Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Bedtime Trouble/nighttime CDs

My daughter is 2.5 and has not been going to bed until 10 or 11, sometimes even later. Bedtime is a struggle every night. I get her pj's on and try to read to her from 8:30 to 9. Most nights she doesn't even listen to the stories, she talks to herself or looks at another book or will get off my lap or out of bed in the middle of reading. Then when reading time is over and it's time for her to go to bed she wants to read. I tell her we already read books and it's time for bed now. She consistently gets out of bed, before I can even walk out of her room. I've tried sitting with her and she asks for books or drinks or cartoons. I'm at the point where I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking maybe some bedtime music will entertain her enough to stay in bed but soothe her to sleep. What are some good CDs or other bedtime suggestions.

Re: Bedtime Trouble/nighttime CDs

• Options
    Why don't you just turn the lights off, leave the room, and shut the door behind you?  Why does she need to be "entertained" to go to sleep?
  • Options
    Is there a reason you're starting bedtime so late?  It sounds like you may be missing the window and she's overtired, which makes it a lot more difficult for her to fall asleep. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aditigirl said:
    Why don't you just turn the lights off, leave the room, and shut the door behind you?  Why does she need to be "entertained" to go to sleep?
    Not everyone is interested in locking their kids up to CIO from 3 weeks on.
    Seeing as her child isn't 3 weeks old, not really relevant.  Also, I've never advocated for CIO and don't do it myself.  I just don't go running immediately to my child when they start fussing, even at 3 weeks.  There's a difference between fussing/crying for 3-5 minutes before going to your child and actually letting them CIO for lengths on end (which, again, I don't do).
  • Options
    greyt00greyt00 member
    edited November 2014
    How many times in a night have you tried putting her back in her bed?  The first time she follows you, say "It's time for bed" and put her back in.  Every time after that, put her back in her bed and do not speak.  Keep putting her back.  As long as there is no positive reinforcement for getting up out of bed, she will get the idea eventually.  Depending on her reaction, I know this can be easier said than done.  I've been through a lot with DS1 at bedtime.

I would also agree that her bedtime might be a little too late.  Does she nap?  What time does she get up in the morning?  Has this been a problem ever since she moved from a crib to bed she can escape from? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"