April 2015 Moms

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.. Sucks!!

hi ladies...

For a little over two months now, I've been suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. My doctor says it's pregnancy related. It is painful and debilitating, especially when I'm trying to get ready for work in the morning. Something as simple as brushing my hair hurts, and the numbness at night wakes me up. :(

Is anyone else suffering from this and what have you done that has made the pain more bearable? Thank you!

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.. Sucks!!

• Haven't had it yet this time (knock on wood) but last pregnancy from six months til he was born. I didn't find that a whole lot helped, unfortunately. The wrist braces at night made it somewhat better, but really, until my son was born I just had to put up with it. Good luck, and know I can commiserate, and relief will happen eventually!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had it pre-pregnancy and for my entire last pregnancy. I'm sorry you're going through that pain. The only thing that made it bearable for me was the brace. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I suffer from this every pregnancy, mine dosent tend to go away right after birth and can take up to a year to disappear. Brace helps at night, I also wear sports hand strap throughout the day, so I can still use my hand but it dose help with the pain.
  • I had it in my last pregnancy- talk to your doctor about the injections. It's considered safe and got me through my last 5 weeks and I was able to work after them. Before I couldn't even hold a pen in either hand. Seriously braces and all the junk before did nothing to touch the crippling pain that comes with CP. I feel for you! Ask if you can go get the injections. Completely worth it!!
  • Get a brace and be sure to hold the baby in a few different positions if/when you nurse. I had it last time and again this time and it didn't go away until a few months after baby was here and I was careful about how I nursed. The injection helped for about a week if you're dying for something!
    image Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had this as well and got really bad pp. braces helped at night and I got some PT exercises that were meant to help. Second the comment about watching how you nurse when LO arrives, that was a big problem for me.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • I had this my first pregnancy you may also have thoracic outlet syndrome (compression of the nerves in your shoulder) accompanying it if you are waking up a lot at night. The only thing that really helped me was sleeping in the lazy boy because sleeping on your side makes it worse. Also acupuncture, mld massage and ice as much as as you can. It really sucks but mine went away within a week of having my lil guy. Good luck!
  • I live with carpal tunnel syndrome. I don't lay on my back on nights where it's been bad (or at all during pregnancy when it's worse). I use a brace on days I know I'll be doing a lot of stuff that irritates it and I'm sure to rest it at night after a day of irritating it. I've heard chiroprator care helps it sometimes.
  • I have it as well, I feel your pain! I'm an Esthetician (I do facials at a spa) so I eork with my hands all the time. I only have it in my right hand, it goes numb while I'm working & I get shooting pains it in. I have been sleeping with a wrist guard for the past 5 nights & the shooting pain is gone & the numbness is happening less often. I highly recommend the wrist gaurd, and soaking your hands in warm water/warm parrafin wax really helps as well.
  • I had it with my last pregnancy. I found the braces to help. But I got the most relief from spending time in a pool. If you have access to one and time, give it a shot. I would just walk "laps" and move my arms and wrists underwater. Sorry you're going through this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"