April 2014 Moms
Options

bfing moms with vision issues

I've heard sometimes your vision gets worse while breastfeeding (can't remember if I heard it heard or during research)

From the day I went into labor my contacts get more "filmy" and my vision has gotten considerably worse (not being able to read in dim lighting, even worse night vision)

I have bad eye sight to begin with so I am trying to figure out if this is nursing related or if my Vision is quickly declining :(

I stopped nursing about two weeks so- if your Vision was worse while bfing when did things return to normal? I didn't wean, I quit cold turkey, if that makes a difference.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bfing moms with vision issues

• Options
    Mine is definitely worse. I'm sure hoping it will get better when I stop - it was already terrible to begin with!

I had an eye exam a couple months ago and my prescription was pretty significantly changed from before.
  • Options
    Mine is definitely worse too. I really hope it improves once I stop BFing.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Huh. I've heard that about pregnancy but never bf. I have terrible vision so I'm not sure I'd notice.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine have gotten worse with each kid. My eyes are incredibly bad. I wish I could do LASIK but I'm not a good candidate
  • Options
    I've always had awful vision so I can't tell if it's worse or not. I did almost fail the vision screening when updating my license but I hadn't gotten a new prescription in 2/3 years. So who knows if they are related or not. I've never heard of it.
  • Options

Huh. I've heard that about pregnancy but never bf. I have terrible vision so I'm not sure I'd notice.

This
  • Options
    Hormones, in general, affect your eyes. I keep meaning to ask my ophthalmologist friend when I should see her for a new prescription. Mine always change right after conception, get super dry and irritated during 1st tri, and change again at 3 and 6 mos pp. It happened the same all 3 times. I didn't notice it when I stopped bfing, but I assume it's because I was pregnant both times.
  • Options
    This is the first I've heard about this, but I was just noticing the other week that my vision seems worse... Like made me think I needed to get my eyes checked
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's just in my head but I feel like mine got better again after I stopped. It was awful while i was bfing and seems like it's improved since I've stopped. Who knows how true it is or if I adjusted. I need to go to the eye drs
  • Options
    I just got my eyes checked and they are the same but I have pretty low vision as it is! I was about to get lasik when I got preggers and they told me to wait until after bfing, so it can change.
  • Options
    My most recent eye exam actually showed a little bit of improvement in each eye compare to pre-pregnancy and I am BFing but I have heard that pregnancy makes it worse. My eye doctor wouldn't do an exam while I was pregnant.
  • Options
    My vision isn't noticably worse, but I haven't been able to comfortably wear contacts since 3rd tri :-( I'm hoping that'll change when I eventually stop BFing!
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    I just got my vision checked and it didn't change. Not that I really would care, I'm blind as a bat and blind is blind.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Interesting, I appreciate all the responses.

I should go to the doc just in case. I eithe rmy prescription needs updating or somethign else is wrong. Due to the shape of my eyes and an eye disease I had when I was younger I have increased risk for detached retnas (although I don't think the symptoms I am experiencing are relevant)

Ugh I hate not being able to see well. I'm not even a candidate for lasik which sucks balls. Now I am rambling. Anywho- hopefully it's something as small as an update on my contacts/prescription.

• Options
    Hopefully it's just an updated prescription, @Holljade‌ . I should probably get my eyes checked. Last winter I thought a knot on a tree branch was a little bird that sat in the same spot everyday, and today I thought a melting hunk of snow in our backyard was a cat. @-)
  • Options
    My eyes have declined too. Good to know it may be breastfeeding. Do you get a new script if it's just gonna change again? I need to make an apt but seems pointless if it will change back.

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Options
    I totally agree.

I stopped bfing about two weeks ago though- shouldn't it have gone back to normal already, if that was the reason? or would it take longer?  honestly have no idea..

• Options
    My most recent eye exam actually showed a little bit of improvement in each eye compare to pre-pregnancy and I am BFing but I have heard that pregnancy makes it worse. My eye doctor wouldn't do an exam while I was pregnant.
    This. My vision is quite a bit better. I noticed because I was having problems reading from my phone with my glasses on, and I'd read better with my glasses off. Went to have my eyes checked, and turned out my glasses were too strong.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"