2nd Trimester
Options

20 weeks and husband says he doesn't love me anymore

Hi, I've never posted on one of these things before but I wanted to get some insight and support.

My husband and I have been together for over 8 years, married for 6.  A year and a half ago we moved to a new state and started settling down.  In June I got pregnant after 3 months of trying and both of us being eager to start a family together after all this time.  My husband has been dealing with depressions since moving here but it's not the first time he's been faced with it during our relationship.

Since I've been pregnant, my husband has been distant, unaffectionate and just generally irritated by me.  For a few months he said he was depressed and started taking 2 different anti-depressives before giving up and going back to nothing.  He seemed to be getting out of the funk except towards me.  Initially I thought it was due to the pregnancy and that he had changed his mind or was nervous about having a child.  3 weeks ago we had a huge fight where I confronted him about his behavior towards me and he apologized and acknowledged that yes he had in fact been distant and he would try to change.  

Last night after an especially cranky 2 weeks of him being grumpy and rolling his eyes at anything I had to say, he said he doesn't love me and thinks he's been falling out of love with me over the last year and a half.  He only realized it after our last fight.  He said he doesn't think he'll love me again and that he doesn't know that he wants to.  He'd rather risk being alone and miserable for the rest of his life then stay with his wife and unborn child.

Until the pregnancy we had a wonderful marriage and we've never had anything dysfunctional.  I'm completely shocked.  He's agreed to try marriage counseling and we have our first appointment tomorrow but since he doesn't expect it to work I worry that he's already got one foot out the door.  

To add to this, I spent our marriage supporting him through graduate school after having to move away from my friends and family.  

I waited to find the right person and have kids later in life to avoid something like this and now I feel like my world is crashing down around me and I'm powerless to stop it.  

Does anyone have experience with marital counseling working for this type of issue or am I screwed?

I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done to keep my marriage but I don't know how that can happen if its only one sided.

Re: 20 weeks and husband says he doesn't love me anymore

• Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this...especially while pregnant. I do not have any marital counseling experience but i know talking things out with a professional can help. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks, really I'm just trying to figure out how to get through each hour by hour and then day by day.  

I'm hoping that counseling will help and from my research it seems that the issues it looks like we're having are very textbook.  Somehow that comforts me in that maybe there is hope.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Crud, what a horrible thing to be going through. The depression he had before could be part of the culprit. This may sound like a weird question but has he had his testosterone checked lately? Low ts could cause depression in men and may also be part of his turning away from you. It could be possible that he has mentally checked out from the relationship but I hope not for the sake of your family. Good luck with the marriage counseling.
  • Options
    I am so so sorry-- please seek counseling... while this board can encourage or sympathize you really need some professional guidance through a counselor or Pastor.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how difficult it is to be in your shoes, as I've been there myself. I'm glad to hear that he's willing to try counseling. My advice would be to continue to try to be positive and work on things. There is no guarantee that things will work out, but it's reassuring that you're both willing to try.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I've never been in a position like this but counselling is probably the best method for you situation. it sounds like he has some issues and a professional can help him figure out how to deal with his problems instead of taking them out on you.

• Options
    Im so sorry.  I too hope he give counseling his all and that you both can repair your marriage.  Id look in to individual counselors for each of you in addition to the couples counseling. 
  • Options
    Has your husband been in therapy for his depression issues? I have them myself and talk therapy in combination with meds has made a world of difference to me.
    Keep in mind that depression makes the world a very hard and scary place and can overshadow a lot of the good things about life. He has said very hurtful things but it could be the illness speaking. He need therapy and medication and the two of you should certainly speak to an expert. I wish you all the best and I am sorry that you are going through this while pregnant.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Hugs hugs and more hugs >:D<
    I agree with everything all the other ladies have said, but the statement that I agree with the most is no matter what you will be fine!!! It's so true. Good luck. I hope therapy will help you two get to the bottom of things, one way or another.
  • Options
    I agree with previous posters and I'm so sorry this is happenign for you!  I hope therapy will help you figure out a solution.  *hugs*
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad you're
    KristenMN said:
    Does anyone have experience with marital counseling working for this type of issue or am I screwed?

I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done to keep my marriage but I don't know how that can happen if its only one sided.

Sorry, not me personally But two of my girlfriends went through this. One while pregnant, other with a newborn. One is still working the relationship out, the other has gotten divorced and is happily remarried with a newborn. Counseling is key, for it to work or for you to part with closure. I wish you the best
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Any update? Thinking of you. >:D<

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. Lots of thoughts and prayers. I hope the counseling works
  • Options
    It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and that you are doing what you need to care for yourself and still be supportive of what he is going through - KUDOS because many of us might just fall into a pit of depression ourselves and that obviously is not good for you or your little one.

Lots of good thoughts and virtual hugs are being sent your way. Stay strong, stay healthy and eventually you will find your right kind of happiness.
    >:D<
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My first instinct would have been to tell him what a selfish buttface he is and to completely walk away... But I'm a stubborn jackass. While it's important to work on a marriage, the most important person in your life now is your soon to be born child (and you of course) I wish you the best in working things out. If it does not work out, you can have a beautiful life and find someone who values you and loves you for being you. Still... U should call him a buttface. [Can you tell that I am a super mature adult ;)]
  • Options
    Just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this.
    T&P 
  • Options
    Just wanted to add that my heart breaks for you. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers. I'm so glad to hear that he has agreed to go to counseling with you and truly hope that it helps. Best wishes!!
  • Options
    What a moron. He needs to grow up and realize he has a wife and child on the way. Hopefully the therapist tells him that. I wonder if him going on two different medications and then stopping caused all this?
  • Options
    I am so sorry for you.
    We went to counselling in january as my hubby totally got out of his mind for silly jelousy...
    We were fighting until 4 am... his actions and reactions were totally new and he became a stranger to me....
    I was so scared and upset....after 5 years of loving and supporting him, even in the worst situations...
    I said: no.
    I told him that if he wanted to leave me for some reasons, ok, but not before counselling: he owned me that!
    So we went on counselling together, then he went for a few sessions on his own.
    it definately helped.
    it did since the first session: although i was speaking about the same things then at home, he told me that he was listening differently because a third person was there.
    Since many things changed, included the fact that we decided to have a baby.
    I suggest you go and do not lose faith, also if your husband is a total foreign for you now...
    Good luck
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for you and really hope that things get better. I agree with previous posters that he should also be in individual therapy and taking his medications. My boyfriend and I both struggle with mental illness and if we aren't taking our meds correctly it really affects our relationship. I hope that therapy helps and that you both find a way to work through this.
  • Options
    I am in the same situation. I am 13 weeks pregnant and my husband told me at 9 weeks that he is thinking about a divorce. We already have a 11 month old and now we have one on the way. My husband has been distant in the past as well and last year when I was pregnant with our little girl he cheated on me. 

We went to counseling last year and it did work (he stopped cheating), but now he says hes not happy and that's why now he wants a divorce. I have started going to a counselor by myself. I have been at 2 meetings so far and it has shown me already how to make me happy and how to focus on me, my daughter and our unborn child but also how to focus on making my husband feel more ""safe" to be with me. "Safe" meaning happy and wanting to me with me. 

I have also started "The Love Dare" by Kendrick. This book has helped me see where my husband could be coming from and how to try to overcome it. It is a 40 day challenge of different dares for you to do on your husband. I am doing it without him knowing and he seems to be opening up a little more.

I know how hard it is right now, trust me!! If your are really wanting to stay and make things work (like i am) you got to just keep pushing through it and hope that everything will turn out right. Good Luck with everything...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"