April 2014 Moms
Options

Does this fit your Thanksgiving?

Vegan mushroom gravy is definitely common here in Portland, Oregon (although we are sticking with good ol' fashioned turkey gravy at our house), but what about the rest of you? Are these dishes common on your Thanksgiving table? I have never heard of some of them, and frankly, frog eye salad sounds disgusting -- not just because of the name! Also - snicker salad?? WTF, Dakotas. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/25/upshot/thanksgiving-recipes-googled-in-every-state.html?_r=0

Re: Does this fit your Thanksgiving?

• Options
    My MIL makes frog eye salad, but I don't eat it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • Options
    Ummm definitely not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Out of all of those, corn pudding is the only one we do and I'm skipping it this year.
  • Options
    Live in Minnesota and my MIL makes wild rice casserole; I'm not a huge fan. I grew up in Wisconsin and never heard of brown berry stuffing. The common between the two is snicker salad which is popular and delicious!
  • Options
    @MissWhis‌ they sell Snickers salad (seasonally) at Freddie's!! At least, at the sketchy one on 82nd Ave near my house. :) Not that I have ever purchased said "salad."

This was a very entertaining article. So many new culinary possibilities....

• Options
    olenkapdx said:

@MissWhis‌ they sell Snickers salad (seasonally) at Freddie's!! At least, at the sketchy one on 82nd Ave near my house. :) Not that I have ever purchased said "salad."

This was a very entertaining article. So many new culinary possibilities....

WHAT? That's bonkers. I go past that one frequently lately while taking Win to Book Babies at Holgate Library. I'm totally looking for snicker salad next time! It sounds so wrong that it must be right.
  • Options
    I was surprised with a lot of those, and they don't seem regional to me. In CO the only person I know who knows what frog eye salad is, is a transplant from the Midwest.
    snickers salad and sopaipilla cheesecake sound amazing.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    Yup, cheesy potatoes and seven-layer salad will both be served at our Thanksgiving (Michigan).
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    I have lived In utah my whole life and not one thanksgiving have I ate frog eyed salad. Although I know what it is I didn't think it was so popular here? Who knew? As for the snicker apple salad.. That stuff is freaking delicious. Yum!

P.s what the scalloped potatoes? without mashed potatoes and gravy thanksgiving just wouldn't feel right !
  • Options
    Snicker salad is wonderful
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    deer jerky...nope

What is cookie salad?
  • Options
    Duh. Everyone knows funeral potatoes are for Easter, not Thanksgiving.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    It's not part of my thanksgiving meal, but collard greens are big in parts of VA so I'm not surprised. There are only 2 on the map that I haven't heard of before
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"