Breastfeeding
Options

Bad Advice?

My SIL just had a baby a week ago and lil guy has some jaundice and latching issues. My SIL has worked with a LC and was told to nurse one side then have her husband give baby a bottle while she pumps to empty her breast to see how much is left. Then pump the other side. Is that right? Part of me thinks she should just latch on the other side and forego bottle at this stage in the game to get them both used to latching/BF. Am I wrong?
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Bad Advice?

• Options
    Hey....recognize you from my BMB!  Anyway, when I had #2 and #3 they were both jaundice, and even needed to use biliblankets when sent home.  I was told to supplement both of them because it's critical to increase intake to clear their system.  However, I was able to supplement with pumped BM since I was able to pump more after nursing.  What I did was nurse both sides, and then DH would feed a bottle of pumped BM while I pumped what was left.  Being jaundice makes them tired/lazy and they don't nurse effectively sometimes, and drinking from the bottle is easier.  I never had an issue getting them back to 100% EBF after supplementing with bottles of BM.  If latch is also an issue, maybe that is why LC is saying to give more in the bottle?  The bottle would only be short term until jaundice resolves, and if SIL is pumping the milk, it shouldn't affect her long term supply (versus using formula).     

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"