July 2013 Moms

If you have Speech/language concerns

This helped us:
https://m.kidshealth.org/parent/growth/communication/not_talk.html

Our pediatrician has referred Alex to the SPL for free (state eval). When in doubt, ask for a free evaluation. Early intervention can help!

Also, if you are like me & get sad that you don't get to hear all the beautiful words from your LO: hang in there. I went through it with Abby & it can be emotionally very difficult for mamas.

Especially if you are active in reading, signing & sounds etc. you feel like you are "doing everything right" & your little monk has taken a vow of silence.

You also get the well-meaning comments & suggestions.

"Are you sure you are reading enough?"

"What about sign language?"

"Can they hear you?"

Speech delay or anything related is not related to intelligence. So you might get some comments about that.

I am extremely happy for others' LO's & all their words. I just want to reach out to those with one or two words to say that the late talkers are just taking it all in. They'll pipe up in their own time!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you have Speech/language concerns

• Rmnam1 said:

@primrosemama hugs >:D< I'm in that boat with you. We also took advantage of free early intervention through the state.it was nice to get an evaluation to assess her language needs. It's hard because I know she is so smart but the communication limitations are frustrating for both of us.
    Plus Ds1 was super verbal really early on, so it's a completely different experience this time around.

Hugs!! It's a hard row to hoe! Hang in there!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• This is what I needed to hear today! LO doesn't generally use any real words but runs a bunch of sounds together from time to time like he's saying a sentence. And good luck trying to get him to repeat what you say, he'll just look at you like you're crazy.
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This is what I needed to hear today! LO doesn't generally use any real words but runs a bunch of sounds together from time to time like he's saying a sentence. And good luck trying to get him to repeat what you say, he'll just look at you like you're crazy.

Alex will actively shake his head when you try to get him to make sounds. He knows you want him to repeat, but the cheeky little monkey is doing things his way. X_X

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• My DD was chatty but my boys seem to be the silent type. DS1 can't keep his mouth closed anymore and he is super smart. I don't think about speech to much right now but it is awkward when people stare at Liam expecting a "Hi" or "thank you"
    I never think he has speech delay, I just thought your LO's were ahead of the game. Liam babbles and says "mama, dada" but he isn't really addressing us. I think he is calling the dogs but since these names are Lilly and Leila it just sounds like lala.
    Thanks primm for the link!

• emmanemm said:

Thanks for posting this. Can't tell you how many times mil and sil compare mackenzie to her cousins. My favorite comment from mil went like this, "well we thought she was going to be so smart at first, she picked up things quickly." So now my kid is dumb ~X(

Ugh

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Thanks for posting. It definitely is hard not comparing my LO to everyone else's.
  • We got our free eval about 3 months ago we are in speech now and have been since the end of October. I actually called for my eval without my pedi. I had concerns but my pedi did not, I work in early intervention and a lot of my friends are speech pathologists.

I have learned to celebrate the small milestones and achievements! He now sits down when I say sit in the tub!

Good luck mammas
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I'm a big fan of EI and we've transitioned into Early Childhood Special Ed for DS2. Trust your instincts. If you feel something isn't right, keep bringing it up and keep pursuing solutions. You really have to be your own advocate to make sure your child is getting the testing and later services they need. And things move s l o w in the system. 

There is still much that DS2 says that we can't understand, or have difficulty understanding even in context, but he has made such great improvement and most people can now understand most of what he is saying. And so far it isn't holding him back with his peers at preschool. I'm very glad we pursued services.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for posting this Prim! We did EI for gross motor and get PT services once a week--it has helped Caleb make so much progress in the last six months! He's gone from just sitting and rolling to crawling, cruising, walking well with assistance or a push toy, climbing stairs, and now even standing alone for a second or two. Just waiting on his first steps! :) Abby and Alex are lucky to have a great supportive mama like you :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I 100% agree. Also if you feel your LO is not understanding everything, have their receptive language checked. My DS was always very verbal and had tons of words. He could identify all his letters and numbers at 19 months. I always thought his not listening to me was because he is 1 and then 2. Instead I find out at 3 he is has a receptive and expressive language delay. He has been in speech since July. I am starting to see some expressive language from him just this past week, but his therapist said it will take time for the receptive language. She said he would benefit from more speech sessions so I am trying to get them through the town's early childhood programs since my insurance will not cover more. I just wish I noticed the receptive delay sooner and called EI. My DD at 17 months follows directions better then DS did and DS still cannot follow a 2 or 3 step direction. If he was my second I feel i would have caught this sooner. EI is so great since it is free and they come to the house. I say if you are concerned, call, and worse case your LO does not need services, but then you will at least know.

My friend's daughter was in EI from 15 months until she aged out at 3 for speech and her language is so much better then DS's and she is younger then him so EI does a great job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"