April 2014 Moms

My dog ate chicken bones!?!

I'm such an idiot, I was eating a chicken breast and finished and went upstairs to change LO, and my border collie totally ate the breast, bones and everything while I was upstairs.

I called my vet and they recommended vomiting, but the vet is out at a conference today. So I called another vet and they don't recommend vomiting, they say give her fibrous food to help her pass them.

Anyone have any experience with this? I can't believe I was so stupid to leave the chicken out! :(

Re: My dog ate chicken bones!?!

• edited November 2014
    @nicole mackenzie‌ < thanks Bump tag fail. You could induce but how long has it been? I think you have to do very soon after. Agreed look for discomfort signs, make sure drinking and peeing. How big is your dog? When I worked at the vet dogs passed lots of crazy things! Good luck.
  • JessimaxJessimax member
    edited November 2014
    The risk is with perforation, whether they go up or down to me the risk would be similar and making the dog barf doesn't sound like fun.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet nor do I usually impersonate one. When our crazy kids swollow razor blades they are removed endoscopicly. That seems extreme for chicken bones.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone. I caught her within minutes, maybe seconds of her finishing. She had two paws up on the table still. Now it's been about an hour. She seems fine, chasing the cats and such. I'm going to try the fibrous food since the available vet won't induce vomiting. I really hope it works, but all the scenarios are running through my head!

She's about 30lbs. She ate tin foil last year and it didn't affect her, fingers crossed for the same results!
  • Thanks! Got home and gave her the food, let her out back and she danced around the yard like normal. Now we play the waiting game.
  • Never fun! Glad she's feeling alright. We don't generally recommend vomiting up chicken bones as they can lacerated the esophagus.

Usually dogs can pass the bones. Continue feeding. Watch for vomiting, anorexia, straining to defecate, blood in stool, abdominal discomfort.

I wouldn't be horribly surprised if she gets a little diarrhea from the "treat". Some more sensitive dogs can get pancreatitis.

Good luck :)
  • @nicole mackenzie!

Honored you guys thought of me :)
  • I got a great tip from my vet when something similar happened to my dog. Go out and buy tinned asparagus, it binds with the chicken bones and makes them less likely to do damage.

I've never heard of that.

I'd do canned pumpkin instead. Fiber is good to help pass things.
  • Talltrees82Talltrees82 member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks @ nicole mackenzie! That makes sense about the vomiting risk. I'm kind of glad now that my regular vet wasn't available! She's still doing well. And I get the awesome job of inspecting her poop with a flashlight this evening.
  • Coming in late it just wanted to say I hope everything turns out ok!

• @jodibolivar‌ thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely concerned about that happening!
  • So sorry. My late 100lb dane/lab swallowed a bbq pork rib bone whole once. It was prob 4-5 inches. The vet did induce vomiting, but no success. We had to have the surgery to remove it. (It was also NYE which killed our plans and incurred the after hours fees). Hope your pup passes the pieces without incident!

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I got a great tip from my vet when something similar happened to my dog. Go out and buy tinned asparagus, it binds with the chicken bones and makes them less likely to do damage.

I've never heard of that.

I'd do canned pumpkin instead. Fiber is good to help pass things.

I've never heard of pumpkin before either. :D

But I was told it's the same thing that happens when a dog eats grass. (I swear my dog is part cow) usually when she eats grass there is something in her next poop that is not easy to get out.

I hope your pup is okay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @zazu13‌ sorry to hear about your pup!

Still waiting for her to pass the bones. But the good news is she's still acting normally!
  • How's your dog feeling?
  • I'm glad to hear she's doing well!

I'm the type of person tempted to call lost pet ads to see if the pet was found. I hate seeing a sign up for a year and not knowing!

So I had to ask :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"