February 2015 Moms

Glucose test at 29 weeks

I'm doing my glucose test this coming week but I'll be 29 weeks. From my understanding, it should be done at 28 weeks. Anybody know if that's okay or had theirs done at 29 weeks as well?! I had mixed reactions at the doctor office about it.

Re: Glucose test at 29 weeks

• It's only a week, it won't kill you
  • I believe 28 weeks is when they start doing them. You're fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine will be at 29 weeks, too.
  • I was given a specific window I had to go during, but I don't really know why it matters. I can't imagine a few days is such a huge deal.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• I don't think it matters when it's done. I think they say 28 weeks because that is 3rd tri. I don't think it changes anything when it's done though. I know some have it done very early on, to catch it early.
  • My OB said it had to be done before 28 weeks but then didn't schedule mine until 29 so I'm guessing it's not that big of a deal if it's a week or so off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sure it's fine. Certain offices do things differently. For instance, I'm taking a 2 hour test the first time instead of a 1 hour.
  • The way I understand is they usually want to check at 28 weeks so they could get gestational diabetes under control sooner. Glucose level for women with GD deviates at a steeper rate from normal around 30 weeks. The window where the deviation is significant enough to differentiate between normal and abnormal starts around 24 weeks or so.

BabyFruit Ticker

• They don't do it prior to 27 weeks unless there is a concern to do it! I guess it can read wrong early on. Good luck I did mine at 29 weeks and passed just don't eat anything day of! Even if they tell you to at the dr office! Do not do it! Otherwise chances are you will have to go back for the 3 hour test which is no fun!!! Even crackers turn to sugar and will give false info!
  • Mine did it at 24/25 weeks for both pregnancies. And there was no prior concern.
  • I just got my script to have mine done! They told me as long as I have it done before my next appt on Dec 15! I'll be 28 weeks on tuesday.
  • Mine will be on December 15 at 29 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first was @27wks this pregnancy was 28. @Jene22‌ I ate a cheeseburger as I was walking in to do the test and I passed the 1 hour
  • Jene22 said:
    They don't do it prior to 27 weeks unless there is a concern to do it! I guess it can read wrong early on. Good luck I did mine at 29 weeks and passed just don't eat anything day of! Even if they tell you to at the dr office! Do not do it! Otherwise chances are you will have to go back for the 3 hour test which is no fun!!! Even crackers turn to sugar and will give false info!
    Yeah this is incorrect information. 1) As @floxslaw said, many offices do things differently, it's really not that standard. If your doc tells you to fast, then fast. But otherwise, eat normally. 2) I passed and had yogurt, almonds, an egg, toast with avocado....all sorts of shit that day. Your body should be able to process the sugar. That's the point of the test. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank y'all so much! I'm feeling better about it! Some of the women at the office told me I couldn't do it past 28 weeks and others said I could so I just wanted to see what y'all thought about it! :)
  • I did mine prior to 27 weeks and there was no concern. I ate almonds on the way to the test, had eaten breakfast that morning and was fine.
    You had one job:

• I had mine done at a little over 28 weeks. I ate a eggs and toast for breakfast about 2 hours before the test and mine was fine. My doctor's office said to eat like normal. As PP mentioned, the test is to verify your body breaks down sugar as it should and is not hanging out in your blood stream, so fasting doesn't make sense if you want an accurate result.

My theory for the reason behind a third trimester test is because that's when the baby does the most growing. But don't quote me on that.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Im doing mine at 29 weeks. No biggie. :)
  • If your OB is ok with it at 29 weeks, there's nothing wrong with that. Just go with it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"