Infertility

Ever had a cold during IVF?

I have terrible luck and I caught a cold on Monday. My last day of BCPs is tomorrow and I go in for my pre-med appt on Sunday. My primary dr put me on amoxicillin, bromfed, and I'm taking a nasal decongestant too. My question for you all is: have you been sick while doing ivf injections? Did your RE delay your treatment? Is it ok to take my cold meds if they overlap with injections by a day or two?

I'm really just afraid to tell my RE because I don't want her to delay my treatment. If anything, I guess I could stop my cold meds a little early. What do you all think?
Me: 27 yrs old. Arcuate uterus, very short luteal phases (even with progesterone supp.), naturally long irregular cycles, poor response to all IF meds
DH: 27 yrs old. Low morphology
TTC since Jan. 2014. No BFPs ever :(
8/14: 1st IUI w/ clomid, BFN
9/14: 2nd IUI w/ clomid, BFN
10/14: 3rd IUI w/ clomid, BFN
12/14: 1st IVF, BFN. 6 eggs retrieved. 5 fertilized. 1 transferred. Two frozen embryos
2/15: 1st FET scheduled. Cautiously optimistic.

Re: Ever had a cold during IVF?

• Once you start your stims your re will probl tell you you can only take Tylenol. Are you running a fever? I got terribly sick with a bad stomach flu the week before stims during my first cycle I wish I would have waited another month. You really need your health to be good and to have all the strength you can have before starting. I would consult your re before you start. I know that being delayed sucked but it might be worth it.
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• I had a cold durning my last FET. My re told me I could take most meds as long as they don't have pseudoephedrine in them. I was only taking benedryl though.
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• Loading the player...
  • I was sick with an upper respitory infection, I could only take benedryl, amoxicillin or Tylonol. Call your RE before taking the decongestant, pretty sure that's a no-no.
  • I'm in the same boat. Caught a cold yesterday and start stims tomorrow. I haven't told my RE yet, but I guess I should :(

***  Losses Mentioned ***

Me: 35 this month DH: 35

TTC since January 2013

2/13: BFP  4/13: MC @ 9 weeks - D&C - no chromosome testing
    7/13: BFP  10/13: MC @ 3 1/2 months - D&C - chrom test normal

11/13: 1st RE visit for testing only - AMH .4 - FSH 11 - positive MTHFR (one copy)

2/14: BFP 4/13 (identical mono/tri quads, 2 conjoined) - MC @ 8 weeks - D&C - chrom test normal

10/14: RE 2nd opinion & IVF consult - Dx small uterine septum - AFC 3 total - recommended banking 3 ERs - DH slightly low morphology
    12/14: First ER cycle - EPP w/testosterone, Lupron microflare w/Saizen. 4R/3M/2F. Both abnormal. RE strongly recommends donor eggs.

• @ashleyat87‌ and @Rangiroa‌
    I also just came down with a cold...and start stims Wednesday. :( going to email my RE now.
  • I had a horrible cold during my IVF, including a fever. The RE said as long as the fever was gone by ET it was ok. It really sucked though. I wondered whether being sick influenced my poor results because my body was not at 100%.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I would tell your RE. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm surprised your doc gave you antibiotics for a cold. They're so over-prescribed and most times, people are sick from viruses. My entire adult life, I've refused antibiotics unless a culture came back positive for bacteria. That's just my rant! I work in the medical field and see the negative effects of over-prescribing every day.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Thank you everyone for your help! I have my pre-med blood work and ultrasound tomorrow. I can't hide this cold so I'll see what they have to say about it.
    Me: 27 yrs old. Arcuate uterus, very short luteal phases (even with progesterone supp.), naturally long irregular cycles, poor response to all IF meds
    12/14: 1st IVF, BFN. 6 eggs retrieved. 5 fertilized. 1 transferred. Two frozen embryos

• My RE just returned my email (gotta love the fact that he responds to emails so early on a Sunday morning!) and said that as long as I don't have a fever, it is fine to proceed. He said if I develop a fever, it is better to delay. He also said that it's also ok to delay, even without a fever, if I'd just feel more comfortable waiting. I'm taking my last BCP today and as long as I still have no fever tomorrow, I think I'll proceed.
  • @tumbleweed123‌ thanks for the update! I'm really not too sick (I've had much worse colds!) and I expect to be much better by Wednesday, when I start my meds. They didn't comment on my cold during my appt today so I took the cowardly approach and didn't bring it up. I just won't let my cold meds overlap with the injections to be safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"