August 2014 Moms
Options

holiday traditions

So I was talking with dh today about what kind of family traditions for the holidays he had since mine didn't really have any. I really want to start some this year with K!

Interested to hear what other families do. Do you have some you do that you love and want to carry on? New traditions you want to start? Or maybe you had some that you didn't like and are not going to/didn't carry them over?

Re: holiday traditions

• Options
    I plan to start giving LO an ornament every year so he has a bunch to take with him when he eventually moves out. My family never did this but I think it's a really sweet idea. Haven't decided yet if the ornaments are going to be home made or store bought. My family had tons of other traditions but none that are worth starting this young.
  • Options
    We really love opening jammies on Christmas Eve. Usually we make whipped hot cocoa and watch a movie (doesn't have to be Christmas themed). This year since DD1 is understanding Santa we will be leaving cookies and milk for him under the tree. I feel like our traditions are pretty cliche.

The one new thing I am introducing is a paper chain advent calendar. Each slip of paper will have a holiday themed activity for us to do that day.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our only tradition growing up was that we opened all our gifts Christmas Eve and woke up Christmas morning to stockings to open.  I think we did it that way because we would always be busy with extended family on Christmas day. We still do it now even though we are all grown and no longer get together with extended family.  I works out well so we can go to Christmas with both our families.  We haven't started any in our little family yet but this year I plan on making it fun for DS1 because he finally gets it. Decorations, cookies, and maybe I will get a fun Advent calender.  DH has zero traditions.  His parents have never even put up a tree, they put lights on random crap in their house instead.  Like a basket. 
  • Options
    We used to get new jemmies on Christmas Eve every year. I plan on continuing that one with DD starting this year. My mom would also make an advent calendar of sorts with Christmas stories. She would wrap up 24 of them and number them. We would open one each night from December 1 until Christmas Eve (that one was always The Night Before Christmas). I plan on doing that one eventually, but not this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For thanksgiving we're going to add a Turkey Trot since neither DH or I like watching football.
  • Options
    Lots of fun ones.... We always decorated for Christmas the day after thanksgiving. Starting December 1st until Christmas Eve , if we were "good" the Christmas elf would leave a few pieces of candy in our stocking (long before elf on the shelf), driving around to look at Christmas lights, Steaks for dinner on Christmas Eve, read t'was the night before Christmas on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    Last year we did a birthday cake for Jesus. DS was only 1.5 but it helped him understand. I think I will do that every year. As far as other traditions, it has been hard as we've always been traveling between families.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Options

My mom always did the 12 days of X-mas for me, while I was growing up, I LOVED it, so I will now do that with my LO.  She would let me pick a present from a basket each of the 12 days before x-mas, it kind of replaced the "stocking stuffers", and built up the excitement for Santa!

• Options
    These are all really great! Thanks for sharing :-)
  • Options
    We go to the Christmas tree farm to pick out the perfect tree. Also making and decorating sugar cookies using cookie cutters. We do advent calendars and this year are starting the Elf on the Shelf. Last year I got us all PJs and this year got us matching ones. Driving around looking at lights plus lots of Christmas music. Most of those activities are more for my toddler but DS will be along for the ride.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    jennl7 said:
    cdseno said:
    ....... DH has zero traditions.  His parents have never even put up a tree, they put lights on random crap in their house instead.  Like a basket. 
    Please don't take it as mean, but I couldn't help but chuckle out loud at this.  

Our tradition this year will be stockings with our names and we'll probably do an ornament for every year.  V will grow up know The Oak Ridge Boys Christmas music like I did.  H's family they all spent the day at grandma's for Christmas.  When V is older we won't be doing this.....maybe go later in the day for dinner, but it won't be a spend the whole day away kind of thing.  I want him to enjoy his day at home.
    It isn't mean to chuckle at it.  They are super weird.
  • Options

We had several traditions growing up that I intend to do with my kids. On Christmas Eve, my mom always made a bunch of appetizers for dinner and we watched a Christmas movie. We still do this on whatever day we celebrate Christmas with my family. We also decorated gingerbread houses every year. My mom would usually buy the individual kits at Target so you don't have to put anything together. My brothers are all in their mid 20's and still ask to do this. We also decorated Christmas cookies and picked out an ornament every year. My mom always did a fabulous job of making everything seem magical so I have some big shoes to fill with my kids.

Next year I would like to start doing the "kindness elf". It is like elf on the shelf. You set the elf up like you would do for elf on the shelf but for he has a different good deed to do for others every day (i.e. drop off cookies at a nursing home, bring hot chocolate to a bell ringer, etc.). I like that it will be fun for the kids while reinforcing service to others.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"