September 2014 Moms

Ugly jewelry

So this has little to do with babies but if you'll allow me I've got some curiosity to explore

What so you do if/ when you receive jewelry that's not your taste from DH or someone else?

My DH is the worst gift giver. Sometimes I wonder if he's ever met me before. He tends to go for jewelry thinking that's automatically a safe choice. I have a growing collection of heart shaped necklaces from Jared. I was daydreaming earlier about going in there and telling then to quit selling him crap, nevermind what a bitchy psychopath I'd look like. The point anyway is we can't really afford it and it's stacking up. Do I keep on pretending? Or find a subtle way to tell him?
Lilypie - (JLjB)

Re: Ugly jewelry

• My DH is 50/50 with the gift giving. Sometimes he really has good taste and I end up with something I really wanted OR its a complete miss.

In regards to telling him, I leave it up to how much the gift cost. If it is something relatively small like $20...I will just keep it to myself. If he went off and got something completely ridiculous that I will never use and it cost him a pretty penny, then I will let him know so he can return it. I rather him keep the money then me stay with something that I really don't want. Rather be honest than broke. 

I have to be honest that I don't help. He does ask me what I want and usually I can't think of anything. (Granted when I do think of something I want it is no where near close to any holiday or my B-day and I ALWAYS forget what it was when its a gift giving event). SO I try to remember to put things on my Amazon WishList even if it isn't from Amazon..that way when he does want to get me something he can just take a peek at what I have on there. And I can do the same for him. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like another poster said if you say something you might not ever get jewelry again...or just tell him you don't want jewelry this year....or go online and point out the kind of jewelry you'd like to give him a better idea I think men are kind of clueless sometimes. This doesn't sound like the worst problem to have :) sometimes it's the thought that counts, right? Then again I haven't seen the jewelry :) good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH has previously shown a flare for brightly colored gem stones...
  • My husband does the same. Any holiday or special occasion, straight to the jewelry store. I despise the heart shaped jewelry so I've created a wish list on Zales website (his go to store). I update it every few months and make sure there's a variety of price ranges. I emailed him the link ages ago so be can access it whenever he wants. Works perfectly -- he can continue taking the easy route by gifting jewels and I get something I'll actually wear.
  • My DH is a terrible gift giver. Our first Christmas he bought me an office chair and was so proud of himself. We've started just emailing each other links to what we want for Christmas and now we're so much happier. I know on the zales website, there is a link where you can "send a hint." That might be a more subtle way of showing him your style.
  • I would be so excited to get jewelry, even if it was ugly lol - my husband always puts a lot of thought into whatever he gets me but it's usually on the more practical side. Part of me thinks he doesn't want to get something too expensive and risk me not liking it. I would feel way too bad to tell him if I didn't though.
  • Why don't you ask him that he not get you any jewelry this year?  I don't think that would hurt his feelings if you gave reasons other than his hideous taste.  You can say, "I just have so much already" or "jewelry is a waste of money right now" or flat out ask for something.

Good suggestions however he completely ignores my wishes deciding his hideous jewelry choice us better and I'm just being modest.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Honestly it's sounds like a tradition gift. I mean who cares if it's not your taste that's something he put thought into. Be happy that he gets you something, he's showing you he cares enough to get you a gift. Tell him thank you and put it in your jewelry box. My husband has bought me "ugly jewelry" before, it's not ugly just not my taste I've only worn it a handful of times and ALWAYS get compliments on it. I wear it just to let him know that I appreciate the fact that he cared enough to buy me something that HE thought I would like.

That's his taste in jewelry and he bought it to see you wear it and it will make him happy. Tell him you want something else or quit being selfish.

Crap I clicked report instead of quote it was an accident though I can't see that it did anything anyway.

His ugly jewelry goes in the even more atrociously gaudy jewelry box. It's just a waste and I don't think it's wrong to want your DH to pay attention to who you are and what you like instead of getting a gift with a certain price point and thinking phew I got the job done.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• MLE_C2B said:

Honestly it's sounds like a tradition gift. I mean who cares if it's not your taste that's something he put thought into. Be happy that he gets you something, he's showing you he cares enough to get you a gift. Tell him thank you and put it in your jewelry box. My husband has bought me "ugly jewelry" before, it's not ugly just not my taste I've only worn it a handful of times and ALWAYS get compliments on it. I wear it just to let him know that I appreciate the fact that he cared enough to buy me something that HE thought I would like.

That's his taste in jewelry and he bought it to see you wear it and it will make him happy. Tell him you want something else or quit being selfish.

Crap I clicked report instead of quote it was an accident though I can't see that it did anything anyway.

His ugly jewelry goes in the even more atrociously gaudy jewelry box. It's just a waste and I don't think it's wrong to want your DH to pay attention to who you are and what you like instead of getting a gift with a certain price point and thinking phew I got the job done.
    This has nothing to do with what I said. He can buy you ugly gifts all he wants. They are ugly to you but not to him. He bought it for you with no price tag bc he wants to see you wear something HE bought for YOU. Be happy he buys you jewelry. He's trying to make you happy with the things he likes. Yes there's nothing wrong with you thinking he would get you something that you would like but he's not he's buying to see you wear his gifts, he thinks they will look beautiful on you. If they are atrocious then wear them around the house, it will make him happy. Hell my husband bout me CZ diamond earrings that were super cheap and kind of gaudy and sometimes I get dressed and put the ugly things on just so he can see that I appreciate his gifts. It's not hurting me. He likes to see me wear them, I do it bc he liked them enough to buy me.
  • Ha my husband doesn't even remember he bought me those things. He also didn't notice when I cut off 6 inches of my hair. You don't know him, I know he didn't " buy them to see it on me" he does to check off a list.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• It seems to really bother you so it's time to bring it up. Either tell him the truth, or use some of the suggestions you've already received here. Another one you could say is that you don't like having jewelry on around your LO because it could scratch him/her or you're worried for when they're older and want to grab at your necklaces and earrings (ouch). If you think he would be genuinely hurt by bringing up the truth that you just don't like what he buys, I would go with the latter and make up some kind of "excuse."

It doesn't bother me too much, but I've also received jewelry that's not my style from DH but personally I love that it's from him. I may just not wear it all the time. A perfect example of this is a few years ago he bought me a sapphire pendant. I liked it ok, but didn't wear it a ton. Fast foreward to my bday this year and he gave me the same exact pendant. No joke. He forgot he gave it to me before. I felt really bad about it because I obviously didn't wear it enough for him to remember it was the same thing. However, it all worked out in the end. We took it back and I picked out something else I love. And I make more of an effort to wear the original pendant because I feel like it means a lot to him...and its growing on me now lol

TL,DR say something before you start getting duplicate things you don't want.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DH hasn't bought me jewelry since my wedding band. Whomp whomp. Before that I received a heart necklace, diamond stud earrings, and my engagement ring. All were my style. I suggest just mentioning that you have a lot of jewelry and maybe something else would be better next time.
  • MLE_C2B said:

Ha my husband doesn't even remember he bought me those things. He also didn't notice when I cut off 6 inches of my hair. You don't know him, I know he didn't " buy them to see it on me" he does to check off a list.

Then stop bitching about it and give the shit away. Problem solved.
  • MLE_C2BMLE_C2B member
    edited November 2014
    Nevermind it's thanksgiving....
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Well, this is awkward...
  • MLE_C2B said:

Ha my husband doesn't even remember he bought me those things. He also didn't notice when I cut off 6 inches of my hair. You don't know him, I know he didn't " buy them to see it on me" he does to check off a list.

Then stop bitching about it and give the shit away. Problem solved.
    I knew you'd give the bitch slap on this one. Applause! This is like the people-buy-my-baby-clothes-and-I'm-so-ungrateful-so-hear-me-bitch-about-it.

I'm in the same boat as most bumpies who PP and don't get jack shit for jewelry.

At least this DH tries but can't please with the attempt.
  • Glad you think you know my DH better than me in the last 13 years.....
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• If bitching means questioning how to stop the money wasting politely and hinting that I wish he showed he knew me a bit better then fine I guess I'm bitching. But asshat( w) really? Did you need to go there? Obviously bored and the board is running slow with real things to flame. Sorry I don't worship every piece of crap delivered to me. I wasn't raised by a doormat.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• MLE_C2B said:

If bitching means questioning how to stop the money wasting politely and hinting that I wish he showed he knew me a bit better then fine I guess I'm bitching. But asshat( w) really? Did you need to go there? Obviously bored and the board is running slow with real things to flame. Sorry I don't worship every piece of crap delivered to me. I wasn't raised by a doormat.

Uh if you've been married that long then why are you asking an Internet forum on how to "politely ask" your DH to not spend so much or buy what you want. Do you honestly think he walks into a jewelry store with intentions of buying you something "ugly" uh no. When you buy a gift you pick what you like, if they don't like then they're problem let them deal with it. And bored? Are you fucking kidding me? Like you can't be serious right now. And yes you're bitching and your being selfish. I don't worship anything given to me but if my husband buys me something I think is ugly I'm gonna tell him but I'll also wear it just bc he took the time to buy it. Also I don't understand your doormat statement, it's stupid.
  • Your, you're not the same thing.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• I was merely having thoughts on what to say and curious what other women do because I just knew I wasn't the only one. Several normal people got my point and graciously gave their opinion. You on the other hand decided to take a spin and start an argument. Ok fine I'm a big girl it doesn't really bug me I'm just an insomniac. I'm also amused that every time I type ashaw it corrects to asshat. Yeah that's how I roll at 1am. Get off your damn pedestal. You've been married I'm guessing 2.5 yrs given your SN? HA! Give it another 10 and then you can preach to me about being the perfect, never disappointed wifey.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• ashaw512 ashaw512 member
    edited November 2014
    Lol at you getting all butthurt and trying to flame bc I made a gramar error. In ten years my husband will still "know" what I like and other times he will still buy me ugly shit but I'm not going to bitch about it. It doesn't matter how long we've been married that has no relevance here.

This is ridiculous do you know how many children don't get christmas gifts?? And you're bitching about getting ugly jewelry? Why don't you tell your husband instead of getting you some ugly ass necklace that you don't appreciate and go buy some presents to donate to toys for tots or your local children's home and stop being so fucking selfish.

Eta a word.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"