Trying to Get Pregnant

Opinions on a Second Opinion

Since my misciarrage in March, I have had eight cycles with luteal phases between 5 and 10 days. Six of those eight we were TTC. I'm 39 so I qualify for the old lady six month rule. When I asked my gynocologist about it at my annual last month, she said that it was just my cycle still readjusting and to wait until March before moving forward with any testing. When I asked her about the possibility of low progesterone she said that she doubted that was the issue and that low progesterone is much more rare than people make it out to be. My thyroid and FSH are normal. If you were in my position, would you get a second opinion from another gynocologist or maybe just go straight to an RE? I've been happy with her so far, but this appointment felt very rushed. I don't even know if she took the time to look at my age.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Little O- 2/25/12
BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

Re: Opinions on a Second Opinion

• Honestly I would just go to an RE. I don't see the point in wasting time - yes, it's possible that your cycles are still adjusting, but that may be something an RE can actually help you with. 
    Anniversary
    Me: 27 | DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 10/14
  • I second what @juliayadda‌ said. If it were me I'd probably see an RE, if only to be on the safe side.
    Me: 29 ~ DH: 27
    Married: 04/25/14
    TTC #1 Since September 2014
    BFP 12.13.14 -- EDD 08.28.15

***Siggy Warning***

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Straight to the RE. It doesn't sound like your OBGYN is taking your concerns as seriously as she should be, plus you've been trying for a while now, why not take it straight to the top?
  • I would absolutely seek out a second opinion. I would push for a prescription for progesterone that you would start at 3dpo. Progesterone can't hurt you but it can surely help you lengthen your LP because 5-10 days is not ideal.

so many ((hugs))
  • KatzKiss said:
    Since my misciarrage in March, I have had eight cycles with luteal phases between 5 and 10 days. Six of those eight we were TTC. I'm 39 so I qualify for the old lady six month rule. When I asked my gynocologist about it at my annual last month, she said that it was just my cycle still readjusting and to wait until March before moving forward with any testing. When I asked her about the possibility of low progesterone she said that she doubted that was the issue and that low progesterone is much more rare than people make it out to be. My thyroid and FSH are normal. If you were in my position, would you get a second opinion from another gynocologist or maybe just go straight to an RE? I've been happy with her so far, but this appointment felt very rushed. I don't even know if she took the time to look at my age.
    I am getting the vibe you need to go to an RE. I don't understand her reasoning for waiting. At worst the RE will do tests and find out nothing is wrong.

I suppose this could be a waste of resources if nothing is abnormal, or maybe your doctor is just confident in your reproductive health, but if I was in your shoes I would go to an RE.

She did seem confident in my reproductive health. She said she would test in March, but I wouldn't need it because I'll be pregnant by then. Since then, I've done a lot more research on low progesterone and I have other symptoms in addition to the miscarriage and shorts luteal phases; slow rising post-o temps, headaches, low sex drive and I can't drop a pound. Even on Weight Watchers which has always worked for me until recently. I don't share her confidence at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Little O- 2/25/12
    BFP 2/28/14 MMC 14W2D D&C 5/07/14

• I agree with PP that a RE would probably be a good bet at this point. As PP said, even if it is your cycles adjusting, a RE can help with that. And you want someone who will consider all angles. ((hugs)) that you're dealing with this.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry your having to deal with this. I agree with PP's on going to see an RE now. It's good to get a second opinion and someone that can test what you're concerned about. 
  • KatzKiss said:
    I am almost in the same position as you except without the short LP and I have started seeing the RE.  If you can afford it or it is covered I would go.
    Me: 37                                               
    DH: 45
    BFP #1 3/19/14  EDD 11/29/14 MMC D&C 4/24/14
    BFP #2  12/4/14 Beta #1 218 at 12dpo Beta #2 1055 at 16dpo
    Saw heartbeat 12/29.  Please be a rainbow.
    imagerainbows

All welcome                                   

• I agree with the PP's. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Straight to the RE. You qualify on the 6-month rule alone.

Your OB might mean well, but this is not her specialty and you shouldn't do the testing with her anyway.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • I would also go to the RE. I hope they can give you more answers!

P.S. I'm on WW right now too :D

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • I would definitely go to an RE. I would do a consult and testing. I would trust your gut on this one! I know it can take a while for your cycles to normalize, but it has been long enough that I wouldn't have any qualms about calling.
  • Good luck!  I agree with all PP that you should go to an RE.  I typically follow the rule that if I'm not 100% confident, comfortable, or satisfied with what my doctor has suggested or told me, I do my own research or seek out another doctor for another opinion.  I think we sometimes have to take our health into our own hands.  
    Me: 33
    Him: 35
    Together since 2005, Married: 10/8/11
    TTC #1:  August 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"