Infertility
Options

Diet change

I just visited my Reproductive doc to start planning my IVF. I am going to start my birth control in Dec and fertility drugs in Jan, but trying to get as healthy as I can now. He wants me to stop eating carbs and fruits??? (My favorite food groups)

Any advice.

Re: Diet change

• Options

Did he say why he wanted you to stop eating carbs and fruits?  I asked my RE about eating low carb and she didn't think it was necessary.  She felt like the benefits are unproven and it would just add more stress to an already stressful situation.  My RI (reproductive immunologist) wanted me to eat low carb because my fastining insulin came back higher than what she wanted it to be, plus I am a little overweight.  Since she had a medical reasoning behind the diet change, I went with it. 

Ideally she wanted me to stay under 100g of carbs a day.  I decided not to count carbs, but instead focused on choosing low carb options for meals and planning meals based around veggies and lean protein instead of carbs.  I still eat carbs, I just try to not make an entire meal out of carbs. :)

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    I was encouraged to do high protein to prevent OHSS, but not necessarily decrease carbs. What's his reasoning behind no carbs at all? Make sure you're getting in your prenatal now to prevent deficiencies.

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I eat low carb, high protein out of habit because I feel better and it keeps the pounds off. It's not an easy diet to start, but once you adjust, it's no big deal at all. For most people, it's all about balance.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Options
    I'd probably stab myself in the face if I had to give up carbs and fruit. I asked my RE about any diet changes, but because me and my H eat pretty clean she said we were fine. I just need to watch my caffeine intake. But that was about it. 
  • Options
    The book It Starts With the Egg recommends avoiding carbs that are digested quickly like potatoes and white bread for carbs that are digested more slowly such as quinoa and other foods from actual whole grains (not whole grain flour). I am too tired at the moment to summarize why, but those were the recommendations and I highly recommend the book if you want to know more. 
    Me: 28, no diagnosis  DH: 33, MFI, severely low morphology, diagnosed 3/14
    IVF #1: May/June 2014: 10R/8F, 1 morula transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.
    IVF #2: July/August 2014: 18R/12M/8F, 2 blastocysts transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.
    IVF #3: October/November 2014: 22R/17M/15F, 2 early blastocysts transferred = BFN, nothing to freeze.

• Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I am willing to do whatever I can too help this ivf process work. I have already been off alcohol and caffeine, which were hard enough to cut out. Now I have to cut out my favorite foods. It sucks! I guess everything in moderation. I keep telling myself it will all be worth it.
    Thanks @km721. I will look for that book, I love reading material.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"