the house, our 2 dogs, and we've had the in-laws dog visiting (oh the stories there...), I'm wondering if it's possible that he is already showing signs of a pet allergy, thoughts? And STM's that there first had/developed a pet allergy?

Re: Pet Allergies Already?

• I was thinking the same thing. This is what I have learned. Sneezing is totally normal, it's how they clear out their nasal passages and many newborns are stuffy.
    My 3wk old has a cold and I thought it could be allergies to our dogs and cats, but I looked it up and read that usually allergies would be accompanied by red or swollen eyes, itchy face, and some other stuff I can't remember.
  • @BridgetThoams‌ I'm going to take the fact that there aren't any of the accompanying symptoms as a glimmer of hope! I was allergic to dogs as a child and my brother was allergic to cats so it's been one of my biggest fears about having kids was if they had a pet allergy. Allergies in general will probably be my biggest worry for LO between what I had as a child, DH's food allergies, and other family allergies.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was also told that sneezing is normal. Does he sound congested only when he sleeps, or when he is awake as well? I only ask bc I noticed DD has a similar sound but I feel like it happens when she's sleeping most of the time. I wonder if that's a 'snore' for them? Idk..but it would be interesting to find out!
  • @lovingaddi‌ Hmm... I'll have to start keeping track of when he sounds stuffy. I feel like I've heard it when he is awake, and while nursing, but now that I think about it I'm not 100% certain.

After some early morning googling I'm already trying to have him stay more upright and that seems to of helped some.
  • I consulted dr Google ;-) lol
    It says...
    Because newborns tend to breathe through their noses and their nasal passages are narrow, small amounts of nasal fluid or mucus can cause them to breathe noisily or sound congested even when they don't have a cold or other problem.
    Hopefully that's all it is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"