3rd Trimester
Options

Evening primrose oil...

I'm 38 weeks 1 day and I'm not dilated or effaced at all. The way my doc put it, my cervix is closed and long

Re: Evening primrose oil...

• Options
    Because it's not time to give birth yet. What exactly is your question?
  • Options
    Sorry I don't know why the whole message didn't post. I was wondering about the evening primrose oil, if anyone has tried it, and does the capsule just dissolve if you insert it vaginally...??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited November 2014
    I started EPO orally at 34 weeks, and then started taking it vaginally at 36. 1300mg 2x a day both orally and vaginally.

I followed this protocol with #2 and #4. Didn't get around to doing it vaginally with #3.

It contains precursors the body needs to make prostaglandins. It doesn't actually contain them, and won't do anything (soften the cervix) unless your body is ready.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    Ummm I still don't get this. Your body is made to have the kid when its ready. Why rush it?? If your doctor tells you to I could see it, but why would you want to speed something up that is designed to happen at a certain time?
  • Options
    EPO shouldn't make you go into labor early, but just help the process along when your body is ready. I have heard of STMs using it if their first pregnancy required induction because their cervix wouldn't start the ripening process on its own. Some people's bodies benefit from the help. That being said, I wouldn't use it without my OB advising me to. OP - at 38 weeks, you still have plenty of time. Some people walk around dilated and effaced for weeks, while for others, they kinda go from zero to 60 very quickly. Try to relax and let your doctor worry about your progress.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OP - I posted about this in D14 a week or so ago and got some good responses, if you want to post stalk. My practice recommends 4500mg a day, orally, statrting at 36 weeks (they recommend this to all patients). I've been taking it as much as I can remember to - usually I get 2000-3000mg a day. No experience, but thought I would throw it out there that my huge practice is a big proponent of it. They said it may be particularly beneficial because I had a leep 10 years ago, which can often cause issues with cervix dialating, even though my body might be giving it all the right signals to do so.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited November 2014
    I started EPO orally at 34 weeks, and then started taking it vaginally at 36. 1300mg 2x a day both orally and vaginally.

I followed this protocol with #2 and #4. Didn't get around to doing it vaginally with #3.

It contains precursors the body needs to make prostaglandins. It doesn't actually contain them, and won't do anything (soften the cervix) unless your body is ready.
    Why start so early?? Your body doesn't need "help" knowing when to go into labor and what to do.
    Because that is the typical protocol (the one given by my midwife), and it isn't meant to induce labor. It isn't oxytocic. EPO and other therapies are more common practices within midwifery care. If the body isn't ready it won't do anything, whether it's prostaglandins via semen or the precursors found in EPO and other EFAs.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I used it with DD bc my mw recommended it If you're trying for a vbac. I went into labor on my own and had a successful vbac. I'm using it this time as well. I started orally once a day at 36 weeks then at 38 weeks mw recommended doing 3x a day. I take one in the morning, one in afternoon, and insert one at bedtime. Right now I'm 3 cm but no active labor yet.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"