November 2014 Moms

3 Week Old - Cry It Out?

I need advice. Since literally Day 1, in the hospital still, MH has been Team Cry It Out. He insists that the baby is fussy (ie screams if not held) because he's sleepy, and will only fall & stay asleep if he cries. That if I rush to him, we'll only reinforce bad habits later. But Noob is only 3 weeks + 1 today! At what point can a baby form habits, and til when do they just need to be comforted? I can't stand to listen to my baby scream from another room, and husband can only laugh at me for being so upset.

Re: 3 Week Old - Cry It Out?

• Loading the player...
  • I can't say more than what others have already said, but please do not let your newborn cry it out. I recommend a book called "Bedtiming: The parents guide to getting your child to sleep at just the right age." This book was a lifesaver for me. It talks about baby development and how it affects sleep at all different ages. It also discusses different methods of sleep training and WHEN it is appropriate and effective to use them.
  • edited November 2014
    My pediatrician said something that has really stuck with me.  When babies are in the womb, they are used to getting everything they want - they are 100% taken care of.  So we cannot expect them to self soothe right away.  

We are working on a "bedtime routine" so she gets used to that.  Sometimes she'll wimper for a few minutes as she's dozing off but we don't let her CIO yet.  Probably won't until 4-6 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"