Multiples
Options

Birth Plans After Twins

I had a c-section with my twins at 35 weeks 6 days. I went into labor on my own around dinner time and they decided to go ahead and go for the c-section which happened around 2:30 the next morning. Baby B was transverse so it seemed like the right call. I had two blood transfusions after the surgery and extremely low blood pressure during the surgery but otherwise recovery was just fine. (It helped that they both had pyloric stenosis and had surgery about a month into their lives so that took the focus off of my recovery - haha! Everyone is great now!)

Now I'm about 30 weeks along with #3 (all by herself in there) and am fretting about the choice between repeat c-section and vaginal birth after c-section. Right now the plan is to schedule a RCS for 39 weeks and see what happens before then, try VBAC if I go into labor on my own and be flexible. My doctor/hospital require that to VBAC you have an epidural, no pitocin or anything to help labor along, and you have to use the doctor on call because they aren't allowed to leave you during the process.

Part of it is that I've never had a vaginal labor but I want to do what is best for this baby and myself. The articles aren't totally helpful as I haven't had a vaginal birth before and I don't have any idea if I will go early, progress properly, etc. I don't want to unnecessarily labor a long time and then end up having another c-section anyway but I don't want to unnecessarily have surgery either. Any insights or experience from people who have been in a similar situation?
After 2 losses, IVF #2 brought us our little boys.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Now we're waiting on our miracle baby ... a little GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Birth Plans After Twins

• Options
    If it were me, I would opt for c-section as it is the safest method after already having a c-section. I tend to be afraid of the what ifs. Is vaginal birth something you feel strongly about wanting to try? If so, then I say trust your doctor. If you're worried, I say c-section for peace of mind.

Best of luck!

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Options
    My singleton was my first and was a c-section so even if my twins had presented correctly I would have had a repeat. A was breech though. I had no trouble healing from either but it's a very personal decision.

Best of luck to you!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had twins via c section at 35.5 weeks as well I loved my experience and if I go back again I would definently have another c section just because I know what to expect and the unknown scares me! But it's a personal choice of what you want and what your doctor recommends for you
  • Options
    I had to decide between VBAC and repeat c section and ultimately went with the repeat c. My dr would have went with VBAC with the same restrictions as yours but did not recommend it as the pregnancies where so close together. I wound up going into labor the night before my scheduled c , my water broke and I started having contractions really close together and painful. They got me in the OR right away and I couldn't wait to get the spinal block! I'm glad I went with the c section, this time not being a true emergency was so much easier! The recovery was way quicker.I'm 4 weeks out and I have been able to lift and do everything with my 15 month olds comfortably since week 2. Do your research, ask several Dr's and go with what you are comfortable with. What made up my mind for me was when my very pro VBAC dr told me if it was her in my case she would not do it. Everyone is different and it's a tough choice,I hope either way you have a smooth and easy delivary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wishing35 said:
    I had to decide between VBAC and repeat c section and ultimately went with the repeat c. My dr would have went with VBAC with the same restrictions as yours but did not recommend it as the pregnancies where so close together. I wound up going into labor the night before my scheduled c , my water broke and I started having contractions really close together and painful. They got me in the OR right away and I couldn't wait to get the spinal block! I'm glad I went with the c section, this time not being a true emergency was so much easier! The recovery was way quicker.I'm 4 weeks out and I have been able to lift and do everything with my 15 month olds comfortably since week 2. Do your research, ask several Dr's and go with what you are comfortable with. What made up my mind for me was when my very pro VBAC dr told me if it was her in my case she would not do it. Everyone is different and it's a tough choice,I hope either way you have a smooth and easy delivary.
    btw I see that you have two 15 month olds and a new baby - I may be in your shoes soon with twin 10 month olds and possibly KTFU. Any kind words? (I did start a new thread if you want to comment there). 

To pp - I think I would choose a repeat C myself. I'd rather recover from the c section than recover from both a failed labor and c section. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board