One & Done: Only child

Thanksgiving Plans?

I decided I couldn't complain about no posts, then rarely post.  What are your plans for next week?  We have Thursday and Friday off work and are going to the northern part of the state to celebrate Thanksgiving and my grandparents' 65th anniversary on Thursday.  Then going to the central part of the state for the remainder of the time off to spend time with DH's family.  DH just told me yesterday that he took Wednesday off too, so was thinking we could spend the day together.  I work from home, so I MIGHT be able to swing this.
University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

Re: Thanksgiving Plans?

• We're doing something really unusual.

DH and DS are flying to California to do Thanksgiving with his family. I'm staying home. I get along fine with the in-laws but I don't have enough vacation time. And then for Christmas, we're trading. I'm taking DS to my family in Arizona (also a flight; we're in North Dakota) and DH is staying home. Because he doesn't have enough vacation time for two holidays either. Plus he's required to work either Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day every year. Everyone has to do one of the two.

My family was always pretty low-key about Thanksgiving, and I've had many solo years of it as an adult, so it's really not a big deal. Plus I hate turkey. It's possible a coworker will invite me over. My boss already has. But I'll probably prefer the day off. Local friends are all leaving town.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are traveling four hours to visit ILs. We will take DS to the children's museum Friday. I had my student's essays due the Wednesday before so I'll have a lot of correcting to do. I am happy to have a project while up there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just remembered that my aunt and uncle from out of state (and don't come to much) will be there.  Great.  Their daughter is nine months younger than me, and her daughter is two months younger than DD.  My aunt and uncle have made EVERYTHING a competition between my cousin and I, even when we don't participate.  Now they do it between our daughters.  So I get to hear about how SMART and GIFTED and CULTURED their granddaughter is.  Sigh.

By the way, I think my daughter is extremely smart and talented, but I don't engage their behavior, so I just sit and listen.

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

• I'm cooking a big meal for my sister, her BF, her ex husband, my ex husband, my dad, and the three kids. It's going to be an interesting meal to say the least. ;)

My ex is then taking DD up to visit with his grandparents (they live an hour and a half north of me) and I am going to do ALL OF THE SLEEPING. And online shopping because fuck black friday crowds. LOL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • My work is closed on Thursday/Friday and I took Wednesday off.  I have so much work to do that I might decide go in for the morning.  We are going to my ILs on Thursday (MIL's first then to DH's grandparents later).  The rest of the weekend I just want to relax and catch up on sleep.

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Driving an hour south to my husband's aunt's house. Fifteen or so people, good food, good wine and we usually do a puzzle too. Holiday puzzles are a family tradition on my side, that I brought over to his. 

This year someone invited my husband's step-mothers ex-husband. Say that ten times fast! I honestly don't know why, because he's a drunk asshole, but step-SIL is coming and I think she felt bad that her Dad would spend the day alone. He has no other family or friends who speak to him due to his toxic behavior, including a daughter who cut him off years ago. Husband and I agreed, the first sign of ass'ness and we're leaving. There's a good chance he will dig his own grave first. Whether it be a subtle mysoginystic in comment like "This pie is delicious. Must be made by a women who knows her place in the kitchen" or repeatedly referring to all Asians as Orientals, I'm hoping my husband's hippy liberal aunts will smack him down. 

• 2013mommy said:
    Does your DD take a pacifier? Any sucking motion will help with ears popping and having a pacifier has helped DS when we fly!
    Oh I hadn't thought of that. When DH and DS fly out tomorrow, this will be the first flight where DS is paci-free. Maybe I'll put some Tootsie Roll pops in the carry-on. DS loves those anyway.
  • Zembits said:
    We're heading to my in-laws ' on thanksgiving, which is a two hour drive each way. They live in Plymouth and it's a pretty big holiday to them. The next day we'll go with my parents to help them pick a Christmas tree. I'm looking forward to letting DS run around all these places but it's going to be chilly!
    Love Plymouth!  I have family in Marshfield!

• Zembits said:
    We're heading to my in-laws ' on thanksgiving, which is a two hour drive each way. They live in Plymouth and it's a pretty big holiday to them.
    When DS is older, I want to try that original-menu Thanksgiving dinner they do at the Plantation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"