January 2014 Moms

WWYD - minor MIL issue

So here's the thing - we are living overseas and it's hot where we are, which means that we really don't own any warm clothes for DD. But, we're going to spend Christmas in England with DH's family (cold!). My MIL very sweetly thought to buy a warm outfit for DD to wear when we fly over and first arrive and just mailed it to us. It's adorable, but WAAAY too big. DD is still wearing six month sizes anyway, but even so this looks like it could easily fit a two-year old. (the labels don't have a size listed, oddly.) Anyway - I don't know what to do. Do I just put the huge clothes on her anyway and roll up the sleeves by about four inches, or put her in something else and just pretend I forgot about the new clothes or something? (I do have some other clothes she could wear just to travel in and would be fine) I can't figure out which would make my MIL feel less bad/awkward. (She's very sweet and we get along well so I'm not trying to get back at her for anything!) Would love so suggestions!

Re: WWYD - minor MIL issue

• What they said ^^
  • I would bring it with you but have the baby wear something else on the plane.  Maybe you could exchange it for a smaller size when you are there?  Thank MIL for thinking of the baby! 

My MIL just bought DD a cute winter outfit but it is also too big.  It will probably fit her in the summer :(  I am going to tell MIL that the outfit is adorable, but I exchanged it for a smaller size so it will fit her this winter.  That way MIL also has a better idea of what sizes to buy her for Christmas and her birthday. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you should tell her that it is too big and see if you can exchange it. Of course thank her and all.

I know my DD gets frustrated with clothes that don't fit correctly - and my number #1 concern is making sure my baby is comfortable and taken care of....so I'd rather MIL feel a little awkward (but know for the future) than my baby be uncomfortable through a plane ride and such.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Yeah I'm team tell her too.
    It's a long flight & the last thing you or baby will want to do is have an outfit change after landing.
    Enjoy christmas in England. I'm from Ireland so a little bit jealous you are going to be over the pond for Christmas!
  • My family lives in England. So jealous! I would love to be going back for Christmas!!
  • switcheroo or maybe get it tailored if you can afford it? Just a little shortening and hemming shouldn't cost too much. 
  • I would just tell her.  I dont really see how that is awkward - it is not like she handmade the outfit or something.  Baby sizing is notoriously awful and the same size in two differnt brands can be drastically different so it really is no reflection on her.  Let her know you appreciate the thought and it really is very big on her.  If you have nothing else for her to wear then wear it but if not get something else and bring the outfit with you to exchange for a smaller size. 

• I would tell her as well. Nicely of course and thank her.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• I would just tell her it's too big. I'd tell her how cute you think it is and that you're disappointed she won't fit into it for Christmas, and then maybe ask if she wants you to bring it with you to exchange it for a smaller size, or if you should just save it for next year. I don't see any reason why she'd be upset or offended - it's not like you just think it's ugly and don't want your LO to wear it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"