3rd Trimester

Breastfeeding support if your insurance company doesn't cover it

Hey everyone,

So, I'm in my 31st week of pregnancy and I would really like to breastfeed my baby.  My husband and I just attended a breastfeeding class at our hospital and were informed that under the ACA, breast pumps and lactation consultants should be covered by insurance companies.  We were really happy to hear this news but then I called my insurance company and learned that my particular plan had gotten some type of special exemption from this requirement, so we don't have any coverage for breast pumps or lactation consultants at all.

At the end of the day, I guess a basic breast pump isn't that expensive, so I can just suck up the cost.  Hopefully the baby will just be a breastfeeding natural and we won't even need a lactation consultant.  However, if we have difficulties, I do want the option of seeing a lactation consultant for extra support.  Does anyone have any advice on affordable ways to get this support if your insurance doesn't cover it?

A bit of venting: I have a health plan for City of New York employees, and when I called my insurance company to inquire about coverage, they informed me that this city plan had been grandfathered in so it wouldn't have to follow these particular ACA requirements to provide breastfeeding equipment or support.  It just makes me really mad at the hypocrisy considering that the city government has really pushed to shame mothers who don't breastfeed - requiring that baby formula be kept under lock and key as if it were some type of poison - while refusing to provide even basic breastfeeding support for its own employees.  But I digress...

Re: Breastfeeding support if your insurance company doesn't cover it

• That does suck. When I had my first pumps weren't covered so we bought it. I don't think manual ones are too bad.

I breastfed both of my LOs and never saw a lactation consultant either time. I was very lucky to have any issues. While in the hospital the nurses were great at helping with latching and troubleshooting. I would inquire at the out of pocket costs of one beforehand to just be prepared. Good luck!
  • My hospital has a lactation consultant that sees each woman before she goes home. I would check there first, the consultant probably has a good idea of community resources
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I was excited to only to find out mine pays 28.00 only, which would be fine if I wasn't working as you can get a manual one pretty cheap. I will need a double one because I am working full time. With my first one this wasn't an option so I bought a single electric at wal-mart and it wasn't too bad price wise and it did the job. 
  • I have an extra, nib pump I can sell you. It's a Medela PISA. I ended up using a hospital grade rental and then my SIL's old pump. And LCs are generally not super expensive if you need to pay out of pocket for a consultation. But that totally sucks about your insurance!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that your situation sucks, but don't let that deter you from BF if it's something you want to do!

The nurses where I delivered were just as helpful with nursing advice as the lactation consultants that were on hand. Make the most of your time in the hospital and have them observe you nursing so they can offer guidance. Also, my LO's pediatrician has been really helpful with offering BF advice at LO's check-ups; when researching pediatricians, I made sure to find one that is very supportive of BF. 

My insurance company covered a double electric pump, but honestly, I rarely use it. I bought the Medela Harmony manual pump on Amazon for less than thirty bucks and like it much better. If you're returning to work outside of the home and intend to BF,  you will probably want a double electric. If you are staying home or working part time and will only pump on occasion, a manual may do the trick for you just like it has for me. Good luck to you! :)
  • You can often find gently used breast pumps at a fraction of the cost. Then just replace the tubes. The biggest part of the cost is the machine, and it never comes in contact with the milk. I have seen them all over craigslist and at maternity consignment stores.

Go to your local baby boutiques and ask about breast feeding support groups or lactation consultants. Where we live they are not at all expensive so I haven't even checked insurance coverage. Like you said, hopefully (likely) you won't need it, but it's better to know your resources in advance.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • AngeldcfAngeldcf member
    edited November 2014

Once again, the fine print of the ACA is highlighted and people aren't happy ("keep your plan, keep your doc, pricing won't change much- ha!")

While disappointing, check with your hospital.  Ours offered lactation support (free phone calls & reduced price visits) after discharge.  Your local La Leche League is another great resource.  I talked to other moms, posted here, read the library books & watched videos.

ETA: kellymom.com is a GREAT resource too

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• (Lurking from 1st tri)

When you're looking for a pediatrician, make sure you ask about how supportive they are of breastfeeding. One of the NPs at my peds office is an Intl board certified lactation consultant, and after DS was born I had a few appts with her. Not sure how common this is, but it was invaluable for me.

I also second The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding rec.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"