Two Under 2
Options

2 under 1 - Irish twins!

Hello!

I'm wondering on personal experiences and thoughts of having 2 under 1.

Our son, Jack, was born 2/6/2014 and now we just found out baby #2 is due 2/2/2015. We are so excited! But I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated! :) Thanks!

Re: 2 under 1 - Irish twins!

• Options
    LC122LC122 member
    Congratulations
    Take care of yourself - short spacing between pregnancies can put you at risk, so make sure you are taking care of your body.
    Invest in babywearing, you will need all the free hands you can get.
  • Options
    We missed Irish twins by a month. Our two are 13m1d apart, but it's similar enough spacing. Honestly, we love it! The thing that helps most in our household is routines. Because our kids know what to expect of their days, they (typically) are fairly easy to handle.

Now that they are almost one and two, they are awesome friends and play together a good portion of the day. Because of that, I actually think I've got it easier than my sister who just has a DS the age of my DD.

We've been trying for a third for a few months now because we love the close spacing so much. Congrats on your new pregnancy!
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bruschbrusch member
    Thank you!!! We started trying right after DS made his appearance. Friends and family thought we were crazy! They do not yet know about our little secret :) One of our main reasons for doing so, was so they can be interested in the same things at the same time and be good friends. So, it's wonderful to hear that is how yours worked out! :) We hope to have lots of babies! At first, were you able to get much rest? It's nerve racking to think my DS could be running around while I'm busy with baby #2. Did you use a playpen a lot? I'm currently looking into baby gates and other baby proofing items!
  • Options
    To answer your questions, I've always gotten plenty of rest. DH was home for the first two weeks of 2u2. Both kids have always been great at sleeping at night (with several feedings as babies). I just coslept with DS (not the original plan) for the first few months after he woke for his first feeding. By the time DS was a few months old, I had them getting the same afternoon nap so that I could have a break if needed. This is still my sanity break 10 months in. :)

For baby proofing, I never used a playpen. I actually gave DD almost full access to DS as per advice on this board. She has (almost) always been really gently with DS. I have so many adorable pictures of her dragging her toys to his blanket to play when he was tiny or wiping his face with a burp cloth if needed. I love that they had a relationship from day one.

I do have one baby gate. I put it on the bathroom door in the morning if I need to shower and keep an ear out for them. I also make "baby jail" by putting it on the nursery door if I need to do some task in the kitchen without them underfoot. (Their room is off the kitchen.) I haven't done that for at least a month now though. I will say though that my house is extremely baby proofed since we have 2u2 and plan on having more babies for the next few years. That just made more sense to me that always trying to contain children. :)
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    I'm 6 weeks into having 2 13 months apart, and, honestly, it has sucked so far. DD2 is a terrible sleeper, whereas DD1 was an awesome sleeper. I've been exhausted and in survival mode so far. But, it's temporary, I know.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    11 months, 1 day, 1 week apart.
    My youngest will be a month old tomorrow. I looooove it. Even if it is tiring but I was blessed with heavy sleepers. ;)

• Options

I'm in the same boat! Glad to know we aren't the only crazy ones!  I'm still full of emotions. Our son was born 12/31/13 and our due date with this LO is 12/16/14.

Congrats! Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months to you!! 

• Options
    smerkasmerka member
    My Irish twins are three and four now. It has been a wild ride. We are in a groove now, but it is a little tougher for us since DS1 was recently diagnosed with autism. The first two years of motherhood were a total blur, so my advice is to try and enjoy it. Babyproofing is key. Also my parents gave me the best gift ever in the form of a mothers helper for the first couple months of 2u1. She came for a couple hours and allowed me to get out of the house alone, help with DS1 while I fed DS2, did some very light cleaning, etc. good luck ladies! And welcome to the club.
  • Options
    bruschbrusch member
    @bookworm982‌ Thank you for all the words of wisdom! :) I truly appreciate everything you've said. It's helped to make me feel more comfortable.
    @JmeJme‌ I'm sorry to hear that it's been a rough ride so far! Hopefully it starts getting better for you soon!
    @equestrianmom‌ That is great to hear! DS is a very heavy sleeper, we hope it stays that way! :)
    @JennaRaek‌ Congrats on your pregnancy! I feel so much better knowing we are not the only crazies as well! Haha :) My last pregnancy went really well and I had minimal symptoms, I hope this one is as easy!
    @smerka‌ Thank you!!! I think a mother's helper would be the best gift we could receive after LO#2 arrives. What a great thing for you to have! Best wishes to you and may the road that lies ahead be smooth for you and your family!
  • Options
    I'm due In August with DD3 and DD2 will be 1 July 5. A little nervous how it's all going to work out. I'm also in my third semester of Nursing school, should have DD3 in between semesters and go straight back. DD2 is an amazing sleeper but is very clingy sometimes. I do have an almost 8 yo DD1 thats such a great help! I'm sure it's going to be rough for a while but we can do it!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat! I had my DS 2/25/14, and I'm due 2/26/15 with our second. I also have a SS who is 2/27. I'm going to be so poor in February!
    BabyFetus Ticker

February 2014 Moms Siggy Challenge... Turkeys

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the irish twin boat as well. # 4 is due on 07/17/14 and #3 turns 1 that day. I know I'm going to be relying heavily on my two eldest 4 and 8 (turns 9, 7/23) because their little brother adores them. I guess I sort of get the best of both worlds having my two girls so far apart and my boy so close to the youngest sister. I'm just glad we are no longer breast feeding my son, that would have been more difficult.
  • Options
    My boys were born 1 week shy of a year (to the day!) Take advantage of any and all help offered to you. Your body may struggle more in the second pg. (I had sciatica issues starting at 12w the second time and braxton hicks from 19w) try and rest as much as you can. 

Honestly, just take everything one day at a time once #2 gets here. You will have good days and bad days. The first 6 ish months were hard, but now (at almost 1 and almost 2) they play together, and you can just see the love they have for one another. It is exhausting, but you can do it!
    imageimage
  • Options
    raworrawor member
    My babies are both 3 right now, my oldest will be 4 aug 9th. They are a handful, I will not lie. They keep me on my toes but i love every minute of it. Also I everything for my second baby when he was born, they're both boys so he was able to wear his clothes. I'm due February with baby #3 and I think this is when it gets crazy. My husband believes the new baby will mellow out our crazy boys. Haha I just laugh and laugh.
  • Options
    mypregoluvmypregoluv member
    edited July 2014
    Same here my DD was born 7/28/13 and due date was 8/6/13 and now due date is the 8/6/14 with DS and Dr. Says any day now. I know I'm in for a crazy ride just got to buckle up and get pass the 1st year.. well at least that's what I keep telling myself
  • Options
    Wow! I'm so glad for this post! I'll be in the club any day now. Reading these posts have helped ease my mind.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    I am in the same boat!  29 weeks pregnant with baby #2, scheduled C-Section is 9/27...Lily our daughter, was born on September 6, 2013!  I am in for quite the ride...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ours are 12m3w apart - youngest is about 4m old now. Honestly I find it totally manageable, even with my youngest being colicky until recently. At 12m - 13m, a walk down the street would tire my older child out, so no fancy activity schedule juggling was needed to keep her happy. (If she'd been 3 or 4, I couldn't get away with that.) Plus she was never ever jealous - the baby was like a special toy we made just for her! I could easily entertain her with books while the baby nursed. I'm not saying there won't be days where everyone is crying and you can't keep up, but for me they were the exception not the rule. There are so many pluses to having them close in age, if you can build up the patience reserves you'll need to get through it. Good luck!

Ps, I thought the pregancy part was worse than the new-baby part, for whatever that's worth...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like I'm doing something wrong, since everyone else seems to think this is so easy, and it's just so hard for us still.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    TexasGirl81TexasGirl81 member
    edited July 2014
    For those who already have their Irish twins, were you feeling guilty? It's sounds silly but I feel like I'm leaving my little Lili behind and starting a new life with a new baby.

She's so little now, she's no longer going to get all of my attention. I just feel terrible. Am I alone here? Did or is anyone else going through this? DS is due at any moment now. I'm going to miss her while I'm in the hosp.

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    @TexasGirl81‌ I don't have (and won't have) Irish twins but even with my bigger age spans I felt that way. They all are so young they don't remember a time without their siblings and I love seeing them together. Your love won't be divided amongst them... It will grow like the Grinch's heart ;)

I rarely leave my kids for a couple hours so my biggest dread is the 48 hours in in the hospital. But I know my husband is more than capable of not killing them :P
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Options

How did you get past the judgement/negative opinions (if you faced any) regarding having two under one?  I just had DD2 7.5 weeks ago and we have discussed starting trying for our last anytime now.  Right now we aren't really trying but we aren't preventing either.  At my postpartum appointment the nurse just about shat herself when I declined birth control.  I ended up lying and said we would just be using condoms till we were ready.  She was like "oh thank God...it's too soon...give it some time."  um...thanks for your opinion?  My mom also thought we were insane when she said we needed a boy now and I semi-jokingly replied "I know! We're trying!" 

Just ignore it I suppose?   Are there health risks in having them so close together?  Besides a rougher pregnancy as mentioned already?   After my nurses comment I was too nervous to ask my
    doctor about it. 

@mtgrizgirl‌
    I guess for the most part they just sound concerned for your well being. I would just say yes ignore the comments. It's like baby advice that you really don't want, just ignore it.

I just got through having my "2 under 1". The whole time (mostly strangers) throughout my pregnancy peoples jaws dropped. They just couldn't believe it. It was actually pretty funny. The second one wasn't planned but we have him now and we are so happy! Just do what you and your family feel is right, and what you want to do. Try and bring it up to your doc at least to get the clear. Was this pregnancy an easy one?

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    How did you get past the judgement/negative opinions (if you faced any) regarding having two under one?  I just had DD2 7.5 weeks ago and we have discussed starting trying for our last anytime now.  Right now we aren't really trying but we aren't preventing either.  At my postpartum appointment the nurse just about shat herself when I declined birth control.  I ended up lying and said we would just be using condoms till we were ready.  She was like "oh thank God...it's too soon...give it some time."  um...thanks for your opinion?  My mom also thought we were insane when she said we needed a boy now and I semi-jokingly replied "I know! We're trying!" 

Just ignore it I suppose?   Are there health risks in having them so close together?  Besides a rougher pregnancy as mentioned already?   After my nurses comment I was too nervous to ask my doctor about it. 

I didn't receive too many judgmental comments. Just a lot of "WOW"s! "You're going to be really busy!" Yeah, no shit. This little one wasn't exactly planned. We weren't preventing/weren't trying. We wanted our babes close together but had no idea it would happen SO fast. I'm 22 weeks along and I think some people are afraid to ask if I'm pregnant because it sort of looks like I didn't lose any of the baby weight from my first. (which I did) Haha. He'll be a year old on 12/31. We'll have 2 babies having their first Christmas together. Which gives me a lot of anxiety but also makes me so happy!

Our OB and midwife told us that I was at a higher risk for pre-term labor so I'd be monitored more when I hit 30 weeks or so. Because my stomach muscles didn't get to heal at all I'm having more back pain. And they said the baby might just be a little smaller than average. At our 20 scan little girl was measuring a few days a head and everything looks great so far.

Good luck to you! It's your family. Try not to let anyone else's opinions bother you. Do what makes you and your family happy! :)   

• Options
    I am really excited to have true Irish twins... both my boys will have been born in 2014  (Feb and Dec).  Although I think people think I am lying, this was completely planned for us.  I will say, this second pregnancy was easier at the beginning (less sickness) but my body is wearing out much faster with the second.  I still have about four weeks to go and my back feels like it is breaking by 4:00pm every day.  I need extra rest with this one.  Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"