July 2014 Moms
Options

Opinions on Reglan for milk supply

I went to my doctor today for an IUD but also ended up talking to her about my decreasing milk supply now that I'm back at work.  She prescribed Reglan and said to take it 3 times a day.

I wanted to ask a few questions...

• Has anyone else taken it?
  • Did you like it?
  • Did it aid your your milk supply?
  • Any side effects?
Thanks
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Opinions on Reglan for milk supply

• Options

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole - my husband is a lawyer and worked for a firm that handled Reglan cases.  It can cause tardive dyskinesia - a really effed up neurological disorder that makes your whole face twitch.

Obviously it doesn't happen to everyone, but he told me so many sad stories that I wouldn't consider it. :(

Eek.......
    @SaraRL07 I haven't tried it.  I would try coconut water, Fenugreek, brewer's yeast, lactation cookies/dip/smoothie, oatmeal, avocados, nut butters, and other things first, fo sho.

*SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Regarding the Tardive Dyskinesia. Research shows (I would link it for you, but I'm on mobile.) that your risk is of developing TD on reglan is likely less than 1%:
    You are on it less than 12 weeks.
    You do not have any other mental illnesses.
    You are not taking any other medications that act within the central nervous system.
    You do not have any current repetitive involentary muscle movements.
    No one in your family is known to have TD.
    You are young (talking less than 70).
    You do not have any other co-morbidities (like diabetes).

If you have any of these, the risk can range from 1-10%.

I'm surprised your doc jumped straight to meds, but I don't know what else you've tried either. I have never personally seen the results of it's use for lactation. However, I have seen it used and have prescribed it hundreds of times for nausea or GI motility issues for short periods of time without once seeing a case of TD. Just wanted to shed some light on the black box warning for you so you could make an informed decision. Sorry I can't be more help in the milk supply area of use.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you everyone for your input.

i have tried everything else... extra pumping, eating oatmeal, lactation cookies...my doctor told me the side effects and went ahead and prescribed it in case i wanted it.  I think the big thing is stress and irregular pumping while at work

My freezer stash is almost gone because I've supplemented it when i haven't produced enough.  

now i just need to think if all the risk is worth it vs feeding the baby a bottle of formula once a day

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What pump do you have? I had a terrible time with my supply with DS - could never pump more than 4oz. I got a different pump this time and I am pumping 8 oz per session at work. I am doing nothing else differently. I had a Medela PISA with DS and this time I bought a Spectra.

• Options
    I almost went on it too, had the Rx filled & all. I tried everythinggggg to up my milk supply before getting to that point. Finally I had an epiphany that my boys will better on formula rather than having a mom who could potentially succumb to the side effects of the Reglan. They were scary sounding and although I literally cried, grieving the end of BF/pumping, I got over it right away and my boys are 100% FF & happy and healthy :)
  • Options
    I was in your same position. Had tried EVERYTHING. So I got it and took it for a month. It definitely increased my supply during that month with no side effects. But when I stopped I went through a mild depression, but I was stopping BFing at the same time and know that can throw your hormones into a tail spin. I think with the next baby I would do it again if it meant one more month of BFing early on. But if I was past the 3 month mark, I wouldn't (had to start it at 6 weeks with mine). Hope that helps!! And big hugs! An under supply can make a mommy very sad. Just remember, your little one needs a happy mommy more than anything else! Once we started on all formula, I feel like we were both able to finally enjoy each other.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"