May 2013 Moms

Potty Training Question

So this is going to sound really dumb but can I miss a potty training window?!?! 
The babysitter is telling me that J will tell her before he goes poop.  He can tell her when he's wet and when he's poopy and will grab a diaper when he's dirty.  He doesn't do that at home yet but I don't want to miss a window of opportunity just because I'm not ready yet.  I haven't read the books, we don't have a potty, I still think he's 6 months old, etc! I was planning on waiting until this summer to even introduce a potty...
Thoughts oh mommy experts?!?!?

Re: Potty Training Question

• I'm with @3timemom I didn't start training DS1 until he was close to 3 but if he's showing signs, just get a potty and praise him a lot for trying. I had to say "pee goes on the potty" about a million times before it clicked because accidents were a plenty!
  • We got a potty when he was 12 months. Every night before bath I sit him on it. He has now peed in the potty a few times. He is also telling us he has to poop before he poops and just recently he has said pee then grab his diaper. So im just going to start sitting him on the potty in the morning and slowly add it to his daily routine.
    I'm not one that is about "potty train your kid in 3 days!!" I just know he is finally stating to get it so we are just going with the flow.
    Augustus David - Born 5/08/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • The books I have read say the "easiest" time to train is between 20-30 months before they develop too much autonomy and realize they can choose things for themselves. We trained DD at 27 months using the 3 day method but it took 9 days not 3. I think the whole 3 day thing is that by 3rd day they understand where pee and poop goes but doing it consistently and keeping their pants dry takes a little longer. I am hoping to train DS at 20-22 months because I want to take advantage of his desire to be just like big sister.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • My older two were trained young but I am in no hurry. I think kids are just ready at different times no matter what we do. A is showing signs of being ready but I plan on waiting a little longer. I find waiting until they really get it means it isn't a long process. (at least with the kids I have been around)

I don't think you can miss a window.
  • I had just talked to our pediatrician about this. My son is able to let me know when he has to potty. My pedi said boys don't usually potty train until 3 but some may earlier. He also said they may show interest then stop for awhile. He said exposure is fine and let them sit on the potty chair even with diaper on and have them watch you. He didn't really think we would be successful in the he was older.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well that makes me want to try now and be successful and then go to your pedi! :)) seriously though, I'll just go buy a potty and see what happens.
  • I'm randomly lurking for Christmas present ideas haha (but don't worry I belong on this board).  Anyway, I don't think you need to push at this age, but I am a believer that early introduction definitely helps.  I had no intentions of early PT'ing my son but when I got him a potty at 12m he caught on right away.  He was fully potty trained (except night) at the age of 18m.  My daughter is May 13 baby and she's pretty consistently going on the potty.  I think I may push it and see what she can do with big girl pants when my son has a break from school!  I don't think you can miss a window, but I personally think if they show interest you should help :)  They are definitely old enough!  

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"