Trying to Get Pregnant

Ovulation Help

Hi Ladies, I am ttc. This is my 2nd cycle. So I decided to use opks this time. I got 7 days of positive tests followed by a negative test (today) Yes, I am positive they were positive. Test line always MUCH darker than the control line.

I am getting the pinch I usually get during ovulation. I am just trying to figure out if we are too late. Too many scheduling conflicts and some stage fright :/ caused us to not BD at all during ovulation. Just trying to figure out if we should attempt on more bd tonight or if its a lost cause. 

I've read so much conflicting information that I'm not sure what to believe!!! 

Thanks so much. 

Re: Ovulation Help

• Unfortunately we have no way of knowing if you have already ovulated or not. There are two ways to pin point ovulation, ultrasound and temping. Temping will only allow you to see after you already ovulated, which is confirmed by three consecutive elevated temps.
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Thanks PismoDuo. I am trying not to go overboard with all the charting and testing as this is only our 2nd month trying. My husband is not a huge fan of all the scheduled bd-ing and I feel like he would be very overwhelmed with me also charting my temps. I might just have to go for it though and not make a big deal out of it! 
  • Loading the player...
  • If in doubt, hump it out!

But if you've already ovulated, it's probably too late this cycle - the egg only lives 12-24 hours after ovulation and the sperm need time to get on up there. But if they're fast swimmers then you're still in with a chance so what have you got to lose?!

Are you temping? That is the only way to confirm ovulation and after a few months you'll be able to pinpoint ovulation much better. Normally you ovulate 12-36 hours after your first positive OPK so you may have ovulated days ago...or your body may have been gearing up to ovulate over the past week.

Good luck.
    Sept 2015 January Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance

Me: 29 - DH: 37
    BFP: 12/21/2014 - EDD: 09/01/2015

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks so much ladies!!!! I am going to just have to suck it up and temp. Do I need to get a special thermometer? I will have to go find the newbie post also! 
  • Do I need to get a special thermometer?  

You need a thermometer which reads to 1/100th of a degree (ie 97.63). If you go to the family planning section of your drugstore you should find one there, otherwise search for a basal thermometer online. Should be around $10?

BabyFetus Ticker

• I can understand not wanting to temp if YH is having stage fright but it might take you longer to get pregnant which can also be stressful. I guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils. If you don't temp, I would at least check your cervical fluid. He doesn't have to know about it and it might help you get a better idea of when you ovulate provided you have a typical cm pattern. You can go to Fertility Friend to learn about checking cm.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• 1. You can say sex here

2. OPK's don't tell you when you ovulated - that can only be confirmed by temping

3. If stage fright is an issue, don't make it an "issue".. Bang it out all month and you won't have to worry about it feeling planned. Of course you want to make sure you're hitting your fertile window, but if you're having sex regularly (instead of just during your FW) then it's less likely to be a problem.

4. I find that temping takes a lot of stress out of the equation for me. Before I began, I thought that it would be an added stress but that wasn't the case at all! 

Welcome and good luck!
  • FYI, you can temp without boring your DH with the details.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• He's a pretty smart guy. He's probably going to catch on that I'm taking my temp every morning! He's more of a "let it happen when it happens" kind of person, so I just don't want to put added stress on him :)  
  • Yep I get it! Temping is the answer :) 
  • KatzKiss said:
    Whenever someone writes BD, I like to replace it in my head with balls deep or bang dick. It just makes me feel more comfortable.
    this. definitely.
  • He's a pretty smart guy. He's probably going to catch on that I'm taking my temp every morning! He's more of a "let it happen when it happens" kind of person, so I just don't want to put added stress on him :)  

My DH is the same, 'relax, it'll happen when it happens' (Urgh, so annoying) but now every few days when he hears the beep, he asks 'how's your temperature looking?'. It's quite cute. Until I show him my chart, then his eyes glaze over.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks PismoDuo. I am trying not to go overboard with all the charting and testing as this is only our 2nd month trying. My husband is not a huge fan of all the scheduled bd-ing and I feel like he would be very overwhelmed with me also charting my temps. I might just have to go for it though and not make a big deal out of it! 
    This is confusing to me. Why would your husband have feelings one way or another about you charting your temperature? It's not like you'd be making him wake up at the same time every morning to take your temperature for you. This is the one part of the TTC process that my husband DOESN'T have to be involved in.
    Me: 30  DH: 45
    Married: 7/19/2014
    TTC #1 since 8/2014
    BFP 1/10/15 EDD 9/22/15

BabyFruit Ticker
    Sept. '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance
  • When I took that Pre-Cana class with my ex husband the couple giving it talked about how they monitored her fertility in order to TTC or avoid pregnancy, whichever was there plan at the time. They had said that the communication it caused actually brought them closer as a couple. So, I really doubt that it would cause a disagreement. Just because you want to be aware of what is going on with your body doesn't mean you are pushing the issue. If he gives you a hard time tell him you need to monitor for drinking purposes. Also, if he's giving you a hard time about knowing more about your body then he's being a dick and deserves some sort of retribution. This could also be an indication that perhaps he is getting cold feet and you two need a "come to Jesus" meeting so you're on the same page. Hope he stays cool about it. I've been in your shoes more often than I'd like to admit with men not being able to make up their minds. Seriously, if it weren't for women I swear the human race would have died out ages ago.

my husband too, just keep the specifics to yourself and when it's time, put on a little something sexy and get to it! ;] he may feel less stage fright if you make him think it's just random sex.

Married: July 7th 2013
    Me:24  DH:25
    TTC #2
    TTC- December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie- Harry Potter =]
    TTCimage
  • SoyLoca said:
    My DH is the same, 'relax, it'll happen when it happens' (Urgh, so annoying) but now every few days when he hears the beep, he asks 'how's your temperature looking?'. It's quite cute. Until I show him my chart, then his eyes glaze over.
    My husband was the same way. He didn't understand why I needed to chart my temps, use FF, or be on TB in the beginning. His favorite phrase for a while was "People have been having babies for forever, why do you need all these extra things? Why is it so complicated?" Now he also occasionally asks how my temps are. He doesn't get the full concept, and I don't go into details with him, but he's come around and is happy that I have peace of mind and this great community to turn to.
    Me: 29 ~ DH: 27
    Married: 04/25/14
    TTC #1 Since September 2014
    BFP 12.13.14 -- EDD 08.28.15

***Siggy Warning***

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"