June 2015 Moms

Baby Wearing (suggestions please!)

STM here and I have/used a Moby wrap for ds. I liked it but it was a bit of a hassle to wrap and unwrap every time I got in and out of the car, etc.

My Moby was the only thing I ever tried in the baby wearing department. I think I may have another type of sling that someone gave me but it was really girly so I never used it. (I'm gonna dig it out of the attic and try it out with lo #2 though)

Any suggestions for carriers that are a little easier than a wrap but not super expensive? Thanks!

Re: Baby Wearing (suggestions please!)

• I loved my solar veil mei tai ... I also own a ring sling.. With the same fabric.
  • BTW I ordered mine on etsy...
  • Loading the player...
  • I loved the K'tan when he was little and I have an Ergo for later on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!

No experience with it, but I am getting a k'tan this time as it seems more like what I want than what I had.
  • Sooooo many good ones! Do you have a babywearing group near you? If you are not sure I may be able to help you find out. Anyway, if you do that's a great place to start. You can try on different carriers/wraps and see what you like or don't like.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @willowprincess‌ I didn't even know that was a thing! I will definitely look into it! Thank you!
  • Check out thebabywearer.com for help finding a group. They have a forum specifically for finding groups local to you.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love my Ergo. They are a little pricy but we got lots of use out of it. Keep an eye out for target sales--occasionally they have really good deals on them. Also could always buy one secondhand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also paxbaby.com will do "rentals" for you to try out.

I love love love adore my Mei Tai.  (I have a Babyhawk and it's what I get all the expecting moms I know).  We could use it from birth, it is insanely easy to put on (even DH is jealous but won't wear it because he thinks my design is too girly) and does a fantastic high back carry.  We still use  it with my 3 year old.

My biggest complaint about the Ergo, which we also have and DH uses is that the back carry puts the kid's head smack in the middle of your back, which isn't terribly enjoyable for them.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also paxbaby.com will do "rentals" for you to try out.

I love love love adore my Mei Tai.  (I have a Babyhawk and it's what I get all the expecting moms I know).  We could use it from birth, it is insanely easy to put on (even DH is jealous but won't wear it because he thinks my design is too girly) and does a fantastic high back carry.  We still use  it with my 3 year old.

My biggest complaint about the Ergo, which we also have and DH uses is that the back carry puts the kid's head smack in the middle of your back, which isn't terribly enjoyable for them.

Try raising the waist belt. This will place the baby higher.
  • Try raising the waist belt. This will place the baby higher.
    I'm pretty sure you can't do a high back carry in an Ergo, because of the arm strap lengths.  It's not a matter of where the waist is.  Even with the waist under the breast, the arm straps wouldn't cinch in enough for the head to be above the shoulder.  Am I totally off-base?  We've tried just about everything and my kid has a pretty long torso. 

NonErgo:

Ergo:
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Both my boys lived in the ergo! It is still my 8 month olds happy place, when he's freaking out and nothing else works the ergo always does. I bought mine about 5years ago and it's still in great condition. During the newborn stage I used it probably 4 hours a day sometimes more if we were out and about. I hardly used a stroller. I found it super quick and easy to get baby in and out which I liked. We still use it now at 8 months for back carries. My only issue now is that the lower strap is getting uncomfortable with my growing belly so I'm using my woven wrap more because I can tie it higher over my belly. The woven wrap is nice to have but my ergo definetly got more use. I also have a ring sling which again is nice but not as useful in all situations. It's good for maybe a quick hip carry from the house to the car.
  • Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the info and suggestions. :)
  • Try raising the waist belt. This will place the baby higher.
    I'm pretty sure you can't do a high back carry in an Ergo, because of the arm strap lengths.  It's not a matter of where the waist is.  Even with the waist under the breast, the arm straps wouldn't cinch in enough for the head to be above the shoulder.  Am I totally off-base?  We've tried just about everything and my kid has a pretty long torso. 

NonErgo:

Ergo:
    Body type plays a big factor in it. My dh uses our ergo and with the way he is built, he can get the kids high enough. I tried it once (not a ssc fan anyway) and didn't like how low it was.
  • Love my Beco Gemini. It was great when DD was younger but got to the curious stage and needed to see everything because I could face her out as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Same here. I loved my k'tan for the early months and they are only about $50. I'm really excited to use it again. Eventually I got an ergo which I also love.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married J on 5.21.10
    G born on 9.30.12
  • I tried the k'tan and it just didn't work for me. My boobs and my baby were not comfortable! I was super bummed! Damn you gigantic boobs!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• I used the ergo early on with isaac. It worked fine when he was tiny, but long term I hated it and won't bother with it next time. Tough fit if you are petite or short waisted (can't cinch tight enou, hard on the back). Love my WCMT (wrap conversion mei tai... Mine was a custom I bght off the swap, it's petite with wrap straps. Loooove. Oscha roses <3 we also have a toddler tula that dh and I both happily use, mainly got it for Henry (3.5) for hikes but it's nice for quick ups and downs for Isaac now too. I'm planning to get a ring sling for new baby. I'm stalking the swap for a wrap conversion that strikes my fancy, or I'll get a Sakura chambray if I don't find one I like...

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I'm a woven wrap addict, but DH refuses to wrap and really likes our Tula. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ksimo6 said:

I tried the k'tan and it just didn't work for me. My boobs and my baby were not comfortable! I was super bummed! Damn you gigantic boobs!

I have double Ds that were even bigger while nursing and I didn't have a problem with the k'tan. But yes, damn you gigantic boobs! I hate mine.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married J on 5.21.10
    G born on 9.30.12
  • I used a maya sling when DS was an newborn. As he got older and moved around more 5-6 mos I didn't feel comfortable in the sling anymore. I switched to the Beco gemini.
    I plan on wearing this LO more than DS so I'm looking into other options as well... Maybe a Mei tai.
  • So do any of these work for plus sized people? Like legitimately plus size. I'm a 22/24. I think we're heading off to BRU this afternoon, so I might get a better idea but thought it was worth an ask.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Has anyone had the Beco Gemini? I've heard it's preferable even to the Ergo in a few ways, but all these Ergo posts are making me think twice!
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• So BRU had to bunch of the baby carriers out on display where you could take them down and try them on. The Ergo will indeed fit the plus size. Like I mentioned above, I wear a size 24 jean. I probably didn't need the waist strap pulled all the way out, put I was wearing a sweater so that added some bulk. I tried on the Ergo 360, but that's Velcro and just barely closed around my waist. I could tell that it would have been slightly more supportive, but would have ruined my clothes with all the exposed scratchy Velcro. Or worse, in the summer, rubbed my back raw.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• @adorebel. I have the Beco Gemini. I loved it! I really loved that I could face DD out (even if it was for a short time) when she got to a really curious stage. Overall I found the Beco to be easier to use and more comfortable than an ergo.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sugarkissed I'm with you. Must have all the wraps!
  • You guys are all mentioning awesome brands I keep seeing but then keep reading reviews of them not good in hot weather (Ergo with newborn insert, etc.) if we have a hot summer would you recommend the same brands?
  • finchfeeder80 Im not plus size but I can tell you DH (who was XXL at the time) could use the ergo. It was tight but he could. He also used the tula much more comfortably and successfully. 

Wraps will fit ANYONE! Totally custom and come in different sizes (partly body dependent but also based on how you want to use). The moby is a stretchy wrap for infants, it should definitely work.I didn't love wrapping personally but it is a great option. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• nicnnatesmomnicnnatesmom member
    edited December 2014
    I'm a Tula fan. It's a buckle carrier similar to the ergo. I've had the canvas ones and currently have the higher end wrap conversion one. The hubs and my two older DS love to carry my 15 month old DS in it. I also love my ring slings. It's my go to for quick ups and downs. You should totally join a babywearing group. They are awesome!!!

Edit to add I live in central Texas. The summers here are crazy hot. Still loved my Tula!
  • My DD loved the Ergo. It was also much easier on the back than other carriers.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sensitivesally‌ I totally know what you mean. I went crazy when I was pregnant with my DD and bought one of everything. I always felt like she was going to flip out of the sling and the Moby was like getting ready to be a ninja. The Ergo was simplest IMHO.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @adorebel. I have the Beco Gemini. I loved it! I really loved that I could face DD out (even if it was for a short time) when she got to a really curious stage. Overall I found the Beco to be easier to use and more comfortable than an ergo.
    Thanks! It's the one we've registered for, so I appreciate the positive feedback from your experience. 
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• For Babywearing International, you can find your local chapter here:
    https://www.babywearinginternational.org/about-bwi/chapters/

Seriously, go to a meeting and ask lots of questions. Our chapter has a huge lending library, and a great rental system. Before this one comes along, I will pay for a private consultation with one of their volunteers to help remind me of the finer points of newborn wearing and, hopefully, getting some help learning to tandem.

As for actual carriers, we started with a soft-structured carrier (Beco, Tula, Ergo are all examples) with an insert. That will for sure be too hot for a summer baby (the insert part), so we'll use a blanket under the bum (DH likes the SSC) until he/she is bigger. I've acquired a little library of my own (ring sling, mei tai, stretchy, various wovens), but maybe I'll pick up a hybrid this go around? At least for the first few months? I can already hear DH grumbling about another carrier in my collection ;) :P
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • janit368 said:

You guys are all mentioning awesome brands I keep seeing but then keep reading reviews of them not good in hot weather (Ergo with newborn insert, etc.) if we have a hot summer would you recommend the same brands?

The mei tai solar veil fabric is amazing for hot humid weather. ( in Louisiana over here )
  • I made my own "Moby" stretchy style wrap last time with a little bit of a lighter weight knit fabric and wore it all summer. It was fine for Atlanta heat. And I never took it off between trips. I'd tie it on at home, and then pop the baby in and out all day. Occasionally I'd untie and tighten and then re-tie.

This time I'm hoping to score a Kinderpack with a Coolknit panel. But the size I need (infant/plus) is crazy hard to get, apparently.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • veggiemoveggiemo member
    edited December 2014
    I've never tried any of these, but just the look of the wraps make me nervous, like a lot of room for error in how you wear them and looking like they aren't very supportive. Believe it or not though, this is the way my husband wants to go, so hopefully there's something that we can both be comfortable with!
    Someone posted this youtube video on the bump a long time ago. It's K'tan vs the Moby and it's pretty much what sold me on the K'tan. Just a fun watch if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThAv6JeVmA

Edited: Crap, how do I make it a link?

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married J on 5.21.10
    G born on 9.30.12
  • Love that video..definitely sold me on the k'tan. Love the idea of the new ergo 360 but all the reviews said the Velcro is god awful, which is keeping me away.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • NoeliaVNoeliaV member
    edited December 2014
    Love that video..definitely sold me on the k'tan. Love the idea of the new ergo 360 but all the reviews said the Velcro is god awful, which is keeping me away.
    Generally speaking:
    1) babies tend to go through a "facing out" preference phase, but then prefer to face in again. Less stimulation, plus boobs ;) To me, the 360 has a limited use window.
    2) some babies (my DD for example) never want to face out. Even now, if she wants "ups" she wants to be snuggled in away from others.

Oh and the way a baby's body fits against yours when facing out is way less comfortable (for you) than when he/she is facing in. Facing in better distributes the weight because of the natural curve of baby's body.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"