September 2014 Moms

Common crap they say

What's the whole world telling you? Every time my LO makes a peep in public some stranger tells me he's hungry. Even when his last bottle is still sitting on the table. Know-it-allsies are everywhere.
Lilypie - (JLjB)

Re: Common crap they say

• Loading the player...
  • DH says she's always cold. But she runs hot like I do. MIL says she constantly needs changed. My grandparents and aunt says it's good for her lungs to let her cry.

No. No. No.
  • Why do people in public not understand that babies are tiny? Miles is 9 1/2 weeks and yesterday I handed him to my sister so I could run out to the car and swap car seat for carrier and I hear people laughing about how they thought he was a doll. Wtf people!?!? Yes, we are 3 grown women (my mom, 27yo sister and myself) carrying around a toy baby. 8-}
  • Any time my baby fusses apparently
    he is starving lol I can't stand it. I'm visiting family for thanksgiving and everyone was getting on me for not feeding him because it had not even been 2 hours since be last ate (he usually goes 2.5-3 hrs). I know my baby! He's allowed to fuss sometimes geez.
    I also get the "I think he's wet you should change him"
    So stupid
  • My grandmother doesn't think I should put a sweater blanket hat or anything on DS when we go out. Sorry but it's been in the teens and you live in the desert! And when we go indoors we take it all off him so he doesn't get hot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother. Drives me insane with DS. She tells me he's spoiled because I hold him too much apparently. I'm sorry do you have a video feed into my home?

And when we visit (which is weekly) she constantly tells me to go away so DS will look at her and not me. And then she gets all upset because "he doesn't know me." He's 13w old. He's not great at remember names yet (sarcastic comment). But she gets ADD with him and moves him around like crazy from one position to the next and she wonders why he fusses ... Oh and when he fusses she always thinks he has to burp ... Even though he hasn't eaten in like 2 hours.

Ugh end bitch rant about my mom. Haven't done that in a while. Feels good :D
  • My grandma thinks she knows everything about babies. And she has something to say about everything, the way I give DD a bottle, the type of pacifier she should use, her flat head, how she sleeps, how many layers she has on/doesn't have on, you name it she has made a comment.

But what gets me the most is her constant comments about my nephew (L), he is 16 months old and doesn't talk yet. My brother also didn't talk until he was much older and had to do speech therapy.

At Thanksgiving, before my brother got there, my grandma have my dad 3 packs of flash cards and told him to keep them at his house and when ever my nephew is there for my dad to spend at much time as possible going over the cards. My dad said, thank you and that he was sure L would love looking at them. And she pretty much yelled, no they are for him to learn how to talk, he doesn't talk yet and is going to end up having to do speech therapy just like his father.

I lost it at this point, having an early childhood degree this whole thing just makes me to made. Obviously they want him to talk, my brother and SIL aren't just sitting around not paying attention to him, not caring that he doesn't talk. But at the same time you can't make him talk! When he is ready he will, all of his beginning language skills are there, it is just about forming the words. And WHO CARES if he has to do speech therapy! There is no same in needing help!

Sorry that was so long and ranty, as you can tell my blood is still boiling!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My MIL always says "I'm a baby I have rights! Give me to grammy!" In this whiney high pitched voice whenever my son is crying. She did it with DD too. Guess what? You squealing while my kid is crying doesn't actually help the situation at all. Not to mention if I do hand him over and he doesn't immediately stop crying she just hands him back all annoyed that he did just magically feel better because she is holding him. He is probably crying because he pooped or is hungry but thanks for the help.
  • My mother. Drives me insane with DS. She tells me he's spoiled because I hold him too much apparently. I'm sorry do you have a video feed into my home?

And when we visit (which is weekly) she constantly tells me to go away so DS will look at her and not me. And then she gets all upset because "he doesn't know me." He's 13w old. He's not great at remember names yet (sarcastic comment). But she gets ADD with him and moves him around like crazy from one position to the next and she wonders why he fusses ... Oh and when he fusses she always thinks he has to burp ... Even though he hasn't eaten in like 2 hours.

Ugh end bitch rant about my mom. Haven't done that in a while. Feels good :D

Ugh the moving him constantly is something my MIL does. She's so excited to see him that she's constantly switching positions and then he fusses. I finally told her, just hold him and magically he stops.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• Alessia87Alessia87 member
    edited November 2014
    I hear it all from my mom... I'm not feeding her enough with breast milk (even though she's growing normally) she doesn't poop enough poor thing ( she is exclusively Breastfeedingand babies not pooping often is normal) she has gas..what did you eat. You need to put cereal in milk so she sleeps longer at night... She is sucking her fingers I told you to use pacifiers...I used to give you a bath everyday! And she gets mad when I yell at her back off.
    Edit for spelling
  • Every time DS cries my in laws asks if his tummy hurts or if he's sick. Same with DD ands she's two. There can't be any other reason. Oh and I'm oblivious to it, I can't see that they are sick or hurting.
  • DH's Aunt asked if we always hold LO when she sleeps or if we let her CIO. I couldn't tell if she was joking or not. I hope she was joking as she works with kids and has basically raised her grandkids.

• "Is he sleeping through the night?" I seriously got this from the guy who sold me my car last week. None of your damn business random stranger...

I also get "why is he crying?" ALL the time. Because he's a baby, dumbass.
  • MIL has wanted me to add cereal to his bottle since he was a week old -- she even called my BIL's wife and complained that I wouldn't do this and we'd have a much easier time if we would.  (For the record, I have a mild baby who hardly ever fusses or cries -- he is also healthy and gaining weight appropriately.)  They live half the country away, before we went to visit them I made sure my husband let her know that I did not need her parenting advice.  Their house (one day) was about 78 degrees inside; LO was hot and fussy.  She kept telling me he was hungry  I assured her this wasn't the case, that he was just hot.

No one else has really given me unsolicited advice about taking care of him.
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

• kvasquez14kvasquez14 member
    edited November 2014
    Unfortunately, I lost my Mom before my son was born, but I have an older sister who thinks she needs to tell me how to do everything! I'm suffering with PPD and she's one of those who thinks you can just "snap out of it". She constantly tells me I just have separation anxiety and that I need a "break" from my son and that I need to get used to being away from him so I can go back to work. Aggravates me so bad! At Thanksgiving I changed his diaper right before we got there and 15 minutes later when she was holding him she said he was wet and needed to be changed. When I told her he had just been changed she proceeded to grab the diaper bag and change him anyway. She also repeatedly points out his "flaws"-he has a flat spot on the back of his head and thinks my pedi is crazy for saying it is normal and to continue putting him on his back for sleep, he can be a noisy breather at times and she's sure he has some respiratory problem...the list goes on and on. And if she tells me that I need to let my house go and sleep when he sleeps one more time I might punch her in the throat!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My aunts got the Dr. Sears book and suddenly they think they're baby experts.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • I was visiting with my sister a few years ago and all she could do was criticize all of my baby gear and tell me how everything that she had for her son was better. Everything I had was wrong from the pacifier to the stroller. I had done all my research and picked out what I liked the best and what worked for us. I told her thank you for your help, but I know what works for DH and I, THANKS! She didn't say anything after that, until DD was born. Then she was criticizing how I was re-using DS's old stuff for her. I just told her that it worked before, why wouldn't it now? I replaced what needed to be replaced, but his car seat is still within the safety guidelines. It's still good. I don't have the money to get a new one right now. Sorry not sorry sister. We are actually trying to save our money
  • I have another one. Why do people have to butt in on the conversation that you are having about your child? I was talking to another new mom at work about breastfeeding & I told her that K had eaten 2 or 3 four oz bottles that morning. All in the span of about four hours. Thus lady comes up, freaking out, yelling at me that you can't feed a baby that much. I said that its breast milk and you don't even know what we are even talking about, so why don't you mind your own business. I don't go putting myself your conversations.why are you putting yourself into mine?
  • I get asked about DS sleeping through the night all the time. Um he's a baby no he's not sleeping through the night. Also anytime he cries people telling me he's hungry, no he's probably tired or his stomach hurts or he's just crying because he's a baby and that's his main way to communicate.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My favorite are the "Oh he's a big ol' boy!"

No - he's in the 50th percentile contrary to your belief.

Also my MIL has already started backseat parenting (which we knew was going to happen). Over Thanksgiving DH was bouncing our LO to calm down and when DH does it it's almost like a quick vibrating motion more than bouncing - anyway LO loves it - almost to the point that DH is the only one who can calm a colic fit. Anyway, know-it-all MIL comes in a says (even though LO had stopped crying at this point) "Dad you're doing that too hard - it's too fast." No. Baby likes it - and he has stopped crying hasn' he? My MIL would love nothing more than for myDH to be a blathering idiot over this child, so she can save the day, but much to her dismay, DH has turned out to be really good at this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"