Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Feed every 2-3 hours or on demand

Which do you do for breastfeeding and why?

Re: Feed every 2-3 hours or on demand

• I breastfed on demand but also didn't let my baby go longer than 2-3 hours at first. It was on the advice of the doctor.

I was told that it was important to breastfeed at least as often as the baby wanted. (for supply and because the baby needed it) I know some people who were given slightly different advice.
  • leela02leela02 member
    edited November 2014
    I mainly FF but our ped said 2-3 hrs until DD was back to birth weight (or close). Now I feed on demand. I know others who BF all day so that baby sleeps more at night, not sure if that works for all babies though. I tried that approach on DD because our ped suggested it, so I woke her up from her naps, but it just made her fussy at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • In the first week I would feed on demand and would make sure it was no longer than 3 hours. Now I still feed on demand and he usually doesn't go more than 3 hours anyways. Sometimes if he's having a good nap or at night he'll go 5 hours but that's not very often. I'd rather him tell me when he's hungry. 
  • I guess I do a combo. I never let him go longer than 2- 3 hours due to worry my supply could dry up, though I will feed him sooner if he is hungry
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"