June 2015 Moms

eating too much?

I will admit before I go pregnant I had a pretty significant eating disorder ( mostly anorexia). I was in full blown relapse at the time I got pregnant. I have had this problem for 16 years.

When I got pregnant everything change and I hardly ever have eating disorder thoughts. I started eating things that I haven't since I was young and soon learned more I ate the better I felt. But now I gotten to a point that I have horrible cravings and I always give in. I feel like I am eating WAY too much. I have gained a couple of pounds and I am 11 weeks. My stomach is huge- I look pregnant. It can't be bloating because it is there all day-- I am starting to think it is all fat. I am starting to go crazy!

Will these cravings goes away eventually? Will I always be this hungry? I just feel like I am going to always want to eat this way now. This is a stupid concern but pretty real to me. Any advice?

Re: eating too much?

• My unexpert opinion is its yoir bodies way of getting nutrient that maybe you where lacking to begin with and now that your growing a human and are responsible for it nutrition your doing the right thing. A couple of pounds is fine no worries. The cravings will come and go some you will be able to resist and some you wont. One day you may want all junk and the next be craving oranges. You wont always be so hungry. For me its small things all day i cant eat meals after 6 mnths there just isnt enough room. Everyone experience pregnancy differently and you are the one who has to decide whats good and what isnt. I LOVE that your body has taken over your disorder for the good of you and your baby. Congratulations on being pregnant and try to enjoy it and not worry to mich about the weight gain. Its going to happen there's no stopping it. When you start to feel overwhelmed remember your growing a human and they need you to give them the nutrients theu need so eat the tacos hamburgrs and the apples. .lol
  • @thursdaychick‌ I can totally relate to you, I have battled bulimia for a long time and before that anorexia. I have major food issues and body issues. Being pregnant is such a gift and we need to be strong and try to think we are doing what's best for the development of our baby. It's also such a miracle and the more I read on these boards about people who have unfortunate stories makes me realize so if I gain 30 pounds and have a healthy baby in the end it's all worth every pound that we will lose after. Just stay strong!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM and also had a pretty significant "bump" by 11 weeks. At 13 now, it's even bigger. And yes, like you, I pretty much followed every craving and ate constantly.

However, that has REALLY slowed down now. As in, I'm not having as many cravings or needing to eat as constantly. But if I was still feeling the need to do that, I still would be! My guess is that it will change for you, too, in the next few weeks. It seems pretty common to need to eat often in the first trimester (either to ward off nausea or just because that's what your body wants).

I totally commend you on following what your body wants/needs, even though your mind may be saying "this is wrong"! It must be really hard to transition from an eating disorder into pregnancy. I agree that if you're not already talking to a therapist I would get on that ASAP to stay healthy.

Best of luck. xx

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have been in recovery from my eating disorder for a while now, but I struggled pretty severely for 10 years... I can definitely imagine all of the thoughts you're having to challenge right now. I think it would be good for you to see a counselor to sort out these thoughts and work towards a solid state of recovery before baby comes.  In the meantime, keep listening to your body. If you've only gained a couple pounds at 11 weeks, that means you're probably eating the right amount - it might feel like a lot to you based on your history, but our bodies need a lot of fuel, especially when creating a human!  Hang in there!
    BFP#1: 9/21/13  EDD: 5/31/14 m/mc @ 7w6d on 10/27/13
    BFP#2: 10/4/14  EDD: 6/7/15  DD born 6/4/15💕
    BFP#3: 12/24/19 EDD: 9/6/20
  • I just wanted to say its a really brave thing to come on a forum and write about your personal experience with having an eating disorder. OP it's definitely not a stupid concern. I'm glad to hear that you started to change your ways of thinking after pregnancy. I hope you continue along the path of a more positive outlook on food and nutrition. I would not worry about a couple of pounds. If anything that sounds healthy but always check with your doctor about healthy weights throughout your pregnancy.
    I also had a big bloat during weeks 8 to 10 but it has settled down now at week 12.
    Cravings are normal. Just remember to include as much nutrition where you can. So if i crave chocolate i drink it with milk. If i crave chips i try to eat some fruit before or after. Thats helped me avoid bad calories but still satisfied my cravings without going crazy. Hope that helps. Best of health to you.

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• A couple pounds is just right! Your belly may look bigger because, yes, bloat but also, things move around. Your organs push up to new places. Constipation is common too which can give you a belly. 

And if you were struggling with anorexia when you got pg, maybe you were underweight? If so, your body is going to want (and need) to gain more than a woman who is in the normal range. Remember, your body will take care of the baby first. Even though the baby is very small right now, your body is doing a LOT. Growing a placenta during the first tri - an ORGAN!!! is pretty major. And your body is already trying to gather reserves for not only the hard work of L&D, but to be able to breastfeed (whether or not you plan to). 
    Id urge you to discuss your history and concerns with your dr, if you haven't already. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• I agree with everything PPs said. It's healthy and normal to gain a few pounds during the first trimester. If you look it up, you'll see that's right on track. It can be scary for you, so getting some reassurance can be helpful and definitely talk to your OB and/or a therapist about your concerns. I too have felt hungry all the time during the first trimester! It was challenging for about a month in the middle because I was so sick I didn't want to eat but I was still hungry, and now at 12 weeks the hunger is even increasing! Look out because apparently in the second trimester the hunger gets even more. It's okay to be hungry and eat a lot--your body needs fuel to make that tiny human! Remember too that indulging your cravings is fine so long as you make sure to eat an overall healthful diet.
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    Married: 11/20/10
    Baby #1!
    BFP: 10/2/14 EDD: 6/1/15

January June '15 Siggy Challenge:
    Pinterest Fails

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Agreed that a few pounds is totally normal, and your body is probably holding on to the food you are taking in and making sure baby gets what he or she needs.

Very brave of you to be willing to talk about this.  This forum is a fantastic resource and can be of great support.  I agree that talking to a professional would also be beneficial for you.  Life can throw us curve balls when we least expect it.

H&H 9 months to you!
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Thanks everyone. I wasn't going to post anything because I feeling so good lately about the whole eating disorder thing. It is crazy to me how much being pregnant can change the way I think. But yesterday I had a bad day. I want to change my identity of someone who has an eating disorder ( which I feel that I had for the last 16 years) to being who I actually am ( still trying to find myself) and a mom/wife.

I am not currently in therapy, I really never felt it did anything for me. I think I will be just fine, I will just have those days. Thanks for all the support.. it made me cry! 

• Thanks everyone. I wasn't going to post anything because I feeling so good lately about the whole eating disorder thing. It is crazy to me how much being pregnant can change the way I think. But yesterday I had a bad day. I want to change my identity of someone who has an eating disorder ( which I feel that I had for the last 16 years) to being who I actually am ( still trying to find myself) and a mom/wife.

I am not currently in therapy, I really never felt it did anything for me. I think I will be just fine, I will just have those days. Thanks for all the support.. it made me cry! 
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who totally understands where you're coming from on this! Pregnancy blew me down like a hurricane. I expected hormones, emotions, nausea, aches and pains, but I did not expect the utter lack of control I feel. Over my body, my emotions, my brain, my environment, even my transport since I haven't been driving! They say this is good practise to go with the flow and since I am a control freak and need that desperately I am just trying to enjoy the ride!
    Me: 25 DH: 26
    Married: 11/20/10
    Baby #1!
    BFP: 10/2/14 EDD: 6/1/15

January June '15 Siggy Challenge:
    Pinterest Fails

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am a RD that works with eating disorders, please see an outpatient dietitian and therapist ASAP.  You will be doing the right thing for you and your baby, congratulations!

Married 2008, fur baby #1 2009, fur baby #2 2012, first baby due June 23, 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"