August 2014 Moms
Options

BF mom's with colds

Started yesterday with a massive head cold, sore throat, and losing my voice. Pseudoephedrine not working. Any suggestions?

Re: BF mom's with colds

• Options
    cdsenocdseno member
    edited November 2014
    I have the same exact thing right now!  I have been taking Advil Congestion Relief for it and it does ok.  It has Ibuporfen and Phenylephrine instead of Pseudoephedrine.  I try to take a nice hot, steamy shower to help with congestion and we have humidifiers running.  I lost my voice last nigh and my LO looks at me like I am crazy when I talk to him because I squawk at him.

Here is a list of recommendations from Kellymom:

ETA: Link wouldn't work
  • Options
    I also use a diffuser and the oil "breathe" from a company called doterra, found them on Amazon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mindfulmama14mindfulmama14 member
    edited November 2014
    My sore throat started last night and I've been gargling warm salt water. I also make hot ginger/honey/lemon tea from scratch. I heard decongestants can decrease milk supply. I'm not sure how accurate that is.
    My questions are, any tips on keeping baby from getting sick? Also any suggestions on two sick parents managing 2 sick kids? I'm one overwhelmed mama!!
  • Options
    Kellymom says that Pseudoephedrine can decrease milk supply if you are already struggling. I've never had a problem after taking anything. For me, the meds are worth it because I can't be a functioning parent with a bad headache. But tea with honey and lemon is soothing.
  • Options
    I have the humidifier running. I was told pseudoephedrine was okay but antihistamines weren't bc they would dry up milk supply. Warm salt water and tea are great ideas. I'll have to go with the water for now and get tea tomorrow. LO has been looking at me funny too bc I can hardly speak. We also have LOs baptism tomorrow; so glad my mom offered to host the lunch after. I couldn't imagine having everyone at my house right now. Hope anyone else feeling sick gets better soon.
  • Options
    I sat in the bathroom hot water blasting in the shower so i could inhale the steam (DH understands...i need to kick the cold asap or it becomes bronchitis, sinus infections, ear infections ect). I tried to rest as much as possible and kept fluids up. When i needed relief i took some tylenol.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Majority of cold meds will not harm the baby, just the ones that dry up the mucous will also affect your supply.  Thats why some mamas take sudafed when they are done bf to dry up. Things with Menthol and aspirin are not to be taken. If you are insanely miserable, I would take something and drink lots of water and possibly power pump to not affect supply.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yuck- I had that nasty cold last week. LO managed not to get it. BF antibodies are amazing.

I took no medication and powered through it. However I made the lemon/honey/ginger tea syrup and it really made a difference. I highly recommend trying it.
  • Options
    For sore throats try warm water,apple cider vinegar, & honey
  • Options
    It will ruin your breath for at least a day, but sucking on garlic cloves really helps with a sore throat.
  • Options
    lmanford1 said:

I also use a diffuser and the oil "breathe" from a company called doterra, found them on Amazon!

I second this (although I wouldn't order from Amazon because anyone can sell anything on amazon and oils sold on there are sometimes tampered with ... Basically replacing most if the essential oil with olive oil or coconut oil. I would find a doterra or Young Living consultant). Also hot water with honey, lemon, and apple cider vinegar as others have suggested
  • Options
    So the pseudoephedrine made me a very cranky b and I only got 3 hours of broken sleep last night. Pharmacist said to try robotussin cf; I think it's working a little better. Nursing LO now then headed to the store to get honey and Apple cider vinegar; just going to the corner store so no fresh produce. How much honey & cider in 1 glass of water?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"