2nd Trimester

Amniocentesis Test

edited November 2014 in 2nd Trimester
My doctor had mentioned to me at my next visit (20 week ultrasound) of doing a amniocentesis test... I'm 20 years old and feel as though this might not be necessary. I do want the best for my baby but regardless I will love her unconditionally no matter if there happened to be a defect. All of my tests prior have come back perfect and everything looks excellent so they have told me... So I was wondering from other women if I should proceed with this. Honestly the thought really stresses me out. I asked my mother and she said she wouldn't really worry about it being so young... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Amniocentesis Test

• Never heard of this being suggested unless something was suspected!
    Me: 34 DH: 34
    Married 3/22/14
    Baby #1 GIRL EDD 2/4/2015
    FVL/History of PE/Gallbladder removal 8/7/14 @ 14w1d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You should ask your doctor why an amnio would be suggested if all the screening test have been fine. It doesn't make sense.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree I would question your doctor as to why you would need this test. There are less invasive tests that can be done if he felt you really needed to be tested.
  • Seems completely unnecessary if so far everything has been looking good with no problems. Please talk to your doctor. Question him and get full answers. You have every right before you agree to such an invasive test. Good luck.
  • Usually it's recommended when your genetic test had unfavorable results. You might want to confirm that your results were all favorable
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Very well. Thank you all ladies. I will definitely look further into getting a logical answer. I do appreciate it! Blessings. Xo-
  • I definitely agree with PPs, ask your doctor why they want to do an invasive test. The only way it would make sense is if something you thought came back fine didn't, otherwise I can't think of a reason they would be suggesting an amnio.

Anniversary

• An amnio is a very serious test and i cant even imagine undergoing it with no real reason. Mine was very uncomfortable and put me out of commission for 3 days, not to mention it has a 1 in 200 chance of miscarriage.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers AL always welcome
  • I do agree it doesnt make sense for it to be suggested if all your tests came back perfect. Talk to your dr and weigh the pros and cons if necessary. My DH and I chose to not have it done because we only had one marker amd im 23. The odds just didnt seem high enough to me. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"